Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Comms?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

how do drivers communicate to one another or the stations etc? Is it radios or phones or what?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

how do drivers communicate to one another or the stations etc? Is it radios or phones or what?
    thanks

Irish Rail has a secure RF network which allows connection between trains and signal cabins. Trains operating with guards usually have CB radio sets in use to facilitate shunting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

isn't GSM-R going in as part of DASH2? only Dublin area I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thanks
    2103850699_e254522d1c.jpg

up to the 80s they had to use track-side phones in most areas of the network but most areas are now covered by cab radios but on certain sections around Nenagh there are still black-spots of reception afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

That was an interesting read, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have been working on the GSM-R project in Britain for the last 6 years including the national trial of the technology, rules and application!

http://www.gsmronline.com/gsmrinthenews/story_19.php

I wonder when Irish Rail are interested in GSM-R!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Anytime i have seen one of the 071s or 201s run around their freight trains in Kildare one of the station staff uses the phone on the platform as soon as the engine moves from it's rake of wagons.When this happens does the person phone Connolly as regards to the signals or does he be talking to the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Rud wrote: »
    Anytime i have seen one of the 071s or 201s run around their freight trains in Kildare one of the station staff uses the phone on the platform as soon as the engine moves from it's rake of wagons.When this happens does the person phone Connolly as regards to the signals or does he be talking to the driver?

He would be talking to the signalman in Connolly.

Advertisement