Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a neutered bitch still be in heat and attract gentleman callers?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,
    Our 5yr old border collie has been behaving oddly recently, the folllowing are examples of behaviour that may not seem odd but it is the opposite of how she normally is - hard to get her out of the house, into/out of the car for walks, etc. She seems nervous and we're wondering if she's in heat, despite having been neutered last year. There seems to be a number of dogs loitering around our front lawn of late and our 5yr old terries (male, intact) is also behaving differently to normal, he's being quite attentive towards her in the last week or two.
    I've read that she can still show the signs of being in heat despite being neutered. Is this true and will she attract males during this time? Should we look at separating the male and female for a while, could their close proximity (share sleeping quarters and garden) be difficult for either of them?
    Thanks for reading, I hope someone can help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

One of my bitches was spayed a few years ago now, but the vet thinks that she missed a bit, so Sky still gives off the signs of coming into season every 6 months. She is going through it now, and is having to be kept seperate from the rest of the dogs, not because she can get pregnant, but because the males - neutered:rolleyes: - are finding her very attractive and its causing problems in the pack.

My new vet wants to open Sky up again and see if she find the missed bit of uterus, although it will probably be really tiny, and difficult to see, this has to be done while she is exhibiting this 'false season' though, as it will be enlarged and easier to see.

Maybe the same thing happened with your bitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have a bitch that was neutered years ago , during her operations there were complications and the vet said he believed some '' tissue '' was left behind. As a result she does have a type of season and does attract the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Hi, thanks for the replies. I suspect something similar may have happened to Lassie during her operation. We didn't have her when she was neutered so I might have to check with her previous owner. Thanks again, I reckon this is probably the source of all the strangeness this past week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mrroboito wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I suspect something similar may have happened to Lassie during her operation. We didn't have her when she was neutered so I might have to check with her previous owner. Thanks again, I reckon this is probably the source of all the strangeness this past week.

My cynical side has to ask... Are you certain she was neutered at all?
    Sorry if you got her off someone you know and trust, but I just wonder! Stranger things have happened!

Advertisement