Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted Dog

Options
  • 09-01-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭

A relation of mime died a few months ago and she had a dog who lived with her. She lived a somewhat hermit lifestyle in a very old house and the dog was only used to her. The dog is still in the house on his own and i feed him but i cant touch him and he was never on a lead at all. I emailed the GSPCA to see if they could advise me what to do about him but got no reply and i also rang the warden to se if he would take him away but he was no help either. I rang the vet but she said that i would have to bring him in to her to get him put to sleep but this is impossible as he wont let me near him. Dont know what else to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

email isn't the best method - try phoning the gspca, or go into their shop on abbeygate st. Poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Or try an email thru their facebook page, they update that quite frequently.
    Is the dog vicious and tries to bit you when you approach him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Sorry for your loss.

I think the dog warden should technically be the one who deals with it, but if you haven't has any luck, I would try calling the GSPCA rather than emailing them, or even dropping in in person - it will be much easier get a response if you actually speak to someone.

When you say you can't touch him, do you mean that he runs away and hides, or that he snarls/bites? In any case, unless the dog is quite small, you are most likely going to need help (and probably one of those slip leads on poles that the warden/vet/GSPCA should have)

Hope it works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Or try an email thru their facebook page, they update that quite frequently.
    Is the dog vicious and tries to bit you when you approach him?

Well he lets me feed him but thats about all i can do.

Kash wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss.

I think the dog warden should technically be the one who deals with it, but if you haven't has any luck, I would try calling the GSPCA rather than emailing them, or even dropping in in person - it will be much easier get a response if you actually speak to someone.

When you say you can't touch him, do you mean that he runs away and hides, or that he snarls/bites? In any case, unless the dog is quite small, you are most likely going to need help (and probably one of those slip leads on poles that the warden/vet/GSPCA should have)

Hope it works out for you

He stays in one of the rooms under the bed most of the time. No doesnt run away but doesnt want to be touched. He was only used to one person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What is the breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

That's an awful situation for both you and the poor dog.
    Do you know anyone who's more used to dogs than you are, and might help?

Have a word with the vet again. They should be able to give you a sedative that you can mix with the dog's food to make it easier to get him down to the surgery. Our vet prescribed one for a dog that hated travelling long distances, and was a danger to everyone in the car if he was awake when he got upset.
    It was years ago, and laws may have changed, but it's worth pursuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know if they would be able to help, but contact MADRA for advice, they have brilliant behaviourists, and may be able to either give you good advice, or help with the dog.

Best of luck, a tough situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Actually, seeing as you're in Galway - second the MADRA suggestion!

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What is the breed?

He is a collie

• Advertisement

niallb wrote: »
    That's an awful situation for both you and the poor dog.
    Do you know anyone who's more used to dogs than you are, and might help?

Have a word with the vet again. They should be able to give you a sedative that you can mix with the dog's food to make it easier to get him down to the surgery. Our vet prescribed one for a dog that hated travelling long distances, and was a danger to everyone in the car if he was awake when he got upset.
    It was years ago, and laws may have changed, but it's worth pursuing.

Thanks i will ask and see if that can be done

Pm'd u mobile no of one of the girls in the GSPCA, was just on to them for you, she said this lady should help you out.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Pm'd u mobile no of one of the girls in the GSPCA, was just on to them for you, she said this lady should help you out.

Cheers, thanks for that.

How did you get on today, any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Could you stay in the house over night for 1-2 days ?
    I am pretty sure he would come out to find out more about you if you stayed their long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poor old boy, losing all and now to lose his life?

Please, try staying with him? Collies are bright enough; he will be grieving simply and needing love and company. Just a human to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Teaandcoffee

I don't understand why this dog needs to be put to sleep.

Has there been any update OP?

I don't understand why this dog needs to be put to sleep.

Has there been any update OP?

I am in contact with someone at the moment who should be able to help me out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Thats so sad the poor dog, I just want to wish you luck hope it works out well for both of ye..

please update us on how it goes...

artieanna wrote: »
    Thats so sad the poor dog, I just want to wish you luck hope it works out well for both of ye..

please update us on how it goes...

Thanks. I will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement