Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 bonus doggie point for the poster who...

Options
  • 09-01-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭

Good morning folks, just wondering if anyone in this forum could help me out.

I have my dog Bella since she was an 8 week old pup and at 7 months old now, I still have no clue as to what breed she is :(

Beautiful as she is, she's clearly not a full bred and I've asked both her vets for their opinions but they too have failed to answer the question.

Pics below

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

She seems to have the pretty, intelligent looking little head and eyes of a Jack Russell terrier but the ears and legs are wrong, more like a sheep-dog. What's her tail like? Very alert and engaging little dog from what I see in the pictures. Is she yappy and exciteable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

JRT/Collie mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

mathepac wrote: »
    She seems to have the pretty, intelligent looking little head and eyes of a Jack Russell terrier but the ears and legs are wrong, more like a sheep-dog. What's her tail like? Very alert and engaging little dog from what I see in the pictures. Is she yappy and exciteable?

Long thick tail, fierce strength in it! Lost count of the number of time I've been whacked by it when I get home from work and she's excited after not seeing me for hours.

She has the facial marking and ears of a doberman, not yappy in the slightest never barks or whinges just wacks the door/food bowl with her paw depending on what she wants.

I've heard off a few that she could be a doberman/sheepdog cross but even though she's still but a pup, I think she's a wee bit to small to be that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 marijame

Kelpie cross as she's a lot smaller but the ears are very kelpie like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

marijame wrote: »
    Kelpie cross as she's a lot smaller but the ears are very kelpie like

Just google imaged and I think you could be on to something there!

Rufus-Side-on.jpg

Sorry for the large pic but that's almost identical to my Bella, except her nose is a lot longer and she'd be quite a bit bigger than the pup in the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The long neck and head sort of remind me I a sight hound (whippet, greyhound, saluki) but the bodies too heavy, perhaps there's whippet in there somewhere. I wouldn't be too focused on breeds, both parents could have been complete dolly mixtures and their parents and so on so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I'm probably the worst guesser at guessing what a dog is - but a think a few of the previous posters might be onto something with the JRT/doberman line of thinking. And as someone else said (and I deem it a great guess/suggestion) that there may be more than 2 breeds going into the mix - both of her parents could have been mixed breeds as well so you could have a lot going on in her DNA.

I had heard about this for awhile and a friend suprised me with it for Christmas - unfortunately the postal service wasn't as efficient as Santa and it still hasn't arrived :( But I'm definately looking forward to doing it with my girl and seeing what her results are. If you are on a budget its probably not as much of an option but if you have a few spare euros around to settle the debate for once and all - it would be a very interesting thing to have.

http://www.dog-dna.com/

Advertisement