Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are bon jovi in denial

Options
  • 07-01-2012 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

by not splitting up by now?

These Days was great
    Crush was cool enough with it's soft rock tracks
    Bounce was a nice comeback to the hard side of rock
    Have A Nice Day was similar to bounce and had it's moments

Then Lost Highway came out I had a listen to it once and threw it away in the bin because country, let's face it ****ing sucks.

I heard The Circle bombed (haven't listened to it yet to form an opinion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Have they not been **** since New Jersey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I used to enjoy a it of Bon Jovi back in the day. Seen them twice at the Point at the start of the 90's and they put on a great show. Keep the Faith was an ok album but i lost interest after seeing them at the RDS in '95. They were terrible and i ended up leaving after an hour.

Tbh i haven't listened to anything they've brought out since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I hate Bon Jovi, never been my kind of band to be honest, but I got free tickets to go and see them in Punchestown back in 2008 because Kid Rock was their opening act and I'm a big fan of his.

Anyway I went along with a mutual friend I knew through my brother, I think he just wanted a free ticket tbh lol, and Kid Rock put on a really good show. Razorlight came on and I nearly fell asleep, I've never seen a band drain the life from a pumped up crowd, and I left Bon Jovi would suffer badly after this dreadful support.

I am proud to admit I was wrong, and they may not have made a fan out of me, but they did put on an incredible show and were excellent live. The set was made up of the usual 80s/90s mainstream rock hits you'd come to expect from a Bon Jovi set but their energy onstage was something I didn't expect.

I think like most bands they've reached a point in their career where they're never going to break ground and, rather then release the same stuff they play live to death, enjoy experimenting with studio releases. They are at a stage in their careers where they are able to do that and just play music they want to play as opposed to what a label demands of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Circle was their only big mistake over the last few years, in my opinion. It sounded closer to a U2 record than a Jovi record. However, the last few records before that (Lost Highway, Bounce, etc) were good stuff. I'll always ignore one or two bad records in a bands back catalogue.

Either way though, if they never realised another record ever again, they'd still sell out stadiums left right and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I hate Bon Jovi, never been my kind of band to be honest, but I got free tickets to go and see them in Punchestown back in 2008 because Kid Rock was their opening act and I'm a big fan of his.

Anyway I went along with a mutual friend I knew through my brother, I think he just wanted a free ticket tbh lol, and Kid Rock put on a really good show. Razorlight came on and I nearly fell asleep, I've never seen a band drain the life from a pumped up crowd, and I left Bon Jovi would suffer badly after this dreadful support.

I am proud to admit I was wrong, and they may not have made a fan out of me, but they did put on an incredible show and were excellent live. The set was made up of the usual 80s/90s mainstream rock hits you'd come to expect from a Bon Jovi set but their energy onstage was something I didn't expect.

I think like most bands they've reached a point in their career where they're never going to break ground and, rather then release the same stuff they play live to death, enjoy experimenting with studio releases. They are at a stage in their careers where they are able to do that and just play music they want to play as opposed to what a label demands of them.

I was at that same show and to be honest, they bored me witless. Encore after encore after encore.... They have some great songs but are definitely on the decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

I was at that same show and to be honest, they bored me witless. Encore after encore after encore.... They have some great songs but are definitely on the decline.

I am a big fan of the music, have seen all the tours to Ireland and agree that this was a very ordinary gig, but apart from the 88 gig indoors in the rds which had dreadful sound issues all the concerts have been memorable

Last year's Circle tour was much better and i saw them indoors the year before in Paris which was a fantastic gig

The Circle itself was a pretty average album, 3 good songs imo and the rest are standard life/love/family ramblings

not sure what the band can do to change/improve other than keep doing the same music and not stick in dodgy filler tracks - they are too old to bring in a huge following from today's kids - they need to keep their lifelong fans and will pick up others along the way - but to be fair to them, and it comes across in most in their live performances they still have the same desire and attitude on stage as they always have - and still put in 2.5 hour gigs with all the hits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Bon Jovi is a machine, they've been more a country rock band than a hard rock band for a long time now, Country is where it's at in the states sales wise, so that's the direction they went in - and singles/albums getting to No.1 in the Country charts justify's their move I'm sure from their point of view.......

I still think they are an excellent live act but the last couple of albums have done nothing for me.....I enjoyed Bounce.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Only song I ever liked was Wanted Dead or Alive.... just thinking that's a country rock song...

/hangs head in shame

Advertisement