Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patches, Gum, inhalers, etc, do not help you quite smoking, says US study

Options
  • 09-01-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/nicotine-replacement-therapy-not-effective-says-us-study-535213.html
    Gums, patches and nasal sprays that supply smokers with nicotine do not help people quit cigarettes over the long term any better than going it alone, according to a new study by Harvard University in the US.

Of the 787 adults who had recently quit smoking, they found that just as many relapsed after nicotine replacement therapy as those who went without.

Heavily dependent smokers who took NRT without professional therapy were twice as likely to relapse as those who did not use NRT.

The nicotine replacement therapy industry is worth about $800bn (€628.14bn) a year.

Never been a smoker myself, but I can't see how taking nicotine can help you quit. It's like an alcoholic only having a vodka or two per day instead of beer while they kick the addiction.

Interesting study to release this time of year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Only ever quit this once (cold turkey) and didnt know how it would be but assumed it would be the hardest thing in the world.

2 different GPs told me how hard it was, the general concensus seems to be its soooo hard.

Now Im wondering why this is the general idea that people have? Yes, its hard. But its not the hardest thing ever.

I really dont understand why its not more publicised that its not as hard as you think, the thoughts of it are much worse than the actuality. Mind you, then I take into account
    The nicotine replacement therapy industry is worth about $800bn (€628.14bn) a year.
    , so maybe thats why no one is telling the truth.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Even the term "nicotine replacement" is a lie. It's not replacing nicotine - it's reinforcing nicotine addiction. Inhalers are the worst - they both 'replace' nicotine and reinforce the hand to mouth habit. I actually don't know a single former smoker who quit using NRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Orion wrote: »
    I actually don't know a single former smoker who quit using NRT.

hi! :)

I was on 20 a day for nearly 20 years. Tried to give up loads of times but always went back on them. Today I'm off cigs a year, no cravings (well, the odd craving, the same way I sometimes crave a steak, it lasts a second and then it's gone) - have been on hols, christmas parties, drinking etc - never wanted to smoke.

I used Nicorette Nasal Spray for the first 3 months, gradually cut down the dose - what can I tell you? it worked for me. You can't get it down south, but it's widely available in the North, 20.99 for a bottle that lasts about two weeks. Takes a bit of getting used to! but I can confidently say it made the difference for me this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Only ever quit this once (cold turkey) and didnt know how it would be but assumed it would be the hardest thing in the world.

2 different GPs told me how hard it was, the general concensus seems to be its soooo hard.

Now Im wondering why this is the general idea that people have? Yes, its hard. But its not the hardest thing ever.

I really dont understand why its not more publicised that its not as hard as you think, the thoughts of it are much worse than the actuality. Mind you, then I take into account , so maybe thats why no one is telling the truth.........

Pretty much the same message in Allen Carr's "Easway", Nicotine replacement stuff makes it harder not easier to quit. But it's a huge business and the pharmicutical companies make a lot of money from making people believe just how hard it is.

Smoked 30 to 40 a day for 20 odd years, tried all these NRT's and others, Zyban etc. Never lasted more than a few weeks at best.

In hindsight, probably because I believed all the myths about it being sooo hard and the awful cravings.

I also personally don't know anyone who succesfully quit using Nicotine Replacement therapies.

Few years ago a girl at work was reading a copy of Allen Carr's Easyway and gave it to me. Read it and stopped, it was surprisingly easy, NO cravings at all, Even though from day one a few friends seem to deliberatly smoke more in my company at every opportunity. See that behavour mentioned in another thread.

My wife is not a big reader so 2 years ago got the Easyway DVD and she watched it and quit immediatly and easily after similar length of time smoking.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭sporina

i have been asking whether or not NRT is a good idea and I am still getting mixed reviews. I would love to actually read that study.
    I am aware of the opinions for an against NRT. I even asked the HSE smoking quit line what their grounds are for recommending NRT as a form for help to quit and I was told that "well the HSE would not advocate it unless it worked and all NRT forms such as patches, gums etc have been through trials and been proven to help people quit. I guess that is the question - do they just help people to quit as oppose to staying off them too?

I don't know if the HSE get money from the NRT companies for advocating their use. This is why I am dubious.

I wish I had more time to look into this properly.

I quit nearly a month ago and I am using patches.

I know they helped me to quit - whether or not I stay off them is another thing. Also I do not know how I will feel when I stop using the patches. We will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Panrich

Orion wrote: »
    Even the term "nicotine replacement" is a lie. It's not replacing nicotine - it's reinforcing nicotine addiction. Inhalers are the worst - they both 'replace' nicotine and reinforce the hand to mouth habit. I actually don't know a single former smoker who quit using NRT.

Hello from someone who quit using the inhaler. Patches didn't satisfy the need for an instant hit and the gum didn't work for me either on that score (low grade 'hit' imo). After a few weeks of using the inhaler (expecially in the pub), I weaned myself off and only used it for emergencies for months 3-6. Carrying it around was a comfort thing, I suppose. Been off the ciggies nearly two years now after smoking for more than twenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I quit cold turkey after 11 years on 20-40 a day. I tried the inhalor but it just gave me tonsillitis, I started to puff on the inhalor and my tonsils immediatly inflammed, which led to a sudden onset of infection, they never went down after that. They Just got worse and worse despite every course of antibiotic under the sun.

I Had to have them removed in the end which in my mid 20's hurt like f***! This kind of reaction to the inhalors is documented , I would warn people of the possible implications of using the inhalor. Just before my tonsillectomy I had my last smoke, I never smoked again after that. Never even miss them, don't know what I saw in them.

A week in the oncology ward recovering from the operation surrounded by people with throat cancer re-enforced my will power. Listening to them hack and cough, desperatly trying to speak despite having no vocal chords left, and knowing that smoking caused all this, Terrifying stuff.

Advertisement