Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grizzcol's 2012 Reading Log

Options
  • 09-01-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

First completed book of the year (started in 2011 but logging it as a finished read for 2012!!):

The Final Empire (Mistborn Book 1) - Brandon Sanderson

Definitely one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long time - including series by Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, Robert Jordan (early Wheel of Time).
    Looking forward to reading Book 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grizzcol2

Badfellas by Paul Williams

History of organised crime in Ireland since the 60's...not great to be honest...really felt like the longest list of dates and facts and not much substance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

grizzcol2 wrote: »
    First completed book of the year (started in 2011 but logging it as a finished read for 2012!!):

Definitely one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long time - including series by Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, Robert Jordan (early Wheel of Time).

Yeah, the mistborn series is great. I've just finished the second book which in my opinion was better than the first, which I know isn't the general consensus but hey-ho, each to their own. The alloy of law is very good too incidentally if but get a chance to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

gufnork wrote: »
    grizzcol2 wrote: »

Yeah, the mistborn series is great. I've just finished the second book which in my opinion was better than the first, which I know isn't the general consensus but hey-ho, each to their own. The alloy of law is very good too incidentally if but get a chance to read it.

It just occurred to me that you may not want people commenting in your reading log.

Hope I haven't made a boo boo...

gufnork wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that you may not want people commenting in your reading log.

Hope I haven't made a boo boo...

Not at all...interested to hear ppl's opinions on the stuff i've read to hear their views

Just finished reading one of the books I got for Christmas...
    Leo Cullen's - A Captains Story - basically a game by game account of Leinster winning the Heineken Cup last season...
    Because I'm into rugby twas an interesting read...light enough..definitely not taxing on the brain muscles..

• Advertisement

The May Day Murders by Scott Wittenburg

crime fiction - slow burner which wasn't really holding my interest at the beginning but bit by bit sucked me in...easy read but enjoyed it

A Kingdom Besieged by Raymond E. Fiest

The first book in the last trilogy based on the Midkemian world. Second book is out in a few weeks. Have read all his books starting with Magician - so would be a shame not to follow the story of that world to the end - not as good as his early stuff but kept my turning the page.

Engage: The Fall and Rise of Matt Hampson by Paul Kimmage

another rugby biography via xmas present! - very good read...puts a lot of things into perspective and reminds you whats important in life...

Deeper than the Dead by Tami Hoag

pretty good crime fiction / serial killer book...enjoyed...think there's another couple in the series so will probably check them out at some stage

The Third Option by Vince Flynn

Read a couple of books by Flynn before...this one is probably the worst of them..very disappointed with it....

Really looking forward to next book - Book 2 of the Mistborn Trilogy...

• Advertisement

Exposed by Alex Kava

pretty good disease outbreak thriller...read it quite quickly...a good page turner..worth a read

Last Light by Alex Scarrow

I need to focus on by Mistborn Trilogy but starting reading this the other day when not in the mood for Mr Sanderson and got hooked on it...
    End of the world thriller - what happens when oil is switched off due unexpectedly and how society collapses...really enjoyed and will definitely read the sequel - Afterlight (i wonder how long it took for that title!)

Subculture by Charles Anthony Vilina

Excellent crime fiction novel - so different from the usual...
    As its described on Amazon - new thriller that blurs the lines between literary fiction and pure genre fiction entertainment

Inside the Peloton - Nicolas Roche

Thoroughly enjoyed this book - have been reading it off and on over the last few weeks - great insight into professional cycling - makes me look forward even more to Le Tour and la Vuelta later this year

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Finally got to finish this...was reading it for a weeks not really into it until just over a third of the way through it kinda took off..and from there thoroughly enjoyed it..going to be interesting to see how the trilogy completes...

The Killing League by Dani Amore

Very easy to read serial killer crime fiction...interesting enough to keep the pages turning and would be interested in checking out some of her other writings

Locked on by Tom Clancy

Big Tom Clancy fan and have loved most of his books until now. They used to be full of technical detail and each book would have lots of threads that wouldn't come together til near the end...However...this one...i have a sneaky suspicion that Mr Clancy is heading down the road that a certain James Patterson is doing...ie coming up and a storyline and getting another author to meat it out & finish it....in this case a Mark Greaney...if he continues in this vein he's going to lose one of his biggest fans...

Overall - disappointed with this book

Die for Me by Karen Rose

Enjoyable serial killer crime fiction again - think i'm seeing a bit of a trend in some of the stuff that I read! thing there is a couple of other books in this series so might try them out at some stage

DarkMarket- CyberThieves, CyberCops, and You by Misha Glenny

if you're interested in that kind of world tis an interesting enough read.. you'd definitely be tempted never to buy anything online ever again or let your credit card leave your sight..

The Final Winter; An Apocalyptic Horror by Iain Rob Wright

Shortish book - end of the world terror - bit far fetched ..not that well written to be honest..had a couple of short stories at the back as well but didn't read them due to lack of quality in main book

• Advertisement

The Chill of Night by James Hayman

2nd book by this author...have read both (crime fiction)..very enjoyable...between himself and Chris Carter - two new authors I'm very happy to have come across this year

Three in one here...

Alone
    Hide
    Neighbour

all by Lisa Gardner

enjoyable, easy reading crime fiction to while away a bank holiday weekend

Advertisement