Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk in a glass bottle

Options
  • 09-01-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭

http://oileanfarm.ie/products.html

Has anyone tried this? How is it product wise, price wise and reliability of delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭manna452121

I have been using the lads for the past two months and its perfect.Milk on the door step around 6 am three days a week,we even had a delivery on St Stephens day.My son has said that the milk tastes alot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks, might them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

we are using them as well and they deliver twice weekly. always deliver on time and over xmas also.

would highly recommend them

Another question - have either of you tried their eggs? Free range??

I love a poached egg and a slice of blackpudding on Saturday mornings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

What are their prices like? I remember they called to my door but I never got a price from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

We get them also, great service, saves on late trips to shop every night!
    We were getting 3 litres of lo-fat, 3 pints of full fat and 3 pints of skimmed milk for €10.50 each week
    hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

I was getting them for a few months, the milk is lovely and the service is great, but I found we were drinking 3 time the amount of milk becaue it is beautiful and its twice the price of Tesco milk, its €1.50 per litre compared to €1.29 for 2 litres with tesco, but its beautiful milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

Getting milk from that milkman 2 months now excellent service top quality product & nice guy,Mon,Wed,Fri delivery 2 Bottles each drop, €36 monthly he will text you the night he is collecting,Highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

I might actually look back into it so there seems to be a fairly positive feedback here. Can it be bought in any shops around town? Have been looking over the last few days and don't see the brand. I buy the adare milk from time to time and like that, its a bit more expensive but much nicer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I don't think I could go back to milk from the supermarket now. It's really nice milk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I've been using these guys for a few months now - lovely stuff.
    Milk is delivered in the evenings in our area now though - had a couple of incidents of milk being robbed after morning delivery ...:mad:.
    Someone stole all the milk from all the houses in our estate ( and more beyond also ) on a couple of occasions.
    Great service - yummy milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Know the farmer, always been very good, best of luck, hope it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hamstring

Have been getting milk delivered for a few months now and really happy with the service. Milk on the doorstep 3 days a week around 6am. Call for payment (in advance) once a month, with a text the day before to advise of collection time. Milk is gorgeous (as said above). Expiry dates are only a few days into the future, unlike the supermarket ones that are full of preservatives to last longer. Yes it is more expensive, but the quality is far superior. All in all great service

I decided to go with it, €1 a pint and €2 for half dozen of eggs - in fairness that seems good value for locally produced farm fresh food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hotshots69

Has anybody in Limerick/Clare been experiencing problems with the milk in the Glass Bottle? I live in the Limerick area and have been getting glass bottled milk delivered 3 times a week for the last 8 months. My milk has been going out of date before the best before date and a few times my children have complained of an unusual taste/smell from the bottle.

Hotshots69 wrote: »
    Has anybody in Limerick/Clare been experiencing problems with the milk in the Glass Bottle? I live in the Limerick area and have been getting glass bottled milk delivered 3 times a week for the last 8 months. My milk has been going out of date before the best before date and a few times my children have complained of an unusual taste/smell from the bottle.

Way back I had a bad taste, wasn't sure if it was the water or the milk, I rang the supplier and he took away the milk to check and replaced my bottle free of charge, never had an issue since. Our milk has never gone out of date early and we're not big users so the milk would be lying around if you know what I mean.

My advice is contact the supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Initially I loved the idea (husband from farm etc.) and we started off with 4 pints twice a week but as previous posters have said I began to get a funny taste from it. it doesnt last that long in the fridge.

I must be the unlucky customer as there have been mornings when we have had no milk delivered and text them and they would deliver two the following morning which was no good as we needed it for the kids breakfast that morning. so we have had to reduce it to two pints twice a week and buy extra in supermarket just in case we dont get milk delivered and then we got fresh orange juice that is just fabulous and this wasnt delivered and when we questioned it the reply we got was i will give you one on friday - well yes we have already paid for it.

i think its a fantastic idea and have supported them since they started (as another milk company called to the door and undercut them but we decided to stay as they are a local company) but i can see myself going back to the supermarkets as its more convenient. just not sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I went with them for a while as well but found I went from 2 liters a week to 6 liters a week its lovely milk but double the price of Tesco and I was drinking it straight from the bottle, everyone should give it a go, I ended up going back to tesco as it just got too expensive, tbh I think they missed the boat, they should have came up with the idea of delivering it 10 years a go when people had money, people just dont have the money now to be paying double the price for milk. but again it is a lovely milk.

I tried to get in touch with the supplier but the phone rang out and my messages were not returned. The milkman was very understanding, gave me a few free bottles but the problem continues. As I am paying premium prices I expect a premium product. I love the idea, love to support local but at this stage my children wont drink it anymore. Is there any other Dairy delivering milk in a glass bottle in Limerick?

I tried to get in touch with the supplier but the phone rang out and my messages were not returned. The milkman was very understanding, gave me a few free bottles but the problem continues. As I am paying premium prices I expect a premium product. I love the idea, love to support local but at this stage my children wont drink it anymore. Is there any other Dairy delivering milk in a glass bottle in Limerick?

I find it very strange that the supplier failed to answer or return your call. In my case I had to leave him a voicemail and he rang back the same evening and made two more follow up calls after that and on the night he called to collect the bill he enquired for me then also. He also sends a text message each week to say when he'll be around to collect the bill.

As for milk going out of date, we get milk delivered once a week, friday mornings and obvioulsy it won't last a full week but I've never found it sour before the best before date. After being delivered is it being left in the heat for too long before being brought indoors? I know we haven't had a great summer but there's still enough heat there to turn milk.

• Advertisement

I had no problems getting through to the milkman but not the supplier. He also texts me before collecting the money. Great service. As far as I know the milkman buys the milk from the dairy so as far as I am concerned its the dairy I need to speak to about quality control. I am up very early for work and usually hear the milkman delivering so the milk is not on the door step too long. I also had my fridge checked in case that was the problem.

I spoke to my neighbor today and she also cancelled for more or less the same reasons. She said all her family(6 houses), in different parts of Limerick also cancelled. Phog, I am glad you are having a good experience. However, my experiences has gone from good to bad and from bad to worse. Maybe we are unique but after speaking to my neighbor I think other people are having similar bad experiences. Surely there is another dairy delivering milk in a glass bottle ?

I had no problems getting through to the milkman but not the supplier. He also texts me before collecting the money. Great service. As far as I know the milkman buys the milk from the dairy so as far as I am concerned its the dairy I need to speak to about quality control. I am up very early for work and usually hear the milkman delivering so the milk is not on the door step too long. I also had my fridge checked in case that was the problem.

I spoke to my neighbor today and she also cancelled for more or less the same reasons. She said all her family(6 houses), in different parts of Limerick also cancelled. Phog, I am glad you are having a good experience. However, my experiences has gone from good to bad and from bad to worse. Maybe we are unique but after speaking to my neighbor I think other people are having similar bad experiences. Surely there is another dairy delivering milk in a glass bottle ?

Have you used the contact form in the link in the OP?

OP?

OP?

Original post, I assumed when you joined boards you searched for a thread on milk being delivered in a glass bottle and read through it before posting.

Anyway here the link to the contacts.

Thanks Phog but its too late now. We have decided to stop the delivery. Thought it maybe a link to another dairy. Do you know of any?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Has anybody been able to contact this company?

I've tried so many times over the last couple of weeks: texting, phoning (phones sound either engaged or out of service) e-mail and the contact us on the website.

We were getting milk deliveries but suddenly they stopped without notice. We were stuck without milk on a number of mornings causing a bit of chaos.

Then when I contacted them cancelling on the basis that they were no longer delivering to me, the deliveries started again. Despite many texts that I do not wish to continue the service, they still keep delivering.

Hi Bicycle. I had a similar experience of not being able to contact them and ended up getting in touch with the milkman to cancel.

I since have met my milkman and he has told me that he no longer deliveries milk in my area (caherdavin) and the farm now manages his milk runs (caherdavin and I think he also said Shannon)

My advise is to try the milkman and if you have no success ring the farm directly on 0860651753 or leave a note for whoever is delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Hotshots, Thanks.

I should have posted back here on Friday.

I had tried every method to contact them, however I got a call from a new milkman who has taken over the round from the previous guy. Apparently there were lots of problems with the deliveries.

Having chatted with the new milk delivery guy - who is the son of someone who delivered milk to me years ago, and for whom I have a huge amount of respect because of his reliability and pleasantness - I have agreed to continue receiving milk for the moment. If there are no problems, I will continue on using them.

I am surprised there are no deliveries in Caherdavin any more. I'm a little further in the Ennis Road from you. With the new guy taking over, it is possible that the route may be expanded in time.

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fussy

hi, i get the milk delivered and i found that it was very strong,i spoke to a lovely chap in the dairy [i had no problem getting through] he informed me that the reason for the strong taste is that the dairy do not remove any of the cream from the milk which all the other dairies do.he is going to send me low fat milk.i will keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fussy

hotshots we are very happy with our service,do you leave the milk out of the fridge?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement