Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA sexing?

Options
  • 07-01-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I have a male (i think) cockatiel Púca and a female Ceara. púca whistles and sings like a male, but lately has started puting his head down, tail up and chirping softly to the female. he acts like a male, but he does have a small bit of grey on his face. also, he is a 'pearl' cockatiel but he hasnt lost his pearl marks (most males do but hens dont). is there anywhere in dublin i could have him DNA sexed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you give Bairbre OMalley a call she'd be able to help with this,shes one of the main exotic vets in Ireland. As far as im aware samples (blood or feathers) are sent to a lab in the UK. Im not aware of an Irish lab that does it.
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is there any reason you need them sexed there's no need to go to the expense unless there's a real reason for it. Take some really clear photos of both the tiels from all angles around their face and post the photos on some tiel websites like cockatiel cottage and they should be able to tell you.

Generally you don't need to dna test a cockatiel unlike some birds is should be easy enough to tell the sex maybe someone with a more experienced eye can tell you with some photos.

Here's another site that might help http://www.singing-wings-aviary.com/cockatiels.htm actually come to think of it if you do take the birds to the vet mentioned they'll probably be able to tell you up front.

Advertisement