Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will weight training stunt my growth?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am 17 and am 5.5/5.6, skinny and not very tall for my age. I used to work-out quite a bit until i heard weight training can stunt my growth. Eventhough most people disagree with that statement, i am still unsure. I recently got a pull up bar as i was thinking it would be ok to do exercises like pull-ups, sit-ups, squats and push-ups. No weights as such.

I was also told to do these exercises in moderation but i find that impossible. This is the obvious answer that everyone gives me. I dont know when to stop, I cannot set any specific goals that i want to achieve if i am weight training in moderation. So for me, it is either do it or dont, there is not really an inbetween.

Please let me know what your opinions are.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

No.
    It won't.

****Provided you use proper form, proper technique & a load that is appropriate, you could in fact do the opposite & promote growth as weight training can release growth hormones which can stimulate the growth plates in your bones. ****

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This rumour partly comes from the fact that many 'strength based' top athletes are short, which can be beneficial biomechanically. Somebody posted about a dwarf who was strongest in his weight class, and gymnasts are usually a lot shorter than average.

But nobody follows on this logic and worries about playing basketball making them too tall. It just makes sense that taller people will end up at the top level of the sport.

The pullups etc you mentioned are all still resistance exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

So for me, it is either do it or dont, there is not really an inbetween.

There is an in between and there can be moderation. If you're focused on next summer all the time, chances are you'll be injured before many summers have passed.

Focus long term IMO. No-one goes flat out all the time. Many athletes build up to comps slowly to peak at certain times during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Jimmy bo 186

rubadub wrote: »
    This rumour partly comes from the fact that many 'strength based' top athletes are short, which can be beneficial biomechanically. Somebody posted about a dwarf who was strongest in his weight class, and gymnasts are usually a lot shorter than average.

But nobody follows on this logic and worries about playing basketball making them too tall. It just makes sense that taller people will end up at the top level of the sport.

The pullups etc you mentioned are all still resistance exercise.

Thanks lads. Rubadub. What exactly do you mean by resistance exercise. Is it basically the same aslifting weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Thanks lads. Rubadub. What exactly do you mean by resistance exercise. Is it basically the same aslifting weights?

Yes.
    Or doing pushups or pullups or the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Most farmers I now aren't small and they been lifting heavy things since they could walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Scamaill

Check out www.scooby.com its dynamite!

Advertisement