Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

Options
  • 09-01-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

My Sibe is 18 weeks old, and we're thinking about starting to have her sleep outside ( a bit more freedom ) The yard has a grassy area where she does her business and the other side is patio slabs, the walls are quite high 6-7 feet and very secure so escape is almost impossible.

The winter has been very mild and thinking about a yard kennel she can make her own. Apart from random destruction of plants and some digging about is there any reason not have the dog live outside yet?

Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Why does she need to sleep outside? My dogs all sleep indoors, I'd be too worried about them being stolen during the night to leave them outside. And even with a wall 6-7foot high, I wouldn't trust that to be enough when she's fully grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My Labrador has slept outside since he was about four months old, hes now almost 5 years old and has never had to visit a vet for reasons other than boosters so I don't see having your dog outside as being cruel (although a lot of people have strong opinions on that), it's down to your own personal choice. My Lab just prefers to be outside, the kitchen door could be open and hes not bothered coming inside.

If you were to keep your husky outside I'd recommend getting her a nice warm dog coat and if you are building her a new kennel just make sure the base is not lying on the ground as the draft will come up through the bottom, make sure its placed on blocks. Also get yourself a padlock on your gate to avoid thieves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I have no issues with sibes living outside, but not on their own. They really are a pack animal and need company, either human or canine.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

So you reckon she would hate being alone? if that's the case I won't bother shelling out 100+E on an outhouse - if she will be upset.

Thanks dudes

Edit: I live in the Dublin Suburban, we have locks for our locks :D, regarding the garden, we screwed down long plant holders to the walls, and put fencing up in harder to reach areas, there is almost no way to gain any purchase on our walls, but sibes are resourceful lil beggars, if there is a way out she will find it lol.

Thanks for the posts

Advertisement