Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car without NCT?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a few cars recently.. Nissan X-trail's actually..
    Supprising how hard it can be to find a particular car when you go looking :rolleyes:

Lots seem to be for sale without NCT :confused:, is this happening all across the board??

Here is a good example...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2817414

It looks great but NCT is out a month and current owner has no intention of putting it through the NCT.. Now I'm not a big fan of the NCT but I think having no NCT leaves room for some discount, how much would you look for ??

Two other things about the link above...
    Does the front bumper seem a different shade?, maybe resprayed?
    Also the chap claims it's his own car... wasn't sure on how many previous owners, exact expiry date of NCT or tax... googled the phone number and it's listed to a garage, could he be selling a pup privately ?? Would that put you off??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bernardas

Tell him if he will pass NCT you will buy car.If he will not agree than just go and looking for another.Nobody does not sell good car.That is rule Nr 1.
    I understand you about you cant wait .But I spent arround 2 months before I found my car.Try buy on North.Good rate of sterling.Just check VRT tax before you will buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I assume youve noticed the front bumper being the wrong colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I assume youve noticed the front bumper being the wrong colour?

Indeed... even mentioned it in the first post :):)

I'm not rushing at all... I've seen/driven three excluding the one above which I didn't go to see as IMHO he wasn't totally honest..

It's a waiting game, the little wad of cash gets to live another day ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

2.2 litre Xtrails are problematic. Be careful.

Also, go for ELEGANCE spec, miles ahead of the basic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,700 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No NCT and a potential front impact put me off, she could be bent like an accordian when looked at on an inspection lift, wouldn't touch it without NCT unless I was getting it for 50% of an NCT'd model, too much potentially can be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭whippetgood

I was helping a friend look for a car on DoneDeal a couple of weeks back and we were ringing a few of the numbers to ask further questions about interiors, number of owners etc and I swear to god ended up talking to the same guy 5 seperate times in about 20 minutes... theres car dealers acting as regular people, tying to sell cars so just be wary of higher prices as 3rd party in these cases..

i'd recommend cross checking with some other sites but I guess that's obvious!! I ended up buying a VW Polo for myself through www.buyandsell.ie , got it about 4 months ago and got a good deal on it..made sure it had NCT as was too wary of the ones without it tbh.

Advertisement