Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do people like Peter Kay as a comedian?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I'm sure he is a cool enough guy but his humour totally sucks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

He's funny as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He's a funny guy, in the same way my alcoholic housemate is funny.

He's just not (IMO) funny enough to be rated as a comedian.

Though his success tells me I might be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

He's a funny guy, in the same way my alcoholic housemate is funny.

He's just not (IMO) funny enough to be rated as a comedian.

Though his success tells me I might be wrong

He has a pretty good delivery, and does seem sound

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is in Celeb & Showbiz?

I've watched everything he done from That Peter Kay Thing to Phoenix Nights all the way up to Britain's Got The.. and to be honest, he's lost his spark in writing good TV.

His stand-up is absolutely superb though (saw him in Dublin last year, and didn't disappoint)... plus he's always great in interviews.

Different strokes for different folks tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I never liked him, even when he was supposed to be good.

That reminds me, someone lent me one of his DVDs a couple of years ago and I couldn't be bothered watching it. I must remember to give it back.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I love his stand-up! Never fails to make me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Funny guy, plus I like his Mamarillo cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

He's hilarious. Anyone catch him on Jonathan Ross last season? Really gave him a run for his mobey!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Watch Phoenix Nights, the man's a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lads, it's boards. The formula is simple. Funny + success = abuse.

The OP doesn't like the fact that Kay is so widely lauded.

Kay may be a ruthless business man and someone who will release a Christmas DVD every year, even if it doesnt contain any new material... But he is funny and some of his projects up to now, especially Phoenix nights and the Blackpool tower and bolton Albert hall gigs...have been genius IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,154 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Takes a lot of talent to reminisce about something.

*runs and hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Lads, it's boards. The formula is simple. Funny, + success = abuse.

The OP doesn't like the fact that Kay is so widely lauded.

Kay may be a ruthless business man and someone who will release a Christmas DVD every year, even if it doesnt contain any new material... But he is funny and some of his projects up to now, especially Phoenix nights and the Blackpool tower and bolton Albert hall gigs...have been genius IMO.

Perhaps he can't come up with new material since he fell out with his Phoenix Night co-writers? Perhaps he would have disappeared into oblivion a long time ago, were it not for their contribution? There's obviously no love lost between them now as you can see in the Wiki quote.

I don't criticise him because he's successful, I criticise him because I don't find his style entertaining or find him funny. It smacks of old-fashioned humour that was probably performed in front of Noah before the flood subsided. I see his style appealing to old grannies.

Still, each to his own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Kay
    Despite having co-written Phoenix Nights with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice, Fitzmaurice spoke of his dissatisfaction with Kay taking sole credit when he left their names off the script book. “I can only presume they took out all the bits Dave and I wrote.” Kay was also nominated for a book prize alone. Fitzmaurice added, "The only way I can explain it is that people are affected by fame in different ways. It was basically about a lack of respect, a lack of recognition for me and Dave. Spikey also criticised Max and Paddy saying: "Hate to say it but pretty obvious, blatant, unsophisticated comedy for me. But, hey what do I know? It did very well and got nominated for a National TV award so I must be in the minority.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

He makes me cringe...have to turn over whenever he appears on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I don't find his stand up funny anymore. The jokes about his nan, tea and such are getting old at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Peter Kay doing standup comedy... sucks

Peter Kay in Max & Paddy's road to nowhere and Phoenix nights... first class

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Kay is best at tapping into the nostalga thing that appeals to many people. He also has a nice 'northern' deadpan delivery and funny voice and look of incredulity. He's very good at that.

When he imitates women on talent comps, it's not funny. He's great in his core areas of expertise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I saw one gig he did and thought he was good, so I checked out another one. It was basically the same jokes again! He has a good delivery though and a natural comedic presence. He just doesnt seem to try.

I've heard he's a complete tosser IRL as well.

Advertisement