Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel balance and brake disc warping

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for the mech heads out there..

I recently changed my front discs and pads as the previous pads were slightly warped (vibration through the brake pedal and steering wheel when braking). The new discs solved the problem immediately.

In the underground carpark where I live, I can hear, with the window down, the pads rubbing against the disc- a light shimming noise. I know that this is not unusual. I jacked the car up last night to check for any warping on the new discs- none really noted. The pad is in contact with the discs on both sides and rotates freely.

My question is: if there is a slight imbalance in the alloy wheel / tyre (which there was previously but now rectified I think), would this affect the brake disc rotor? (Under braking- the vibration from the imbalanced wheel transfer to the disc that the pads are in contact with?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If they are only brand new then they will do this until they bed in properly. Its to be expected and has nothing to do with warped alloys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

listermint wrote: »
    If they are only brand new then they will do this until they bed in properly. Its to be expected and has nothing to do with warped alloys etc.

Yes I am aware of this- thanks.

What I am trying to figure out it is what caused the warping of the older discs and whatever caused it- will it affect the new discs eventually again.

The noise from the rubbing caliper is sometimes not constant- but a noise that is in rhythm to the speed of the rotating wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Veloce wrote: »
    Yes I am aware of this- thanks.

What I am trying to figure out it is what caused the warping of the older discs and whatever caused it- will it affect the new discs eventually again.

The noise from the rubbing caliper is sometimes not constant- but a noise that is in rhythm to the speed of the rotating wheel.

disks can be warped due to over heating, badly fitted pads. not fitting pads when required. worn front control arm bushings, wheel bearings.

They can also warp when the outside edge is ground down with an angle grinder from people looking to get the extra out of an old disk.

You would need a decently damage alloy wheel to cause warping. If they were balanced and alligned they are not the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its possible if its a floating disc that it wasn't torqued properly.

Or the hub wasn't cleaned properly before it was fitted.

listermint wrote: »
    You would need a decently damage alloy wheel to cause warping. If they were balanced and alligned they are not the issue.

Cheers lister- I had a balance issue with the wheels previously when I first got the car. There was a slight buckle in two of the wheels and vibration could be felt through the sterring wheel at speeds over 110km/hr. I had these wheels repaired though and the vibration at the higher speeds is now gone so I guess its not fair to say that this caused the brake disc warping on the older discs.

I will give another few thousand miles and see if the warping of the discs returns but hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If the wheel is buckled or suspension parts worn, these can cause vibrations when driving or when braking but they cannot effect the disks themselves, i.e a buckled wheel cannot damage the new disk.

Disks can only become warped due to thermal problems, normally over heating from very hard braking, worn disks(too thin), sticking/seized calipers etc or driving through standing water/flood with hot disks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Me personally I would reckons it's the metal clips that sit on the brake carier that the pads sit into I'd say that's what is rubbing slightly failing that my guess would be the dust heat sheid on the back rubbing

If the wheel is buckled or suspension parts worn, these can cause vibrations when driving or when braking but they cannot effect the disks themselves, i.e a buckled wheel cannot damage the new disk.

Disks can only become warped due to thermal problems, normally over heating from very hard braking, worn disks(too thin), sticking/seized calipers etc or driving through standing water/flood with hot disks.

Cheers Nissan Doctor.

The vibration I had from the buckled alloys previously is gone when i got them balanced so it must one of the reasons above that caused the disc warping.

On another note- it was Atlas in Drumcondra where I got the new pads fitted right before Xmas...! I read on posts here your working up there.

Cheers Nissan Doctor.

The vibration I had from the buckled alloys previously is gone when i got them balanced so it must one of the reasons above that caused the disc warping.

On another note- it was Atlas in Drumcondra where I got the new pads fitted right before Xmas...! I read on posts here your working up there.

I surely am. What car was it?

Cheers Nissan Doctor.

I surely am. What car was it?

It was the black Alfa GT. front pads and discs. Was talking to Gary I think about the possibility of a faulty pad wear sensor as it the new pads would trigger the warning light after pressing hard on the brake. I just disconnected the sensor problem solved....!

• Advertisement

It was the black Alfa GT. front pads and discs. Was talking to Gary I think about the possibility of a faulty pad wear sensor as it the new pads would trigger the warning light after pressing hard on the brake. I just disconnected the sensor problem solved....!

I remember it, It was me that worked on it and was talking to you briefly when you collected it.

I remember it, It was me that worked on it and was talking to you briefly when you collected it.

Ah right fair play... Thanks for fitting they are working great. Not too long before they bedded in which is always a plus.

swhyte027 wrote: »
    Me personally I would reckons it's the metal clips that sit on the brake carier that the pads sit into I'd say that's what is rubbing slightly failing that my guess would be the dust heat sheid on the back rubbing

You could be very right. At least there is no noticeable warping at the minute. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement