Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda octavia 1.9tdi gearbox

Options
  • 08-01-2012 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I have a 1.9 tdi stays slipping out of 5th gear any easy way to cure this problem ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

red bull wrote: »
    I have a 1.9 tdi stays slipping out of 5th gear any easy way to cure this problem ?
    Bungie pulling it forward.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there any oil in the gearbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Duct tape. Fixes everything. Failing, that, check if there's oil in the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Looks like I should be on the lookout for a 2nd box ? any advise price ? how much to fit ? is it worthwhile 165k miles on her but no other probs great mpg. Confused to say the least my tiger is dead !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Have you checked the gear selector linkage for any wear in the balljoint. VW sell a repair kit for it as it wears and causes sloppy gear changes i.e difficlut to get into certain gears or reverse. Its accessible from beneath the car and best replaced by removing the linkage itself.

• Advertisement

AzureAuto wrote: »
    Have you checked the gear selector linkage for any wear in the balljoint. VW sell a repair kit for it as it wears and causes sloppy gear changes i.e difficlut to get into certain gears or reverse. Its accessible from beneath the car and best replaced by removing the linkage itself.
    Thank you I will get my mechanic friend to have a look. Have no other prob with gears except for 5th gear

Any tips on buying a sechondhand gearbox ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

red bull wrote: »
    Any tips on buying a sechondhand gearbox ?

Try Traynors in the north, they deliver to the south and mark all their parts, if it's faulty they'll take it back.
    Also, it's a common as muck combination, the 1.9tdi + 5sp box, you should have zero probs sourcing one, VW Golf, Passat, Audi A4, A6 (old) Seat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What year is the car?

What year is the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If you find that you do have a gearbox problem then you need to get one from a Golf, Bora, Octavia, Leon, Toledo or Audi A3.

An A4/A6 or Passat gearbox is no use to you.

Advertisement