Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear Box Repairs - Kildare/Carlow

Options
  • 09-01-2012 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've just found out that the gear box in my car needs repairing/replacing. I am currently waiting for a quote from the garage but I am planning on shopping around a bit as the car is getting on a bit and I don't want to spend a huge amount on it. I'd interested to know if anyone can recommend a good company for getting gearboxes repaired, preferably in the Naas/Newbridge area (or Carlow town).

The car is a 2003 Honda Civic 1.4 3dr.

The garage seemed to think it was a bearing of some sort and given the noise is noticable what ever gear your are in (including neutral) but not when the clutch is disengaged, I am assuming it is not on the engine side of the box (if that makes sense).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Naas gearbox centre!

Its been a few years but anytime i used them they were bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

This sound like the release bearing to me and if it is the gearbox would be ok you would just need to get a cluch kit and relpace it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If it was the release bearing it would be more noticeable when the car was stationary in neutral but from the description above it sounds like the noise is when in gear and moving so it sounds like it is a bearing in the gearbox.

If that is the case then a secondhand gearbox would be the cheapest solution to your problem. A good secondhand gearbox is always my preference in these situations.

Whenever that is not possible and we need to have a box repaired we use Active Transmissions in Rathcoole. Have never had a problem with their work.

http://www.gearbox.ie/

It varies but €450 would be an average price in my experience. That is just for the gearbox work itself not for the labour involved in removal and refitting.

Cost of removal and refitting depends on the car. There is a lot of variation in labour time involved. If the value of the car is in three figures then turn up the radio and keep driving :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement