Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How To Spot A Fake NCT Disc

Options
  • 08-01-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has already been covered.
    I tried a search but don't see anything related

A couple of adverts I have seen recently have an NCT disc displayed, but do NOT have the date of the test on the disc?

Any tests I have had done, (including the one below) all have the test date printed on the disc too?

Is it possible that the disc is still valid even without a test date on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it only came in last year to print the actual date of test on them, previous to this the discs are diferent. I think it happened around the time the current company took over. Hologram is best way to check but I'd also run a history check to be sure and insist on test results and full cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

or lick the disc to see if it was produced on an ink-jet printer :) Mmmmm, NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

OK. You actually got me wondering!
    So I went out and checked discs on both cars

Oldest disc on one was with expiry 03-06 and test date is 15-04-2004
    Oldest disc on other car was with expiry 01-09 and test date is 05-02-2007

So, it would appear that it's always been there??
    Well, back as far as 2004 anyway!
    Incidentally, all discs in between also have all the test dates printed

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

I think since Applus took over it has become de rigeur to show the test date, previously it was down to printer settings in each NCT office.

In 2009 if you put the discs from Ballymun, Naas and Fonthill next to each other you would have sworn at least one was fake (differing fonts, ink blots, etc), but would have found it hard to tell which one it was!

Interesting, so it would appear that the test date thing is by Test Centre then?

I've gone through the NCT site and don't see anything about how to spot a fake disc etc. I would have thought it would be in their own interest to point out how to check for forgeries, much like currency

• Advertisement

Gonna sound cynical here, but why is it in their best interests to show a forgery? All it would do is show the forger how not to do it!!!

LOL
    I actually thought the very same thing as I was typing it and was about to delete it, but left it in!!

OMG! I don't believe it!

Go to Google Images and search for fake NCT disc! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    OMG! I don't believe it!

Now thats funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pred racer wrote: »
    OMG! I don't believe it!

Now thats funny :D

Ha ha, that's unreal.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Ha ha, that's unreal.

At least the forger's know what not to copy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How To Spot A Fake NCT Disc
    run a history check to be sure and insist on test results and full cert.

Simple

Del2005 wrote: »
    Simple
    That's all very well if it's THE car you want
    What happens if you are looking at 10 or 20 cars and want to check?
    Cartell and these guys should do a bulk package.

That's all very well if it's THE car you want
    What happens if you are looking at 10 or 20 cars and want to check?
    Cartell and these guys should do a bulk package.

You look at your 20 or 30 cars, I looked at more when I was changing, then when you decide which you want to buy do a history check. Why would you check out cars you aren't going to buy?

If your travelling a long way do a history check before you leave otherwise you should never really buy on a 1st viewing.

When I was buying my car the dealer did a history check for me. I still did my own and got someone else to look over the car, as even though I know my way around a car a 2nd set of eyes never hurt and anyone selling who won't allow this is a reason to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Hi Mike,

That sounds like a good idea. What do you think the pricing should be? We do have substantially reduced prices for traders who run large volume of enquiries but we're always looking for ways to add value.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know why anyone would want to do history check on more than say 3 cars unless everything they check throws up issues. If you package large bundles of checks for private buyers, you could end up with alot of people giving away unwanted checks to friends, to people on here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

Well if thats the case of most people not wanting to check more than a car or two why not introduce a system where you can still buy a bulk package of say 5 car checks for X amount spread over an unlimited space of time. That way your saving money if say the first 3 cars are lemons.

Motorcheck wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

That sounds like a good idea. What do you think the pricing should be? We do have substantially reduced prices for traders who run large volume of enquiries but we're always looking for ways to add value.

Very hard to say, and as this came up as part of a discussion regarding fake NCT, if I was looking through a lot of cars and there was a very basic check available (FREE IDENTITY CHECK + current NCT status/expiry date and date of last test + current or last tax details), I'd probably pay maybe €5 per car for that much detail. Maybe 10 credits for €50 or something like that.

OK, the FREE IDENTITY CHECK is basic and free and proves the car is what its supposed to be

The NCT check will at least let a buyer know IF its a real NCT, and also, if it has just recently been done, as a lot of advertisers say "has just passed the NCT", and you see the date of test is maybe 12 months ago!

Finally, the road tax results would be helpful too. If I see the last tax was for 1 year and its recent, I know the car has been in use, whereas if it has just received 3 months for the first time in a couple of years, it could leave the buyer more informed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Its not easy to do, but you can try this:

Look at the VLC for the first registration date and ring a friend to attempt to book an NCT on the www.NCTS.ie website.
    If you can book it in, then its FAKE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Best of luck with the sale OP ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sorry if this has already been covered.
    I tried a search but don't see anything related

A couple of adverts I have seen recently have an NCT disc displayed, but do NOT have the date of the test on the disc?

Any tests I have had done, (including the one below) all have the test date printed on the disc too?

Is it possible that the disc is still valid even without a test date on it?

Think about what you are saying.. if someone is going to reprint an NCT disc (both this and the Tax disc are very simple to print up at home if inclined) then they arent going to be saving Ink by just not printing some random date, for no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

If you have doubts about the disk, you could ask to see the certificate which comes with it.

Very hard to say, and as this came up as part of a discussion regarding fake NCT, if I was looking through a lot of cars and there was a very basic check available (FREE IDENTITY CHECK + current NCT status/expiry date and date of last test + current or last tax details), I'd probably pay maybe €5 per car for that much detail. Maybe 10 credits for €50 or something like that.

OK, the FREE IDENTITY CHECK is basic and free and proves the car is what its supposed to be

The NCT check will at least let a buyer know IF its a real NCT, and also, if it has just recently been done, as a lot of advertisers say "has just passed the NCT", and you see the date of test is maybe 12 months ago!

Finally, the road tax results would be helpful too. If I see the last tax was for 1 year and its recent, I know the car has been in use, whereas if it has just received 3 months for the first time in a couple of years, it could leave the buyer more informed

Why do you want to know this when looking at a car ad? You aren't responsible for back tax when you buy and if the NCT is out make it a condition of sale.

I know buying 2nd hand is risky but you seem to be putting to much emphasis on things that aren't important till you decide to buy, rather than judging the car and seller.

As I said if you're travelling a long distance to view a car then it's worthwhile doing a history check otherwise view the car and if you like it place a deposit on condition of it having a clear history and an independent check over. If the seller won't allow this then don't buy and if you don't feel comfortable leaving a deposit with the seller, why would you buy off them?

Advertisement