Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson DC08 Motor

Options
  • 09-01-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a motor for a Dyson DC08 vacuuam cleaner.

Has anybody fitted a spurious make from ebay ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Looks to be worn brushes. I have been told its a waste of time replacing brushes on a hoover motor, anybody replaced the brushes ?

Just wondering if I would be better off to replace the motor with a spurious brand, rather than replace the brushes on my old motor ?

A new geuine Dyson motor is a bit steep but would I be better off with this in the long run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have you tried these people in the UK

They do EU delivery

Have used them a couple of times last year, and they were very good , but that was based on UK delivery

Yeah, came across their site alright.

Spurious motors on ebay for half that price. Just wondering if any people on here had tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I thought Dyson's had a lifetime warranty, no?

5 Years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't understand the 'problem' with replacing the brushes. It would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the motor assuming it's a DIY job and you're not paying someone to do it, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Not quite true on the life time warranty. My DCO5 is the best part of 13 years old and for a fixed fee of either €95 or €100, they will completely overhaul the machine (less the bit you lost). So it would be free for the first 5 years but after that a set fee. Might be cheaper than a DIY job.

I had a new motor, head, hose and reel fitted for the one fee. This was last year. I made the booking through the dyson website.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Not quite true on the life time warranty. My DCO5 is the best part of 13 years old and for a fixed fee of either €95 or €100, they will completely overhaul the machine (less the bit you lost). So it would be free for the first 5 years but after that a set fee. Might be cheaper than a DIY job.

I had a new motor, head, hose and reel fitted for the one fee. This was last year. I made the booking through the dyson website.

Wally Runs wrote: »

90 euro fixed fee.

Alun wrote: »
    I don't understand the 'problem' with replacing the brushes. It would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the motor assuming it's a DIY job and you're not paying someone to do it, that is.

I don't either. I rang an appliance spares shop and he told me if I replaced the brushes I would get 5 or 6 goes out of it and I would be in trouble again, with blue flashes. And the last thing I want is a blue flash. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement