Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses broken into on O'Connell Avenue

Options
  • 10-01-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hey just to warn people, our house and our neighbour's were broken into there over last 2 days.

My housemate's coin jar was stolen (crime of opportunity we reckon) so we checked outside the house and found he'd left his patio door open (idiot never locked it).

The solid steel gate was unlocked, the bolts thrown back and was just closed to look like it was closed properly...the padlock had been picked and was on the ground.

I checked outside and found the neighbour's gate was kicked in (our own house has a fine plate steel gate to deter this) and they got in through there, then broke in the back of his house and robbed him. Then they came over the low wall between us (wall on other side is 15 foot high) and tried housemate's patio door.

My housemate is a total tool, please check your own houses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Happened me last year, it's not a nice feeling. They got in while we were asleep upstairs.They got away with quite a bit of stuff, it was all recovered after a car chase with the Gardai though

They never got prosecuted though as they were all 14/15 years of age. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Happened me last year, it's not a nice feeling. They got in while we were asleep upstairs.They got away with quite a bit of stuff, it was all recovered after a car chase with the Gardai though

Were you on O'Connell Ave?

I think this age this is ridiculous. I mean if you're up for the crime you need to be up for the time....

constantg wrote: »

I think this age this is ridiculous. I mean if you're up for the crime you need to be up for the time....

Nope,elsewhere ,along the Ennis Road

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Totally agree. If you are willing to commit crime be it robbing, attacking someone or whatever, then you should be punished when caught.

The shyte of people just being let away with crimes because of age just leads to scum feeling untouchable as they get older, and then when they are old enough to legally be punished they have free legal aid and a legal system that allows them to use all sorts of excuses to walk free, hence the amount of people in this country with over a 100 convictions to their name that still walk about free commiting new crimes.

Hey just to warn people, our house and our neighbour's were broken into there over last 2 days.

My housemate's coin jar was stolen (crime of opportunity we reckon) so we checked outside the house and found he'd left his patio door open (idiot never locked it).

The solid steel gate was unlocked, the bolts thrown back and was just closed to look like it was closed properly...the padlock had been picked and was on the ground.

I checked outside and found the neighbour's gate was kicked in (our own house has a fine plate steel gate to deter this) and they got in through there, then broke in the back of his house and robbed him. Then they came over the low wall between us (wall on other side is 15 foot high) and tried housemate's patio door.

My housemate is a total tool, please check your own houses.

Sorry to hear about that OP. Really crappy thing to have happened to you, and to your neighbour. They, the scum, seem to target a number of houses in an area around the same time so keep your eyes open.

My mother is not a million miles from you as she is on the main Ballinacurra road, and the same thing happens there in that there is often a run of houses broken into in a short span of time. About four years ago when she unlocked her front door she was met by the sight of two scumbags looking out from her kitchen at her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I had my house broken into 3 times in three years, once in John's Gate and twice in Clare Street, each time they got away with a few thousand worth of stuff, the police came each time and got finger prints, and pretty much just rolled their eyes as they knew who did it each time but couldn't prove it. Each time it was in the middle of the day while I was at work, a nice surprise to return to.
    While living in those areas I also had my wind-shield broken, my wind mirrors knocked off and my passenger door peeled back.
    Is it any wonder people are becoming disheartened with living here when this is the norm now. Before those three in 3 years I had never been broken into or any damage done to my car.
    I didn't get a penny of it back, an I had to go through the expense of moving again. I want to have faith in the system, and the city but it's hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I had my house broken into 3 times in three years, once in John's Gate and twice in Clare Street, each time they got away with a few thousand worth of stuff, the police came each time and got finger prints, and pretty much just rolled their eyes as they knew who did it each time but couldn't prove it. Each time it was in the middle of the day while I was at work, a nice surprise to return to.
    While living in those areas I also had my wind-shield broken, my wind mirrors knocked off and my passenger door peeled back.
    Is it any wonder people are becoming disheartened with living here when this is the norm now. Before those three in 3 years I had never been broken into or any damage done to my car.
    I didn't get a penny of it back, an I had to go through the expense of moving again. I want to have faith in the system, and the city but it's hard.

Ah hear, if they say they can't prove it with fingerprints I think you should sit them down and explain the purpose of fingerprinting.

Ah hear, if they say they can't prove it with fingerprints I think you should sit them down and explain the purpose of fingerprinting.

Me being a lowly pleb wouldn't get much of a say either way. As someone else mentioned, being under 18 holds a lot of sway. After one of the break ins I got a call that they caught a local junkie with one of my things, but that was it, heard nothing more after that.
    2 out of the three times I got a letter from the police with victim support numbers on it, I suppose that was better than a kick in the face, but wouldn't bring my stuff back, one of the things they stole was my sole possession from my grandmother, that was heart breaking.
    Ah well, we live and learn. :cool:

Unfortunately it is not enough to convict a person. The gardai can take prints, match those prints to prints on record, and the court system can still give a win to the criminal involved.

Me being a lowly pleb wouldn't get much of a say either way. As someone else mentioned, being under 18 holds a lot of sway. After one of the break ins I got a call that they caught a local junkie with one of my things, but that was it, heard nothing more after that.
    2 out of the three times I got a letter from the police with victim support numbers on it, I suppose that was better than a kick in the face, but wouldn't bring my stuff back, one of the things they stole was my sole possession from my grandmother, that was heart breaking.
    Ah well, we live and learn. :cool:

The "you have been a victim of crime letters"? I have two of them got in the last two years.

I even got a few follow up calls for one of them. They don't go much further than that though :(

I do criticise the gardai at times, but for the gardai that do their jobs well the legal system in Ireland must be a disheartening kick in the gut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

thats disgraceful !!

there is such a thing as the childrens court to prosecute minors - to try to deter them from recommitting crimes again....chances are if they go unpunished they will re-offend.

Kess73 wrote: »
    but for the gardai that do their jobs well the legal system in Ireland must be a disheartening kick in the gut.

It must be incredibly frustrating for them.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    thats disgraceful !!

You're telling me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Plenty of break-ins going on all over the city, know of two in the same estate, by the same people (same m.o.) in three days while the families were in bed, cash and two cars gone.

Review your home security!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Kess73 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that OP. Really crappy thing to have happened to you, and to your neighbour. They, the scum, seem to target a number of houses in an area around the same time so keep your eyes open.

My mother is not a million miles from you as she is on the main Ballinacurra road, and the same thing happens there in that there is often a run of houses broken into in a short span of time. About four years ago when she unlocked her front door she was met by the sight of two scumbags looking out from her kitchen at her.

That's awful! Like my thing is probably down to crime of opportunity; my F*****g Idiot of a housemate (nearly broke his jaw after he 'asked' me had I seen his coin jar, instead of checking his own bedroom door first). But yours was actually a genuine break in! First guy i see in my house is getting a good hiding, I'll apologise to noone about that!

Advertisement