Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to input APN Settings on an iPhone 3G / No Cellular Data Network Option

Options
  • 08-01-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I gave my unlocked iPhone 3G to my girlfriend who is on a different network (Three). Three require that you input some APN settings in order to use the internet, iTunes, etc.

On most iPhones you will see an option to input APN settings under:
    Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network

However, there appeared to be no option on the iPhone 3G.

I downloaded this official iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple and installed it.

Once I ran the iPhone Configuration Utility:
    1. Make sure you have connected your iPhone to your PC via the USB cable. The first thing to do was to add your device/iPhone. Click on the device menu option on the left-hand-side and click add device.
    2. The next thing to do is to go to the Configuration Profile section.
    3. Once in the Configuration Profile go to the General tab, enter a profile name and an identifier. In my case I entered "three" as the profile name and "com.three.profile" for the identifier (without the double-quotes).
    4. Next, I went to the Advanced tab (near the bottom). From here I was able to input my APN settings. For Three in Ireland, all I had to do was enter "3ireland.ie" in the APN name textbox and leave the username and password one blank.

I now went to the iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings -> General -> Profile (this is a newly created menu item).
    2. Tap to install the profile.
    3. Turn your iPhone off and turn it back on.
    4. Voila!

Hope someone finds this of use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

all of that was unnecessary, if you went to settings>general>about or settings>carrier and waited maybe 20 seconds it would have prompted you to download a carrier file, connecting to itunes with the 3 sim in the phone would of prompted you aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

guil wrote: »
    all of that was unnecessary, if you went to settings>general>about or settings>carrier and waited maybe 20 seconds it would have prompted you to download a carrier file, connecting to itunes with the 3 sim in the phone would of prompted you aswell

I downloaded the carrier settings and it wasn't working so what I posted above was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jamesjoyce

guil wrote: »

This doesn't pick up if the phone is jailbroken and software unlocked. Only of the phone was always carrier unlocked initially. If jailbroken and software unlocked, find a wifi connection and go to www.unlockit.co.nz then select your country and carrier it does the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

This phone was unlocked by O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Guys the op was trying to be helpful

• Advertisement
Advertisement