Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright enquiry

Options
  • 08-01-2012 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey guys i was just wondering if any of you folk could help me out. Im just wondering what the story is with using a painting from roughly 100 years ago as album artwork. would there be copyright issues here or would the art be considered public domain at this stage?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

moby1 wrote: »
    Hey guys i was just wondering if any of you folk could help me out. Im just wondering what the story is with using a painting from roughly 100 years ago as album artwork. would there be copyright issues here or would the art be considered public domain at this stage?

Copyright generally lasts for 70 years so you might be fine by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Not really enough info; best I could tell you is that it depends on the painting.

My guess on a roughly 100 year old painting is that I wouldn't risk it; say the painter was 20 at the time and lived to even 50, it may still be just protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

NoQuarter wrote: »

Copyright generally lasts for 70 years so you might be fine by now.
    Life plus 70 though

Not to mention if it was a collaborative work, say started by one painter finished by his student; it would be life plus 70 of whoever died last.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭moby1

thanks folks, ill try find out the details of the painting

Advertisement