Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ferries that allow dogs travel in cabin between Ireland and the UK

Options
  • 08-01-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just a quick question to see if anyone knows of a ferry compnay that allows dogs to travel in cabins between ireland and the Uk. May have to go to the UK and I have two small dogs that will be coming with me. They are not used to cages so dont want them in the ferry kennels. If left in the car do they have to be in carriers or can they be loose in the car.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

They can be loose in the car, thats what we do with ours (Boxer), also give her some tablets, can't remember what they are, too make her a bit drowsy as all the banging and noises can be scarey.
    You will not be allowed to bring your dog into the cabin area under any circumstances, unless a guide dog.
    What ferry you using? If it's Ulysses then the kennels are pretty big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

They can be loose in the car, don't have to be crated.

Sorry, I don't know any ferry companies that allow you to take dogs into the cabins. However,last year I met a woman that was travelling as a foot passenger,and she had a dachshund in a pet carrier inside in the passenger areas. She let it out while she was sat there, and had it on her lap:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cocomc

Thanks for the replies, nothing definate planned yet as to when going but the dogs are my main priority as one of them gets terribly stressed in a crate so thats why the on board kennells are a bit of a no no. I have heard from someone before that Norfolkline allow them in cabins so might give them a call and see. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

scudzilla wrote: »
    They can be loose in the car

Just keep in mind you won't be allowed access to the car if you leave them in it while the ferry is at sea, at least I'm pretty sure this is the case.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Cocomc wrote: »
    I have heard from someone before that Norfolkline allow them in cabins so might give them a call and see. Thanks again

Let us know if find something please, I'm collecting a puppy in the UK shortly and this would be my preference also!

• Advertisement

Cocomc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, nothing definate planned yet as to when going but the dogs are my main priority as one of them gets terribly stressed in a crate so thats why the on board kennells are a bit of a no no. I have heard from someone before that Norfolkline allow them in cabins so might give them a call and see. Thanks again

Is Norfolkline the one from Dublin to Liverpool? We travelled with them a few years ago, but they've been taken over, by Stena I think, so if they did allow pets in cabins previously, this may have changed. I hope not, would be good if you could have the dogs in the cabin, its a nice crossing, dinner and breakfast included in the price, and long enough so that you actually get a decent sleep.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just found this:
    On the Belfast to Liverpool route pets are not permitted in cabins or other passenger areas. You must book a dog kennel which are available on the Promenade Deck and allow access to your pet throughout the crossing. Not only can you visit your dog but you can also exercise them under controlled conditions. This costs an additional £15 single per kennel and this can be booked at step 4 of the booking process.

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/routes/belfast-liverpool/tickets-and-fares/#pets

* No mention of pets for any of the other crossings *

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cocomc

There goes that idea of bringing them in the cabin but will still call tomorrow to double check. So leaving them in the car seems to be the only option, would the fast ferry be a bit too choppy for them, as want to minimise the stress as much as possible as I think 3 hours in the car on their own with all that noise would stress the gills out of one of them

Have your dogs ever been left in for any length of time at the vets or a groomers? If so, they would have been put in a crate, so it might not be as bad as you think on the ferry. However, I would only put a dog in the kennels on board the Ulysses, Irish Ferries, Dublin-Holyhead. It is a seperate room with crates in it, and I think is just like our vet's room, where my dogs have spent time after ops etc:) Any of the other ferries I've seen just have crates on the vehicle deck, which would terrify most dogs.

My dogs are used to the ferry now, they go on them frequently, but they are inside in a van, in crates that they are used to, I wouldn't want to put mine on the fast ferry, I think it would move around too much for them - but thats probably my problem, not theirs, they probably wouldn't be bothered at all. In fact, we came back from Wales a couple of nights ago and it was very rough in the middle of the sea, so no worse than a calm sailing on a catamaran.:rolleyes:

If there's an option to sit outside with them on deck on the fast ferry that might suit best, don't know if it is an option though. Bring plenty of warm clothes though! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement