Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a 3/4 Bed Home

Options
  • 08-01-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi I am thinking of building a 3/4 bedroom bungalow however there is a catch, can anyone give me any advise at all??

My parents have agreed to let me build my own home on their 1 acre site however they want me to add onto their house like an extension so the house does not look out of place but to have my own sep front and back door

Can anyone give me any info at all i.e. do they need to sell some land to me or is that possible??

Am I liable for stamp duty??

Will the bank issue a mortgage for a self build on the basis of it being attached to another house

Any info great;y appriciated!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I have done this several times for clients. It certainly is possible to do it, but we can't tell you here whether you would get planning permission or not, you would need to get professional advice on site for that.

Treating the existing house as a 'granny flat' and building your house onto it offers the opportunity to redesign or upgrade part of the existing house as well as providing a new dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 geronamo1

treating the exsisting hgouse as granny flat?? Its a 6 bedroom bungalow is that possible??

I know they aplied for planning permission before on this site and a percualtion test was required which was done and failed so they did not proceed

Is this goning to be an issue or is there a way around it??

cheers

Well we won't be discussing any "ways around the planning system" here as that breaches the forum charter.

However, whether your house or the existing house becomes the 'granny flat' then both dwelling units can be directed to the existing sewerage treatment system, which may need to be upgraded to cater for the full loading, it depends on the size and type of system which is in place.

Bearing in mind that there is a directive from the minister that any new application made after the 10th January 2010 should be determined in compliance with the EPA Code of Practice for sewerage Treatment Systems for Domestic Houses.

Generally, a six bedroom house cannot be considered as a granny flat, that is why I said it is an ideal opportunity to re-design part of the existing house. Any wasted space or extra bedrooms could by used by your side of the property.

thats great and thanks very much for the advise !!!

is there a limit to the size of a granny flat and in your opinion would you add it onto the existing property r keep it seperate in a different partof the garden, as i said its an acre, also we wer told before the septic tank was too close to the original house to begin with at only 9 metres away so was tnkn of gettn it moved anyway when building is going on

Not being smart, but it isn't my choice, I won't have to live there. One thing to remember, lots of people live in Semi-D's, effectively that is what it would be, maybe with a connecting door.

Just a point on the treatment system(s), one house one treatment system, two separate houses two separate treatment systems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP, so really its about your dwelling not looking out of place. what your proposing on your parents site can allow for the creation of 2 separate buildings but could be as inter-connected as you deem necessary. I would not say that a granny flat is entirely necessary, and would veer more towards a courtyard layout or some shared external/ inter-connected space. but a bungalow plonked in the back garden without any thought should definitely be avoided:). see here for meath coco's opinion p77 onwards

Cheers Bryan F

Ye thats the kinda thing we are after something to add onto theirs to keep it looking the same building but at the same times have my own access with one or two interconnecting doors

budget wont be too big either prob 100,000 as i advised i would carry out works on their property and garden to the amount of about 20k you know you think id manage a 3 bed house for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

1: You will need separate title to the site as if u need to borrow against it.

You also need separate title so as the parental home can be sold if required.

I would go for separate entrances also from the road, its all find and dandy now but families/land/money have a long history of going pear shaped relationship wise.

Are u an only child, because if not the paperwork needs to be squeaky vis a vis the other family members, undue influence........etc

Assuming reasonable values they should be able to gift you the land so avoid paying any tax.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat1.html

will get u started, rate is now 30% on balance over threshold exemption.

You mention the site failed the perc test, will it pass if u move the existing tank as mentioned?

Cheers Carlow

Yes i would hope it would pass if it was moved

No i am the eldest all my siblings still live int the property

unfortunatly there is no way to create another entrance as there is a cancal to the left of the property and a lane belonging to the council on the right

is it possible for me to buy part of the land for like a small amount or sumtin to become exempt from tax??

For CAT the first 250k is tax free at the moment so that should do you, however u may have to buy it as the others will be pi$$ed if u get it for free.:)

Stamp duty between family members is half the normal
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/stamp-duty/reliefs-exemptions.html

Consanguinity relief
    This relief applies to transfers of non-residential property to certain relatives, e.g. parent, grandparent, step-parent, child, foster-child, adopted child, brother, sister, half-brother/sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew. Duty is charged at half the normal rate. This relief does not apply to leases or transfers of shares. Finance Act 2011 confirmed that consanguinity relief would no longer apply to transfers of residential property with effect from 8 December 2010.[ as its now 1% : my words]

I don't mean a 12 lane freeway for separate access but unless the property can be made legally separate with its own unencumbered right of way/access then u wont be able to borrow.
    Yes i would hope it would pass if it was moved
    You need better than hope {canal next to site.....}

• Advertisement

ok and is there way around that at all that we cant use the same one as i dontt nk there wud be any way at all to make and additional entrance

does this mean the mortgage comp would not lend in this instance?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

geronamo1 wrote: »
    budget wont be too big either prob 100,000 as i advised i would carry out works on their property and garden to the amount of about 20k you know you think id manage a 3 bed house for that?
    20k refurb - when working on existing buildings, that sort of money can get swallowed up very quickly.
    80k budget - minus planning contributions, professional fees, waste treatment unit, service connections, your at 60k.. your 3/4 bungalow just became a 1/2 bed annex:)

no i have 120,000 or at least i tnk i will

100,000 for house

AND 20 for refurb sep

geronamo1 wrote: »
    ok and is there way around that at all that we cant use the same one as i dontt nk there wud be any way at all to make and additional entrance

There is always a way, its a question of money and innovative thinking.

It may end up as being a legally designed shared entrance, however this is outside my limited area of knowledge but it can be done
    does this mean the mortgage comp would not lend in this instance?
    Unless the bank can repossess and sell the house with no issues re right of way/access then they wont lend.

Just on the percolation.

The canal will most lightly mean the water table is always high in your land hence the difficulty with perc test

Advertisement