Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog acting strange?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

I have a Springer Spaniel, she is around 5 years old now(human years). Over the last month or so has started to act a bit weird. She will go over to her dog mat she will wrap it up in her legs and more or less "hump" it.

We thought it was maybe the mat and bought a new one, she ended up doing the same one night in new one and caused a rip. Came in next morning and she had pulled out all the material in the inside of it.

She has not been neutered and has never been in pup. Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Humping can be a sign of dominance. It may be her way of saying "this is mine" as she will not scent mark (urinate on) her sleeping quarters.

Has someone been handling her bed more than usual? Or someone who does not usually handle it? Are there any new animals in the house? or has anything happened which would cause her to feel she needs to assert her place/ belongings? eg. removal of a favored toy.

There are other reasons , but this is the only one I have personal experience of. My little lady, will hump her bed after it is washed or if it has been handled by someone other than me / OH ie. scent of someone else off of it.

As for her pulling the inside out, that is pretty normal - once they find out that there is magical fluff inside, the bed/ teddy/ cushion etc. is done for! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, is she coming into heat? Or has she had a heat lately?
    Humping objects tends to indicate anxiety over something, or it is hormonally driven. Females can get quite humpy around their heat.
    As it is something that has only recently appeared, and if you're sure it's not a matter of her having hormonal influence from a nearby heat, it'd be a good idea to get her checked out by a vet (blood tests may be required) to make sure there isn't an underlying medical cause: there may be some underlying condition causing a hormonal problem, causing the uncharacteristic humping.

Advertisement