Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help get my beast POSTing! Need loan of i7 920 or similar to update BIOS

Options
  • 09-01-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Am building a PC with parts I've been sourcing for the last 18 months or so. I had to put it on hold for a while but I finally finished the machine. It's a games beast and video editing setup.

Here's the problem. I built the chassis and prepared it for first boot. The board would not POST, but all fans, power buttons etc. work. Fans on the VGA card also spins.

I took it to the local repair shop and they say it's a bios issue. The bios is old and isn't up to date. Looks like I got sent old stock. They can't update it because they don't have a supported CPU.

I need to get hold of a suitable CPU to get the PC booting properly. From the release spec, an Intel Core i7 920 will do the trick,...

CPU support for the board.

The problem is I don't know anyone who has this CPU.
    Can you boardies help me out?

Edit: I should add I just want a loan of a cpu to get the bios updated.

Specs for the machine are as follows:
    Antec 1200 gaming case (v2)
    Antec True Power TP-650 PSU
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive 1GB
    Gainward Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Golden Sample

24GB Crucual DDR3 PC-10666 ECC memory (it's a workstation build)
    Intel Xeon W3520
    Asus P6T WS Pro Motherboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Carlow/Kilkenny area but I am willing to travel as far as Dublin or Kildare to get it sorted.
    I have transport. :)

I'm collecting the PC from the tech shop on Weds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm in the middle of exams at the moment, but if you haven't sorted something out by Thursday, I should be free to loan you a 950 to use. I'm in Maynooth.

Cool beans was there myself so I know Maynooth very well.

Will let you know. Good luck with exams dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Also in dublin but if your stuck you can drop up to me and use my 920/rig to test anytime.

• Advertisement

Coolness. Appreciate the offer, will let you know tomorrow after I talk to the repair shop guys.

Advertisement