Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix to launch in UK and Ireland today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Had a look through the available titles and most of them seem to be bargin bin DVDs. I know it must be a balance between price and age of the catalogue but it seems a little behind the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

The titles on the main screen, dont seem to be the same ones when you go into browse titles. Does anyone know if the likes of the Mighty Boosh, the Office, Rescue me, etc are available.

Like others, might hold off on trial till more deals are sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There will probably be lots more content when it gets going. In the Usa they got some of the TV networks onboard. Give it time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭clohamon

HomerS wrote: »

Like others, might hold off on trial till more deals are sorted out.

No need to head out onto the roof with the USB modem just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Are our ISP's ready for this?

eircom and the mobile midband operators must be loving this. Lots of lovely overage charges for the coffers:)

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    eircom and the mobile midband operators must be loving this. Lots of lovely overage charges for the coffers:)

But people are already downloading and streaming, this is just a legit option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

But people are already downloading and streaming, this is just a legit option

Sure, that is true, but lots more people will get caught in the overage net especially the poor sods on the NBS or on satellite

The choice is much better once you sign up to the trial. Although I noticed The Dark Knight isn't there (the intro is my usual HD demo). Full quality is a bit of a slideshow here on my up to 8mbit Eircom dsl connection even though it appears to be streaming from a UK ip (87.248.212.92), medium quality is fine.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1696218427.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

HomerS wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the likes of the Mighty Boosh, the Office, Rescue me, etc are available.

The Mighty Boosh Seasons 1 & 2
    The Office (U.S.) Seasons 1-5
    Rescue Me Seasons 1-7

...are available. The Office (U.K.) doesn't seem to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most people have less than 3.5Mbps. So it's streaming and not download?

Yuch. I'll continue downloading. I use batch transfer. It takes a few days but the quality is as good as Tesco.

.... and I have the disk. :) A guy in a Green Van brings the Batch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The choice is much better once you sign up to the trial. Although I noticed The Dark Knight isn't there (the intro is my usual HD demo). Full quality is a bit of a slideshow here on my up to 8mbit Eircom dsl connection [/url]

If you go into account settings you can change the picture quality to best, it's not great on osx I think it's a fault with microsoft silverlight, but is playing in hd perfectly through the netflix app on the logitech revue. Haven't noticed any hegging on either. That's on my up to 7mb(5mb) digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

The choice is much better once you sign up to the trial. Although I noticed The Dark Knight isn't there (the intro is my usual HD demo). Full quality is a bit of a slideshow here on my up to 8mbit Eircom dsl connection even though it appears to be streaming from a UK ip (87.248.212.92), medium quality is fine.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1696218427.png

I got scared off with the requirement to do so through Facebook.
    i don't really need that everyone else knows what fimls I've ordered.
    Enough bad news about Facebook as it is

And so it begins :D: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76424360&postcount=31

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I got scared off with the requirement to do so through Facebook.
    i don't really need that everyone else knows what fimls I've ordered.
    Enough bad news about Facebook as it is

You can sign up without Facebook, just logout of Facebook and sign up with your email

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Thank you.
    Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hi Watty ;) !
    watty wrote: »
    Most people have less than 3.5Mbps. So it's streaming and not download?

Yes its streaming, medium quality is around 700Mb/hour so even someone on a 1Mb connection can use the service. And after testing myself using Xbox Netflix App i can safely say that the "medium" quality is what you get on a Divx/Xvid file, so very decent.
    Yuch. I'll continue downloading. I use batch transfer. It takes a few days but the quality is as good as Tesco.

Aside from the illegal side of things (if you are on about downloading movies illegally that is) the main plus that this Netflix has is the ease of usage. It just works - GUI on the Xbox app or Android app is simple, very easy to navigate. If you pause a movie at home on your Xbox you can pick up where you were on your android phone elsewhere too :D - And of course, no waiting time, select what you want and watch it right away (noticed a tiny 10 second buffer however).

Overall i am extremely impressed with the service so far, im not paying for Sky, never have, but this is something i can see myself paying for at that price providing they update the content* regularly.

* by updating the content i understand Netflix isnt to get the latest stuff as quick as my local video shop (thanks TheDoc)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My "downloading" consists only of buying authentic discs online, delivered by post.

Really only UPC has the infrastructure to cope with this. My UPC using friend has a 250Gbyte cap, > 20Mbps connection and currently free trial of Netflix.

This will benefit UPC.

I have no interest in such a service, but if I was, it would make a big hole in a 60Gbyte cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

ditto with Watty.
    I buy original discs online and I've only a 30GB cap so Netflix is not for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

it would make a big hole in a 60Gbyte cap.

No bigger than what most people are using nowadays downloading illegal movies :D - And if i do my maths right on medium quality its still over 45 1h30mn movies / month with 60gb. Thats a lot of movies :D

Sure it wont be easy for ISP as caps are likely to be used a lot more due to the ease of use of the Netflix service but that is to me a step in the right direction when it comes to digital video delivery to the house.

I do still buy what i consider great movies on Disc too btw :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ZeRoY wrote: »
    I do still buy what i consider great movies on Disc too btw :cool:

I'm yet to sign up to Netflix (waiting of feeback) but this could be the thing that stops me buying movies on disc. Interesting times... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'm yet to sign up to Netflix (waiting of feeback) but this could be the thing that stops me buying movies on disc. Interesting times... :)

I'm confused, why do you need to use Netflix to stop buying discs? If you have the broadband for Netflix why don't you just buy off iTunes for legal downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm confused, why do you need to use Netflix to stop buying discs? If you have the broadband for Netflix why don't you just buy off iTunes for legal downloads?

Netflix is much cheaper. Watch as much as you want for €7 a month. How much is one movie on iTunes? I believe it's more than €7.

Fair enough, Netflix is only a "rental" system. But even that is cheaper than the likes of Xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Personally I'd sooner not have to install bloatware (itunes) on my computer so I'm grateful for Netflix's arrival but I'm going to wait until I rebuild my media center and reconsider my broadband options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Plenty of other places to discuss the merits of the Netflix service on boards, so please stick to IrelandOffline-related topic of the impact on caps, and the original question asked.

Ta!

Somebody mentioned in the Android forum that 3 have already blocked it, not suprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

murpho999 wrote: »

Mainly principal. I use iProducts but strongly dislike iTunes. The idea of streaming (and €6.99 per month, unlimited) strongly appeals to me. iTunes is roughly the cost of a DVD / CD yet there is nothing tangible about it. I would gladly buy directly from an artist but I won't pay for downloads unless there is benefit to me, ie cost.

Edit: Sorry Cgarvey, just saw your post after I posted this. I was answering a question but feel free to delete. :)

Advertisement