Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test tomorrow! Any tips?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've got my driving test tomorrow in Wilton, Cork. Anybody got any good tips on passing? Getting really nervous! Really don't want to fail. Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

drive like a granny, worked for me, passed first time
    also make sure you do not cross any white lines either when stopping at a junctions,

hope you can also reverse around a corner while keeping tight to the path,
    if you drift off stop straight away, your allowed one correction so go forward straighten her up and keep tight to the path,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamesom5

thanks. Yeah i can do the reverse..just hope I don't mess up on the day!
    How many questions did the examiner ask you at the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

they asked a load of random question like the theory test before we even got into the car,
    like what certain signs mean, on the actual driving part they dont really ask anything but just give you directions on where to turn and what to do,

the girl i had for the test seemed very uptight as i cracked a few witty remarks in which she didn't even respond not even a smile

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭phog

If the test centre has a car park, reverse into the parking spot before the test and when you return with the tester just drive into the space.

Make sure your lights (brakes & indicators) are working, check your tax and insurance certs now, bring your provisional licence.

Drive with confidence but not defensively, road positioning and keeping up wioth traffic is important as is keeping within the speed limit.

If you think, you've made a huge mistake, try and ignore it and continue with your test, it may not have been as bad as you thought.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

I agree with the above post drive like the old granny that annoys you when ur in rush somewhere but not so slow that he can do you for being too slow.

check ur mirrors as much as you can.

on the 3 point turn remember you can do it in as many turns as you like but dont let the car role backwards (i failed on this first time).

if you just relax ul be grand just drive really careful!!!

GOOD LUCK!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Firstly, best of luck!

The best advice I can give is to just drive like you normally drive, don't adjust your driving radically because you think the tester would want you to drive like that. Make sure to keep up to the speed limit if it's safe, it's quite common to fail for lack of progress (often by people who don't usually have problems with lack of progress, they just drive under the speed limit because they think that's what the tester will want).

Beforehand, you get asked about 3 theory questions on the rules of the road (e.g. when can you cross a continuous white line, when can you overtake on the left) and then about 4/5 roadsigns (most are obvious, have a look on the rules of the road website, they like asking pedestrian zone and clearway).

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

If you are making a mistake, fix it. This can often reduce the severity of the mark. Don't think the examiner might not notice.
    If you have made a mistake, forget about it. Don't dwell on it. Just get back to driving properly.
    If you know something is wrong, don't do it. If you know something is right, do it. If unsure, do what you would normally do. Chances are it will be correct.
    If you think you know how to drive, know it and drive with as much confidence as you can.
    Don't be unlucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Good luck today!

Best advice I heard for driving during your test: Drive as if you are late for work, but that you are being followed by a Garda car.

Don't be nervous (easier said than done; I went to pieces in my first test), and just drive the way you normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamesom5

I passed!!!!

thanks everyone for the tips! got 4 marks for lack of progress though! But don't care... all done now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭breanach

jamesom5 wrote: »
    I passed!!!!

thanks everyone for the tips! got 4 marks for lack of progress though! But don't care... all done now :D

great

• Advertisement
Advertisement