Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i apply to get more money on my grant?

Options
  • 09-01-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

so i got a grant and i'm only getting about €170 a month, that was okay until the restaurant where i worked closed down last week, but my mum worked there too so now we both are left without a job.
    i don't think i'm gonna be able to survive on €170 a month and i have most of my loan spent on my accomodation and don't wanna depend on my dad, and also there aren't many jobs in my town where i could only work weekends.. so i was wondering would i be able to write to the vec and enquire about more money, or will i be wasting my time?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

jem92 wrote: »
    so i got a grant and i'm only getting about €170 a month, that was okay until the restaurant where i worked closed down last week, but my mum worked there too so now we both are left without a job.
    i don't think i'm gonna be able to survive on €170 a month and i have most of my loan spent on my accomodation and don't wanna depend on my dad, and also there aren't many jobs in my town where i could only work weekends.. so i was wondering would i be able to write to the vec and enquire about more money, or will i be wasting my time?

If your old man has money, your wasting your time:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jem92

well he doesnt have a lot.. he can't pay bills and pay for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭kthnxbai

Well, there is a form you can fill in for change of circumstances. However, depending on what grant you get etc., it might not be of any use.

You say you get about 170 a month, so are you on the full non-adjacent rate? The only way to get more than that is if your parents have been receiving some form of social welfare for a while. This is the special top up rate. That said, my mother is on BTEA and my father has his own business, but receives a small amount from the social welfare (from his stamps, think it's unemployment benefit, not the assistance one) because he earns so little, yet I am still not entitled to the top-up. I get a measly 104 quid a month and my bus costs 82!

Oh, also, the total reckonable income has to be below about 22 grand to get the top-up. That's the lowest bracket I think. It depends on the number of dependent children, etc etc.

Have a look here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9522/change-of-circumstances/index.html

If you're already renting somewhere, could you look for work wherever that is? Would there be more jobs there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jem92

thanks a million i'm gonna give this a go now.. hopefully i get something sorted out..
    thats crazy money for a bus.. !! it's hard surviving on just your grant especially when theres no jobs around..

Advertisement