Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Legged Buzzard

Options
  • 07-01-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Quite a few twitchers in Greystones today to see our newest visitor. Funny, I saw the bird and just dismissed it as an immature Common Buzzard. You can see the photos over on Irish Birding.com. Here in this area we have had, WTS Eagle, Osprey, Hobby, all three harriers, Peregrine, Merlin, Goshawk ,Se Owl, LE Owl, Barn owl, Kestrel. Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, and now this fella. Pretty good!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

nice photos of that buzzard, catching the winter sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A good find all right - a few turn up every winter along the East coast of England but rarely make it to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Still there today, flying from Charlesland towards Kilcoole village. A good place to look from stubble field just beyond Glenroe Open Farm (marked by two large stone gate posts).

Also present were Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and ring-tail Hen Harrier, while the Black Redstart was still at the usual site in Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

all three harriers

It's either three harriers or all four. Or five?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

V_Moth wrote: »
    A good place to look from stubble field just beyond Glenroe Open Farm (marked by two large stone gate posts).

Also present were Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and ring-tail Hen Harrier, while the Black Redstart was still at the usual site in Greystones.

That's the ruins of Ballygannon House; can also be approached from the other direction, up a spooky track from the coastal path.

Whereabouts does the black Redstart reside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

recedite wrote: »
    That's the ruins of Ballygannon House; can also be approached from the other direction, up a spooky track from the coastal path.

Whereabouts does the black Redstart reside?

In this bay here:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=53.1488938&lon=-6.062597&z=17&l=0&m=h

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Yeh, still hanging around Kilcoole, I've been out there 6 times now and wasn't lucky enough to see him, only saw a Common Buzzard, twice....:rolleyes:

My day will come, going to be in the area on Wednesday, l hope he will be still knocking around when I'm there..

Advertisement