Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo: ignition coil burning

Options
  • 07-01-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I replaced No.1 ignition coil last week but it burned up today after a long journey. I could smell burning and opened the bonnet to find the new coil burned out. The car wont even start now.

My car is 02 polo 3 cylinder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What make was the coil you fitted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

Ya that's something I've never really saw to be honest must of being bad wiring on the loom.as asked b4 what make was it.i still think its gona be a wiring problem that caused this

I have seen it happen before with cheap coilpacks. Saw a few cases across various makes where a coil shorted out as described above and blew the drivers in the ECU causing a non start. Hopefully this hasn't happened to the OP but it sounds like it may be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

Hi, I have the box it came in - it seems to be a standard VW coil.

So if I replace it with a new coil you're sayin that wont fix it ? Is it a big job to get the drivers fixed in the ECU ?

Is it a genuine VW coil?

Normally when one coil fails an engine will start and run on the remaining cylinders (2 in this case) The fact that yours won't start isn't a good sign IMO. Try replacing the shorted out coil as you will have to do that anyway, then check the fuses for the engine management. There are 2 at the drivers a-pillar fuse box IIRC. There may be others so might be worth checking all the fuses just to be sure. Then if it still won't start you will probably need to call in the pros.

• Advertisement

It says Genuine Parts on the box....Made in Turkey ?

Yea, I put in the old coil I replaced and the engine still wont start. As you rightly say, normally it will run on the 2 cylinders. Will check the fuses in the morning. Thanks for your help, George

You are welcome. Let us know how you get on. If you need any more info just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

Something similar happened to my Opel Astra. Not only I had to change the coil pack, but the ECU unit was damaged as well and had to be repaired. Fixing the ECU unit alone was €500 :(

Theres a few fuses broken so will get new ones tomorrow. Hopefully its just that but something tells me it wont be that easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

The only way around this is to replace all spark plugs & coils!

• Advertisement

Lads, is there a fuse box right beside the battery on a VW 02 polo ? Should I be checking those aswell

There is a fuse box there yes but I don't think any of them are for the engine management on your car. Still probably worth checking them to rule them out though.

When you turn on the ignition do the engine management and EPC lights come on?

Got the problem sorted. By the process of elimination, I replaced one fuse and it started. So George was spot on - its the fuse box next the driver. What happened was the ignition coil shorted and the power to it caused the fuse to blow in the supply to the control unit. There is no fuse scheme on the flap (my car is 2nd hand) and my owners manual doesnt have it either.

So, for future reference, here is how you find it:

Start at the bottom and count up 5 rows. There are 3 fuse ports on that row. Its the fuse near the driver or the 3rd port in from the front. Its 15 amps and underneath the grey 25 amp.

It would be very hard to find this on the roadside if you didnt know it.

I cant understand why the coil burned out.

Thanks for your help. Very relieved it was just a fuse. The car is starting now and running on 2 cylinders.

btw, where is the fuse box near the battery - I couldnt find it.

Glad you got sorted, you were lucky to get away with it!

Yea, I couldnt believe it tbh. Was sure this was gonna be an expensive job.

Hopefully, the faulty coil was a once off, and its not something causing it to burn like that, will have to see...

Advertisement