Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid Kits - whats in yours?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

As the thread suggests, whats in your FAK's?

I like to be prepared for most eventualities (Scouts and Order of Malta, will do that to you!)

I have two FAK's - one in the house in a biscuit tin, the other in my car (soon to be beside my BoB, as it doubles as my emergency supply)

my house one has its contents written inside the lid so anyone who may use it will be able to tell what is in there, It also has First Aid Kit and the cross symbol written in large letters across the front and sides.

Contents:
    sissors
    Micropore plasters
    vaseline
    safety pins
    diflam spray
    TCP
    Gauze
    wadding
    gloves
    cotton wool + buds
    paracetamol
    ibuprofen
    medium micropore dressings
    stretch bandages
    crepe bandages
    micropore tape
    savlon
    aloe vera
    tampons
    hand sanitizer
    NEED: face masks

BoB / Car kit:
    has almost the same contents except
    less plasters more wadding + tape.
    tube bandage / flexi cast
    prepackaged deep wound dressing (I can improvise at home)
    sterilizer wipe
    waterproof plasters
    triangular bandage
    everything else is the same except in smaller quantities eg.30g vs 60g antiseptic cream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A bottle of eye wash and some sanitary pads for massive cuts,a roll of duct tape is useful as well[include a smalll disposable saftey razor for shaving away body hair around wounds if you are going to use duct tape to hold dressings in place.:eek: Lot easier on the patient taking them off again.] surgical tweezers an you are good to go.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

evilmonkee wrote: »
    As the thread suggests, whats in your FAK's?

I like to be prepared for most eventualities (Scouts and Order of Malta, will do that to you!)

I have two FAK's - one in the house in a biscuit tin, the other in my car (soon to be beside my BoB, as it doubles as my emergency supply)

my house one has its contents written inside the lid so anyone who may use it will be able to tell what is in there, It also has First Aid Kit and the cross symbol written in large letters across the front and sides.

Contents:
    sissors
    Micropore plasters
    vaseline
    safety pins
    diflam spray
    TCP
    Gauze
    wadding
    gloves
    cotton wool + buds
    paracetamol
    ibuprofen
    medium micropore dressings
    stretch bandages
    crepe bandages
    micropore tape
    savlon
    aloe vera
    tampons
    hand sanitizer
    NEED: face masks

BoB / Car kit:
    has almost the same contents except
    less plasters more wadding + tape.
    tube bandage / flexi cast
    prepackaged deep wound dressing (I can improvise at home)
    sterilizer wipe
    waterproof plasters
    triangular bandage
    everything else is the same except in smaller quantities eg.30g vs 60g antiseptic cream

Triangular bandages are your friend! Get some into your house kit. They're the most versatile of all the bandages in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Triangular bandages are your friend! Get some into your house kit. They're the most versatile of all the bandages in my humble opinion.

Absolutely, I have at least 3 in my field kit plus a shemagh which can be split into 2. My home kit has 5, 5 is a good minimum as that is what is needed to splint a fracture effectivly. 1 above and below the fracture, 1 above and below the knee and 1 to tie the feet. Of course they are easily improvised but they are so useful its always handy.

Home first aid kits are fine while you still have a social medical support, where typical purchased kits fall short is for any major injuries. They are designed to treating fairly minor wounds or to be changed very regulary and are often the same type found in hospitals which is a tottaly different enviroment to the field.

I find it best to supliment these with a few additional items:
    Military field dressings - Designed to hold large amounts of blood, quick and easy to apply, seals around the wound effectivly and can remain on the wound for extended periods. I have British field dressings and recently used the Israeli pressure system which is a awsome bit of kit and I highly recomend at least two in your kits.

Flamazine or similar burn treatment - In a self pressurvation situation burns are one of the most common injuries. My hands have a few burn scars to prove it;).

Scalpal - Has many uses

Grizzly has also touched on a interesting subject with some improvised items for extra ordinary situations. In a previous life I would have called it battlefield first aid not sure what the civilian term is but these items I carry and not specificly first aid but I would use in a real SHTF for first aid.

Superglue Perfect for when you tie wounds with hair or you can glue hair/skin together to hold a wound closed. Also a good fire starter with cotton.

Poncho - Military grade, makes a great stretcher

Duck tape and tampons/panty liners has been mentioned already, we used to duct tape the feet/anckles together in a figure of 8 for any fracture we would treat in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Soluble aspirin. for under the tongue.

Tick twisters. (Hat tip;) tab nabs,)

Sun screen

Something to treat fungal foot infections.

Spare sets of own meds - and anyone elses who you are catering for... kids etc.

Spare glasses and sun glasses. Even older prescription glasses might be better than nothing at all if you had a long term hit the fan situation.

Also thinking longterm Kris...

Things like over the counter cough medicines, anti pyretics etc, might be best line of defense if anti biotics were missing.

Herbal medicine seeds in seed bank. The final line of defense. But not first aid like, you know, it takes a bit of time...:D

I guess I don't just think first aid but family medical chest...

Get a good Family Health medicine book. There are several around.

Obstetric forceps. Stethoscope. Battery operating blood pressure monitor to check for pre ecclampsia. Urinalysis dips to check for gestational diabetes. (No point checking anyone else, type 1 diabetes is fatal without modern meds, though could try a low carb diet.)

• Advertisement

NFP manual and training on how to get pregnant or not get pregnant. Recommend Creighton Model.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

krissovo wrote: »
    Superglue Perfect for when you tie wounds with hair or you can glue hair/skin together to hold a wound closed. Also a good fire starter with cotton.
    It'll work in a pinch, but perfect it ain't. Superglue, the stuff you buy off the shelf in a hardware shop, is not medical-grade. On small cuts it ought to be okay (so long as your skin's not allergic, that is), but anything deep and you don't want to use it. If you hadn't any other choice or it was a very small cut, sure; but in Ireland the odds needing to use superglue on a deep cut are fairly slim if you also have proper bandages and wadding in your first aid kit.

Dermabond is the stuff you want if you can find it (or any other octyl-cyanoacrylate based glue). It's more expensive, but if "How much does it cost?" is your metric for deciding what you'll squirt into an open wound on your own body, you have deeper issues to address :D

Good point Sparks, I did mention hair. I have only sealed wounds using local hair to bond or steri strip style and NOT directly gluing the wound. I have seen it done but its a spray bottle that was used for even coverage.

One HIGHLY important bit of kit I forgot for field kits is moisturizer. I dont know about the rest of you but my skin drys out very quickly when exposed to the elements particularly damp wind. I always have a small tin of nivea in my kit now.

Another bit of kit for the field kit which I forgot is Talc or foot powder, look after your feet!

krissovo wrote: »
    One HIGHLY important bit of kit I forgot for field kits is moisturizer. I dont know about the rest of you but my skin drys out very quickly when exposed to the elements particularly damp wind. I always have a small tin of nivea in my kit now.

Another bit of kit for the field kit which I forgot is Talc or foot powder, look after your feet!

good point, I had not thought of my skin care products, a couple of hydrocortisone creams and various other bits. Also lip salve.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I have kits in both cars, one in the kitchen, a grab bag I bring with and a couple of mini kits that live in a jacket pocket.

DSCF1176.jpg

Plasters, steri strips, med.s and wound cleaning stuff are basics, add as needs change. I like to bring antihistamine for allergies, and a source of sugar for low blood sugar. A few dressings, bandages and triangular bandages in the kits and a seperate burns kit and basic dental repair kit. Bottle of clove oil is a godsend when you need it!

Gloves and masks, protect yourselves! I like nitrile as it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and carry several sets as they tear/get dirty...

DSCF1178.jpg

Little eye wash bottles for dust in eyes ;)
    DSCF1183.jpg

Tape, lots of, from medical tape up to duct tape.
    DSCF1189.jpg

Minor graze stuff for the kids
    DSCF1195.jpg

For a woods kit of more than a day away, I'd add Immodium and Senokot. Keep up the throughput!
    DSCF1197.jpg

I wouldn't usually carry all this, but cling film is handy for larger burns and the Laerdale mask is good to keep in the car. I have a couple of these.

5 and ten ml. syringes are good for dosing kids with Calpol and the like.
    DSCF1200.jpg

Sunburn, moisturiser and mild burns in a pinch.
    DSCF1201.jpg

Low blood sugar, smear inside the cheek to prevent choking risk!
    DSCF1204.jpg

My kits and a big bag of leftover bits that I resupply from after using any gear. I would hate to go for something and find it had been used and not restocked. Keep an eye on expiry dates and use up or replace kit that's coming to the end of its life cycle.
    DSCF1205.jpg

Tooth kit and extra long and extra sticky plasters, nothing worse than plasters that won't stay put when you have to work on anyways.
    DSCF1199.jpg

Dressings cover wounds, bandages cover dressings, gloves cover my hands! :D
    DSCF1180.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Have two types of kit, normal first as mentioned above but with burn gel and eye pads, would also include paper stiches.
    Second kit is a burn kit only with sealed cool gel pouches with soaked gauze in cool gel and cool gel. Need plenty of sterilising wipes and then you are set.

Need a good medical back-up to these which would not include those horse**t Iodine tablets that muppet minister of state sent us in the post some time ago.

Fiskar wrote: »
    Need a good medical back-up to these which would not include those horse**t Iodine tablets that muppet minister of state sent us in the post some time ago.

Funny you should mention those, they crossed my mind a while ago. No idea what we did with them. What were they for, was it in case of radiation or something? and what should you have in that case?

bonniebede wrote: »
    Funny you should mention those, they crossed my mind a while ago. No idea what we did with them. What were they for, was it in case of radiation or something? and what should you have in that case?
    In cases where nuclear power plants leak, one of the main troublesome things they leak is radioactive iodine. Thing is, we tend to accumulate iodine in our bodies rather than dump it out, specifically in the thyroid gland; and if you take in radioactive iodine, you're keeping a source of radioactivity inside the body where it can do the most damage; thyroid cancers are a common aftermath of such accidents. But if you take non-radioactive iodine, you saturate your thyroid gland with it and the radioactive iodine doesn't get a foothold and you flush it out. (Mind you, even non-radioactive iodine isn't that good for you, so you take the stuff after the nuclear accident, rather than continuously....)

(for those who're curious, by radioactive iodine I mean iodine-131 and by non-radioactive iodine, I mean iodine-127, administered as some form of iodide salt)

Sparks wrote: »
    In cases where nuclear power plants leak, one of the main troublesome things they leak is radioactive iodine. Thing is, we tend to accumulate iodine in our bodies rather than dump it out, specifically in the thyroid gland; and if you take in radioactive iodine, you're keeping a source of radioactivity inside the body where it can do the most damage; thyroid cancers are a common aftermath of such accidents. But if you take non-radioactive iodine, you saturate your thyroid gland with it and the radioactive iodine doesn't get a foothold and you flush it out. (Mind you, even non-radioactive iodine isn't that good for you, so you take the stuff after the nuclear accident, rather than continuously....)

(for those who're curious, by radioactive iodine I mean iodine-131 and by non-radioactive iodine, I mean iodine-127, administered as some form of iodide salt)

Thanks, I thought that was it. Can you get this stuff over the counter to keep in storage just in case?

Dunno, I never checked. I always planned a better approach to the problem - if Sellafield ever has a major accident, I don't plan to wait around on the east coast for the nasty stuff to reach us :D

I have kits in both cars, one in the kitchen, a grab bag I bring with and a couple of mini kits that live in a jacket pocket.

Plasters, steri strips, med.s and wound cleaning stuff are basics, add as needs change. I like to bring antihistamine for allergies, and a source of sugar for low blood sugar. A few dressings, bandages and triangular bandages in the kits and a seperate burns kit and basic dental repair kit. Bottle of clove oil is a godsend when you need it!

Gloves and masks, protect yourselves! I like nitrile as it is less likely to cause an allergic reaction and carry several sets as they tear/get dirty...

Little eye wash bottles for dust in eyes ;)

Tape, lots of, from medical tape up to duct tape.

Minor graze stuff for the kids

For a woods kit of more than a day away, I'd add Immodium and Senokot. Keep up the throughput!

I wouldn't usually carry all this, but cling film is handy for larger burns and the Laerdale mask is good to keep in the car. I have a couple of these.

5 and ten ml. syringes are good for dosing kids with Calpol and the like.

Sunburn, moisturiser and mild burns in a pinch.

Low blood sugar, smear inside the cheek to prevent choking risk!

My kits and a big bag of leftover bits that I resupply from after using any gear. I would hate to go for something and find it had been used and not restocked. Keep an eye on expiry dates and use up or replace kit that's coming to the end of its life cycle.

Tooth kit and extra long and extra sticky plasters, nothing worse than plasters that won't stay put when you have to work on anyways.

Dressings cover wounds, bandages cover dressings, gloves cover my hands! :D

Very nice first aid kit setup :)

Do I spy an eastern european military kit in your collection? If this is your first aid kit I would love to see your grab bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Any of you folks used,or have any experiance thereof??Supposed to be able to clot even on arterial bleeding.:confused: Saw somwhere that it is supposed to be finely ground volcanic pumice stone???Myth.. or????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Any of you folks used,or have any experiance thereof??Supposed to be able to clot even on arterial bleeding.:confused: Saw somwhere that it is supposed to be finely ground volcanic pumice stone???Myth.. or????
    I have some yes, its good stuff, but be very careful with it. Improper use of hemostatic agents can cause vascular necrosis, embolisms in open vessels, and partial and full-thickness burns from the exothermic reaction caused by interactions with too much fluid. Unless you have no other choice leave it to professionally trained medics.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Pressure and elevation, I would even use a tourniquet on myself if the alternative was bleeding to death.

The newer sponges are supposed to be better than the loose powder.
    Quick Clot is volcanic stuff, there's another one made of chitin from shellfish. Not supposed to cause an allergic reaction though.

I know a guy who's used it in Iraq, but unless your stopping bleeding from a bullet wound while under fire...

I wouldn't mess with it tbh. It's not taught as part of first aid and I don't think it's carried by ambulance paramedics? I would stick with pressure dressings, which reminds me I must order some Iaraeli dressings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Reviving this thread to keep First Aid Kit info all in one place.

Contents of Aldi Car First Aid Kit costing €7.99 (Lidl kit looks identical?) this is what it says on the bag and after checking the contented I've added the descriptions is brackets which might not be 100% correct.

Contents:
    1 Adhesive tape DIN13019-A 5m x 2.5. cm
    1 Adhesive Bandage, elastic DIN 13019-E 10 x 6 cm, 8 pieces
    1 First Aid package DIN 13151-G, elastic (Sterile Dressing role)
    3 First Aid packages DIN 13151-M, elastic (Sterile Dressing role)
    1 First Aid Dressing DIN 13152 A, 60 x 80cm (Burn Dressing)
    2 First Aid Dressing DIN 13152 BR, 40 x 60cm (Burn Dressing)
    2 Elastic Bandages DIN 61634 FB 6 (For holding Wound Dressings in place)
    3 Elastic Bandages DIN 61634 FB 8 (For holding Wound Dressings in place)
    3 Wound compresses 1 x 2 pieces 10 x 10 cm
    2 Trianguar Bandages DIN 13168-D
    1 Emergency blanket 160 x 210 cm
    1 Scissors Din 58279-A 145
    1 Disposable Gloves EN 455, size L, 4 pieces
    1 First Aid leaflet
    1 Contents list, user instructions

• Advertisement

In an attempt to keep all the First Aid Kit related stuff in one place...

A contents list of the Lidl Personal First Aid Kit aka First Aid Belt Bag (€3.99)
    x2 Plaster Strip 60mm wide 100mm long
    x4 Plaster small 70mm x 20mm
    x1 2 vinyl gloves (a pair)
    x2 Fixative bandage 6cm x 4m (DIN 61635-FB 6, 4m)
    x1 Compressive bandage 8cm x 10cm (DIN 13151-M)
    x1 Adhesive strip 1.25cm x 5m (DIN 13019 -A)
    x1 Compress pack containing 2 10cm x 10Cm sterile wound dressing.
    x2 Safety pins (each approx 50mm long)
    x1 Scissors small with plastic handles 90mm long approx 30mm cutting edge
    x3 Alcohol wipes 19cm x 12cm
    Instruction leaflet - 14 languages - ?? of limited use.
    Plastic organizer
    Zipped case with belt loops

The list compiled from checking what was in an actual set OOBE picture bellow

203930.jpg

Immediate modifications I've made:

Many of the items were in re-sealable waterproof plastic bags however the Compress and Compressive bandage were not and had a paper part in the packing so I've popped them in re-sealable plastic bags.

You can never have too many plasters so I've added a few more - will get some big finger plasters and add a couple of them as knife slips and cut fingers are not uncommon. Plus Pair of tweezers – splinters are another common issue.

From personal experience I'll see if I can find room for:
    Couple of Lemsips, half a strip of Night nurse, half strip of Cetrine, few Imodium tablets and I might add some pain killers?

Plus will label one for each member of the family and put in 3 days supply of prescription meds they use, this was one of the reasons for adding one PFAK (Personal First Aid Kit) to each bob.

Case will be jammed full with that lot.

Can I suggest a soluble aspirin. You or someone near you might need it.

http://www.heart-attack-aspirin-saves-lives.org.uk/

bonniebede wrote: »
    Can I suggest a soluble aspirin. You or someone near you might need it.

http://www.heart-attack-aspirin-saves-lives.org.uk/

I'll take a look and see if I can find any suitable 300mg Caffine free generic aspirin when I'm next in the UK.

Just started scratching my neck again today, its a family skin problem, nothing there, but neck and arms can develop areas that itch like mad, so need to add some form of skin cream to a FAK which reminds me Arnica cream is another handy item to have but where do you stop? Think those items have to go into the car FAK or a better still a new improved home FAK that can be mobilised if required?

I'll take a look and see if I can find any suitable 300mg Caffine free generic aspirin when I'm next in the UK.

Just started scratching my neck again today, its a family skin problem, nothing there, but neck and arms can develop areas that itch like mad, so need to add some form of skin cream to a FAK which reminds me Arnica cream is another handy item to have but where do you stop? Think those items have to go into the car FAK or a better still a new improved home FAK that can be mobilised if required?

If its ideopathic urticaria (hives and red itchy skin for no reason, most often at night, can appear suddenly and disapear very quickly to, or linger) simple antihistamine can really help, i find, something like zirtek or its generics. THey are handy anyway for other outdoor uses, hayfever stings and so on and are really tiny tabs.

In terms of where do you stop, its always about knowing what you are planning for. So carrybag/day bag fak is for specific things that might happen on a hike...car fak is much the same but also includes a bit more as there is no need to worry about weight restrictions.
    home kit is first of all for the likely home accidents, also all the gear for home nursing of usual flus tummy bugs etc, and then a few bits and pieces which take it towards the what happens if there is no doctor/dentist available ever. Home care stuff there is quite a bit, but its in a portable container if we were bugging out by car. If we are on foot, its whats in the bob fak and thats always ready to go, leans heavily towards stuff for walking/hiking, and also meds and barriers in case we are fleeing infection.
    what i really would like to get my hands on is a home delivery kit and forceps. In a real teotwawki situation, any obstetric help is going to be valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

CLOVE OIL!!!!

OH woke me up this morning suffering with a toothache.
    Went looking in the FAK and realized that I had neglected anything for oral problems! :eek:

Provided him with two ibuprofen and crushed up some cloves from the spice rack before wrapping them in a little gauze to keep it from rolling around his mouth. And with that off I went to the chemist to get some clove oil.

For anyone who doesn't know what wondrous stuff clove oil is, its essential oil from cloves and provides a numbing effect when applied (cautiously) within any area of the mouth.
    wikipedia on clove oil

And for anyone who has ever had a toothache, I'm sure you'll know its horrific and needs pain relief ASAP.

Getting a dentist appointment at late notice is NIGHTMARE, just about managed to get
    one for tomorrow (quite a drive away, and I'll need to take time off to bring him, the things I do:D)

So yes, having something on hand is very important!

I havn't seen anyone mention anything for oral problems here so I though I'd throw it in!

CLOVE OIL!!!!

Went looking in the FAK and realized that I had neglected anything for oral problems! :eek:

Provided him with two ibuprofen and crushed up some cloves from the spice rack before wrapping them in a little gauze to keep it from rolling around his mouth. And with that off I went to the chemist to get some clove oil.

For anyone who doesn't know what wondrous stuff clove oil is, its essential oil from cloves and provides a numbing effect when applied (cautiously) within any area of the mouth.
    wikipedia on clove oil

And for anyone who has ever had a toothache, I'm sure you'll know its horrific and needs pain relief ASAP.

Getting a dentist appointment at late notice is NIGHTMARE, just about managed to get
    one for tomorrow (quite a drive away, and I'll need to take time off to bring him, the things I do:D)

I havn't seen anyone mention anything for oral problems here so I though I'd throw it in!

good thinking. I've got bonjela type stuff and have been hankering aftera few of those temporary crowns /temporary filling things, but had forgotten about oil of cloves.

Cool improv by the way.

CLOVE OIL!!!!

wikipedia on clove oil

We are, sadly, not allowed to provide medical advice on this forum, a matter I've had words with the admins about.

When in Rome.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    We are, sadly, not allowed to provide medical advice on this forum, a matter I've had words with the admins about.

When in Rome.

What medical advice :confused:

What medical advice :confused:
    Couldn't have little junior ODing on clove oil and mammy coming back to sue now could we. :rolleyes: I dunno, I'm not a mod nor a back seat modder, do as you like.

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't see where I gave any medical advice, I certainly didn't mean to???

The closest to medical advice I can see is
    CLOVE OIL!!!!

All I have said is that I have clove oil in my FAK because I was reminded how important is is to have something for dental issues.
    As it has not been mentioned in the thread and IME it doesn't occur nearly as often as cuts, sprains, headaches, cracked skin etc. I thought it would be good to suggest that people have something to treat oral issues in their FAK too, as IMO it could easily be overlooked.

MODS: Feel free to remove my post, if it is considered against the charter.

Advertisement