Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra points for Honours Maths?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I was told all students get extra points(20 I think) just for doing honours maths this year.
    Is this true for all students, or does it only apply to certain colleges?
    Also, if it is true, does this also apply to repeats?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cormacfox

All students who are doing Honours Maths in the leaving get 25 points extra once you get a minimum D3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Also, if it is true, does this also apply to repeats?

Thanks!

It applies to everyone, and it also doesn't matter what year you did the LC in.

So, if you did your LC last year, and did higher maths and got a D3 or better, you get the bonus points added to that maths result. That is, if you are relying on your last year's results to get your points, they could be worth up to 25 points more than they were last year.

If you are repeating and are relying on 2012 results for points, then the bonus will apply if you get a D3 or better in higher maths in 2012.

The bonus is only of value to you if your maths result (including the bonus points) is one of your top six.

Here's a document on the CAO website that spells it all out and gives very clear examples: http://www2.cao.ie/schools_corr/sep_2011/BonusPointsMathsWithExamples.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Whatsername92

Thanks so much! Thats all I needed to know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Don't forget, you only get the points if Maths is already counted as one of your best six

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

Does anyone know if the extra 25 points counts for all grades above D3? Is an A1 worth 125 points? therefore, 5 A1's including maths and an A2 would give you more than 600 points. In this case are you just allocated 600 points? Also, does this extra 25 points work for applying to courses with high points like medicine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Does anyone know if the extra 25 points counts for all grades above D3? Is an A1 worth 125 points? therefore, 5 A1's including maths and an A2 would give you more than 600 points. In this case are you just allocated 600 points? Also, does this extra 25 points work for applying to courses with high points like medicine?

Cmon, read the link above. All the info is in that

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pio94

bscm wrote: »
    Don't forget, you only get the points if Maths is already counted as one of your best six

no.....your result PLUS the points...and then if its in your top6 you get to keep the points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

No, you can be allocated up to 625 for any course. For medicine, you're still given 1 point for every 5 after 550, so 625 is scaled down to 565.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

I just found out about this last week, I happen to find it a little upsetting in my case.

I got 570 in my leaving cert, have done a degree, and had hoped to return to college this year to study Veterinary Medicine. Ordinarily, I would be very confident of gaining a place in Veterinary with these points.

Under the new arrangement, I feel that my chances of attaining a place are greatly diminished. Borderline students who may previously have been just under the usual threshold of about 560 will now be able to eclipse me altogether, because they got at least a D3 at H-level maths, while I got an A1 at Ordinary level maths.

I should have done higher level maths I guess, but at the time I wanted to maximise my points and it wasn't worth the effort. I had always felt that returning to study Veterinary would be possible,and now it appears as though I may have left it one year too late.

I'm sure I can't be the only one in this sort of position. This was only flagged around 14 months ago, and perhaps it wouldn't have hurt to have given a longer run at it so as not to damage the opportunities of students who existed under a different system or who may have quit their courses at university in 2011.

bscm wrote: »
    In that case, surely it makes sense for a student only to take 6 subjects?

Since even if he's only going to get a C1 in honours maths, he's still better off with that C1 than risking getting an A2, B1, B2, or B3 in a 7th subject.

Anyone who is A or B level material should simply not take a seventh subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Theres so much confusion over that. If you get a C1 in HL Maths (95 points) it is counted above an A2 for points.

As unfortunate as it is that those people will now have higher points, I dont think its very fair to wait around when honestly, HL maths doers really do deserve some kind of recognition because its hard work. I think its been made fair by how it applies to anyone who previously did it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 antok93

from my understanding it doesnt have to be your best 6 before they are added

antok93 wrote: »
    from my understanding it doesnt have to be your best 6 before they are added

Your understanding is correct.

In the case below,provided by the CAO, Maths was the applicants worst points scoring subject. However, with the addition of the bonus,it became one of his top 6 points scorers. Therefore, it contributed to his overall points score.

23mt37d.png

Scheise.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Do you think the introduction of the honours maths is going to offset courses in the 500 point bracket? I'm repeating, and I'm carrying forward PASS maths, worried that this new point increase will jeopardise my chances of attaining a place. Basically do you think point requirements are going to shoot up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Do you think the introduction of the honours maths is going to offset courses in the 500 point bracket? I'm repeating, and I'm carrying forward PASS maths, worried that this new point increase will jeopardise my chances of attaining a place. Basically do you think point requirements are going to shoot up?

In a few areas, yes. A lot of people (but not necessarily most) aiming for/achieving 480+ points would be sitting HL Maths. Anything Science/Medicine etc related would see an increase of up to 25 points (possibly more with the general increase in demand). Arts courses of 480+ points may not increase (dramatically), because the amount of people with HL Maths applying for, say History, would generally be lower than the amount applying for Theoretical Physics.

There are so many factors determining points, the largest usually being demand, but I do think that the bonus points will push the points up for a good few of the current 480+ points courses (particularly in the Science/Medicine areas where demand is stable or increasing). It's impossible to predict points, unless there is a clear reason for increase/decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I'm worried about Business oriented courses. Are they going to be subject to this increase. When in the 500 point range, it makes a huge difference even it a course's requirement rises by 5 points. The course I'm looking at was 530 last year (no easy achievement still)

Advertisement