Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request full statement of all past bank transactions?

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to request a full statement of my bank account and/or credit card, detailing all past transactions? If so, do you have any idea what they would charge? I've had a current account for over 10 years and a credit card for about 5 years with AIB.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Not sure about aib but it may not be possible to get statements going back more than 6 years with a request from a solicitor.

They are normally only given for legal reason so requested by solicitor, guards and revenue.

Also be careful of the charge, this could be an expensive request. If they charge per page it will be impossible to work out the charge prior to ordering them.

According to their t&c's they charge €2.54 per page.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stack0487

Thanks for the info!

Wow, is that even legal? Charging €2.54 per PAGE?!?!

Plus, you need to get a solicitor involved?

Jesus, I've read that in the UK, you can just request it yourself (and ask for records of all transactions, rather than asking for "past statements"), and the absolute maximum they can charge you by law is £10!

Is there no provision for accessing your own personal information (e.g. if your original statements were lost in a fire) without being financially screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Perhaps I am being too simplistic about this:
    Under Section 3 of the Data Protection Acts, you have a right to find out, free of charge, if a person (an individual or an organisation) holds information about you. You also have a right to be given a description of the information and to be told the purpose(s) for holding your information.

You must make the request in writing. The person must send you the information within 21 days.

Under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts, you also have a right to get a copy of your personal information. This applies to all types of information -for example, written details about you held electronically or on paper, photographs and CCTV images. You are also entitled to know where the information was obtained, how it has been used and if it has been passed on to anyone else. All you need do is write to the person or organisation holding the information. You need not quote the Data Protection Acts, but it is a good idea to do so. Your letter might read something like:

Dear ...
    I wish to make an access request under the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form. I am making this request under section 4 of the Data Protection Acts.

You should also include any additional details that would help to locate your information - for example, a customer account number or staff number. You may be asked for evidence of your identity. This is to make sure that personal information is not given to the wrong person. When requesting some types of record, such as credit history or Garda records, it may also be useful to provide a list of previous addresses, previous names and your date of birth. You may be asked to pay a fee, but this cannot exceed €6.35.

Once you have made your request, and paid any appropriate fee, you must be given the information within 40 days (most organisations manage to reply much sooner).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

TonyStark wrote: »
    Perhaps I am being too simplistic about this:

Read the definition of personal data....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The request of information won't incude all your transactions. Just information about you like accounts you have and you have applied for. Also personal information like current/previous addresses and phone numbers. Anything the bank have on file.

Don't think you'll need a solicitor for the statements. The charge is right.

• Advertisement

Well I read it twice.

I can only comment one one bank which is not aib. You'll not get statements more than six years old unless it's for legal reason and they charge €3.81 for the first page and €2.54 for the next page and the rest have no charge.

Aib state it's €2.54 per page with no limit specified.

The DPA is n/a in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yeah they charge a lot for duplicates. You would have been issued statements previously on a monthly/quarterly/yearly basis and these are for you to hold onto. If you want them again you will be charged a good bit of change.

Also as previously said you will struggle to get statements passed the 6 years as this is the minimum period the bank must maintain records of transactions/data.

Also OP you take about the maximum £10 charge in the UK. This equates to a charge of €6.35 (i think) for requests under the data protection act. As already said this will not get you statements.

Can you go back 6 years with aib online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Can you go back 6 years with aib online?

Nope, just two/three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I wonder could the banks tell you how much money has passed through your account since opening? I'd be interested to find out how much money I've squandered through the last 15 years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Just had a look there. It's 2 years for current accounts and 1 year for credit card accounts online. On top of that, I have older statements (going back until 2007) downloaded to my hard drive.

dotsman wrote: »

Just had a look there. It's 2 years for current accounts and 1 year for credit card accounts online. On top of that, I have older statements (going back until 2007) downloaded to my hard drive.

Is that with AIB? I have Internet banking and with AIB and the max you can go back is a couple of months...

Scrap that! I signed up for eStatements, so I can at least get two years of past statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The new BOI has a handy thing were to can export your statement as a CSV file to use in Excel. This would be very handy for some people. Businesses use this kind of feature a lot as allows importation of transaction to accounting software.

However only allows 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

stack0487 wrote: »
    Scrap that! I signed up for eStatements, so I can at least get two years of past statements.

Yup, that's what I meant. Very handy feature. Especially when you download them and save them as I do. That way, even in 15 years time, I will have statements going all the way back to 2007 (when I started getting eStatements).

Advertisement