Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping with Campervan + Motorcycle on tow

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Howdy folks.

I've done a few trips around Europe over the past couple of years ,with the wife, on a motorbike.We stayed mostly in campsites in a tent.

I've decided to buy a camper van this year, but I still want to bring the motorbike for local touring, and tow it on a trailer, both here and abroad.Looking at a few vans to get me started, but haven't seen any at the right price.As a starter, not looking to spend a whole lot.

My question is to anyone that did this. Do you pay additional costs for the bike, and how convenient is it to park given that a lot of sites have limited size pitches?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

What kind of van are you getting? If you look up a "race camper" on donedeal you will find plenty of vans that have space for a motorcycle in the rear, normally with the sleeping area above it. Bike racers use them a lot and also for go-carting, motocross etc. I've seen prices from €1500 to €60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Was thinking of getting a van conversion jobbie, 2/3 berth.Something like a VW Transporter or Transit.Was gonna get a foldaway motorbike trailer, seen a few on UK sites, and tow that behind.Prefer to keep all van for accommodation.Also,I think there might be insurance issues if I carry the bike in the van, at least that's what I read somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

When thinking of putting a motorbike on the back of a camper the first thing to consider is the extra weight on the rear axle and the weight lifted off the front axle due to the see saw effect.

For example a bike and bracket weighing 150Kg fitted to a vehicle with a 1,2 meter rear overhang will put a weight of about 200Kg on the rear axle and reduce the weight on the front axle by about 50 kg. Does your camper have have the spare capacity to take these extra weight, both overall and on the rear axle without being overloaded.

Trailers and in particular small bike trailers are virtually imposable to reverse when towed by a camper due the them being totally out of sight.
    Perhaps you might consider one of http://www.ezetow.co.uk/ezetow.co.uk/Home.html, the place very little weight on the towing vehicle and have none of the disadvantages of a trailer when reversing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

have a look at this site,

http://www.tomturnerandsons.com/index.php?p=7

he built a carrier for his own bike and it looked the business.

met him in the carpark at Roscoff. nice fella.

I have no connection to him whatever, but his work looked stunning.

Had a look at his website and this is IT

http://www.tomturnerandsons.com/index.php?p=6&id=6

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Here, the cheapest option for towing a bike.:)

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Techo

Thanks for replies..ended up getting a Sprinter conversion campervan with a garage..Just looking for suitable bike now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Lash up some pics!

Advertisement