Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aga conversion Oil to Gas

Options
  • 10-01-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi There,

We live in south county Dublin and have just bought a house with an Oil fired Aga in it. We would like to convert it to Gas. Can anyone recommend someone to do the conversion for us.
    Than you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Niall Hanlon

I don't have an answer but I'm searching for the same thing. We have an oil fueled aga and we are wondering whether to sell it or convert to gas. It looks very nice but would conversion make it economical? If i hear of converters I'll let yo know. Niall

Please send all recommendations by PM.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SuePal

Hi, I had a conversion kit installed on my Aga. Its a special type of kit called a Snugburner and it reduces oil consumption by about 50%. Peter from AgaCentric did it for me and it works a treat. It has a timer on it too, which is really useful. You can find out more about the aga conversion on their website. I think it works on Rayburns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Hi There,

We live in south county Dublin and have just bought a house with an Oil fired Aga in it. We would like to convert it to Gas. Can anyone recommend someone to do the conversion for us.
    Than you

Hi,

Did you ever get this done or get quotes for it? Can you advise roughly the cost of conversion? Is it then much cheaper to run it by gas (i.e. for the same heat output)? Our Aga is burning through 1000 litres of oil every three months and we simply can't afford that!

Thanks, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sallynoggin

I have been putting some work into this. A convrsion Kit online would cost roughly Euro900 and you would then need your plumber to do the work on it. I decided not to do this as with the cost of the AGA, it is best left to the proffesionals. I got a few prices off AGA and off some AGA certified agents. If your flue does not need changing the cost seems to range from Euro1200 to Euro2000 for the exact same service. If converting I would advise to remove the water heating element of it as this is inefficient, difficult to control and arguably dangerous. I'm waiting for a guy to get back to me with a final price befor proceeding. more later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks for the reply. Can you please post a link to some of the conversion kits? I'm interested in your comment about the water heating as our only other option for water heating is electric which is pricey. We do have gas central heating though so maybe we could look into getting it switched over to the gas boiler. Please let us know how you get on?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I would have grave concerns over converting these appliances to gas, as the flueing may not be suitable, if you consider an oil to gas conversion on boilers domestically is considered a reportable installation on safety grounds.

Advertisement