Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vauxhall insignia opinions. Or alternatives?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Am about to change my car in the next 2 months or so and will probably return to the uk or northern Ireland as I was very happy with the value for money on the last car I bought there 3 and a half years ago.

I just spotted a very nice 2010 vauxhall insignia 2.0 cdti automatic and am wondering what experience people have of these? are they reliable/problematic? Fun to drive? Comfortable?
    The one im lookin at has low mileage, lots of kit/spec , emissions not bad for an auto.

My budget is in the region of €20,000 inclusive of vrt. What im looking for should be max age 2010. Also needs to have leather/half-leather,cruise control and usual toys,large boot and kinda sporty looks.
    I've never owned an automatic before but I would like my next car to be auto as im spending a lot more time on the road,not completely essential either.

Otherwise, I've been looking at
      Audi a4 ((143 or 170 bhp, s line, can't really afford the auto) Honda accord (2.2 GT Es or exec) BMW 320d (very little spec included on my budget) Mazda 6 (180bhp, I'm not hugely gone on these but a mate recommends his) Currently have 150 bhp and don't wanna go down much from that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

The one in the tv ad looks nice it's probably the highest spec model. They also mention 3 adjustable drive settings-is that suspension settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Mondeo titanium X 2.2 tdci. Think they're 170bhp and a lovely spec

Edit:Octavia rivalling boot in the hatchback (which most UK ones are!)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

They're a lovely car but if you're looking for a decent sized boot forget about it, the boot design is brutal.

Must. Not. Suggest. Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lambasted wrote: »
    The one in the tv ad looks nice it's probably the highest spec model. They also mention 3 adjustable drive settings-is that suspension settings?

Sounds to me like it's comfort, normal & sport modes so I would think it's suspension, throttle response etc.

I've seen the boot in a few photos and they look kind of cramped with storage compartments or something taking up the room at the sides.seems to be mostly 5 doors on the market but they're are a few 4 doors available which IMO are a lot nicer.
    Re: skoda octavia- I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to skoda so they're out, mondeo out for the same reason and the fact they're a bit more common.
    Thanks for the suggestions though.
    Anyone have actual owner experience of the insignia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think Vauxhall sell the Insignia in saloon form as there is little or no demand for saloons in the UK. Opel sell a saloon here though.

Of the 2130 insignias on auto trader uk only 102 of them are 4 doors so yeah you are right there must be no market for them. I think they look nicer/ sleeker from the side profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Of the 2130 insignias on auto trader uk only 102 of them are 4 doors so yeah you are right there must be no market for them. I think they look nicer/ sleeker from the side profile.

There's very little difference, profile wise, between a 4 door and a 5 door. The hatch is styled more or less the same as the saloon, but the boot is less usable.

The 4 door boot does pop up from the key and that's the only benefit of the 4 door.

Emissions on Auto's were 177g at launch and have been dropping, but were still 157g (24%) up to the end of last year. MY 2012 is down to 144g which still isn't fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If it's a fun chassis you're looking for, then in the RWD world the 320d is the one to go for on your list. In the FWD world, then the Mazda 6 is the best. Mondeo would be next, and Insignia actually gets very close to the Mondeo, bettering it in one or two areas.
    The Accord is competent and comfortable more than entertaining. The A4 is grippy, but not much fun and no feedback, so not entertaining, and not fantasticly comfortable over rough roads either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They're a lovely car but if you're looking for a decent sized boot forget about it, the boot design is brutal.

I have to totally disagree there. The boot is wonderful. Loads of space in it. We bought our Insignia because it has loads of space in the boot.

We have the saloon version (SRi, 2l CDTi)

Paulw, would u fit say 2 sets of golf clubs(or similiar) comfortably in the boot?
    Any other feedback as not many insignia owners on here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Paulw, would u fit say 2 sets of golf clubs(or similiar) comfortably in the boot?
    Any other feedback as not many insignia owners on here?

2 sets? With plenty of space.

I took myself and two others photographers to Scotland in it. Now camera gear is stored in large hard cases (max airline hand luggage size), plus additional gear bags, plus clothes bags. We put all the gear in the boot.

You'd fit two large luggage cases in, with room. So, your golf clubs should be fine.

Go to your nearest Opel/Vauxhall garage and just have a look in the boot.

Advertisement