Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back surgery

Options
  • 07-01-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello every1 I injured my back last august lifting weights I went to doc an he told me I prob jus pulled a muscle another month later and after a lot of physio I went back and demanded to have an MRI scan done. I have l5 s1 disc out and the disc is torn I rely on my back for my career an I am be,ry worried to go for surgery. I live in Galway and saw orthopaedic consultant mr McCabe who was good an told me he would take a small part of my disc out, I am worried I could be in worse pain after surgery, has any1 had this surgery before? I am only 24 an dnt wana be left crippled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Your in very good hands with Mr McCabe - he operated on my back 14 months ago. Also the op your going to have will change your life - for the better trust me. Do as he tells you and you will be fine. Your planned operation is very common and there is loads of info out there - check out spine patients society (google it). Rest assured Mr McCabe is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I doubt anyone can tell what you'll be like a few years down the road after surgery, but if your're in pain you don't have much choice.

Few other threads on back problems
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055804775
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056324703
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088773

Stop lifting weights, waste of time hobby, the amount of people that end up with long term injurys from lifting weights...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

hiya,

I was 23 when my disc went for no reason, it sat on my sciatia nerve doing rotten damage, after 8 weeks in hospital as I could not walk, I got the surgery. Absolutely fine afterwards, went from 24 hour non stop pain in my legs, back and bum to pain free and active again. I never ever regretted my surgery and no problems since. best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I had this done about 8 years ago, very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Darragh11

Thanks every1 I am goin to get a 2nd opinion of a dr young in Dublin before surgery. I know McCabe is very good but I just don't wana rush into surgery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have a ruptured disc. L3

Was horrible for the first 6 months, but with pain meds ,physiotherapy and exercise I have got over the pain. 1 year later it is still there and I have had to change my lifestyle to deal with it.

I avoided surgery and really should be a very last resort option. It can go badly wrong in some cases.

If you are interested I can go through some exercise routines I used to recover.

It was not easy but over time I have healed somewhat. I am shorter by 5mm and my step(gait) has been affected.

I am now able to run for 5km without stopping . But had to give up motocross (the cause of the injury) .

There is hope without the knife.

I am a welder and my work is also quite physical, I had to go on the sick for 2 months and relayed alot on work colleges to regain myself.

I go to the gym every 2nd day do a lot of stretching an only cardio can do is bike, do weights but just machines no free weights, back had improved but over done it on core work last nyt and felt back going, I am a refrigeration an air conditioning engineer so all heavy liftn but I feel myself I wil go down the road of surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

HI Darragh, I'm under Dr. McCabe aswell and find him brillant. I'm not suitable for surgery but have degenerative disc disease on L1 & L5.

Have u tried the hot yoga in the Carlton in Galway, I do it twice a week and find it brillant for my back.

Tried yoga and Pilates and find it tough on my back I have few stretches that I do myself but I've got to the point now where I'm so fed up with the pain and can't train comfortably that I want to get surgery but have lots of ppl tellin me not to that il be worse afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Darragh11 wrote: »
    Tried yoga and Pilates and find it tough on my back I have few stretches that I do myself but I've got to the point now where I'm so fed up with the pain and can't train comfortably that I want to get surgery but have lots of ppl tellin me not to that il be worse afterwards

Have these people gone thru the surgery or "do they know of a friend who did it"?

I did the regular yoga and found it hard but the heat in the hot yoga helps loosen up your muscles.

• Advertisement

It's ppl teln me they knw sum1 who had surgery an are crippled afterwards, it very annoyn coz nw I think I could be left in a wheelchair afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Personally Id look into everything before agreeing to surgery.

I have a friend in work who had a bad back injury (2 discs damaged) from a car crash. He was told by 3 different surgeons that he needed surgery or he would be in awful pain for life. He spent over a year in and out of work. He tried literally everything to avoid surgery and eventually he tried spinal decompression - it worked for him. He has had an MRI since and most of the damage has shown as repaired by itself, he keeps on top on things now with exercise.

Im not suggesting you dont have surgery but I have had 2 orthopediac surgeries in my life (both on the same joint, not the back) and my joint has never been the same and I wish no one had ever touched me with a knife. A joint is never the same afterwards.

Look into everything before you make your decision.

I know someone who had spinal fusion surgery in the early 90s, she was alright (a few aches and pains) for about 10 years before the pain came back, ended up bedridden for months at one stage, no surgeon wanted to touch her then, to much of a risk.

She goes for epidurals every now and then now, depending on how bad the pain is. Seems to numb it.

Surgery is definitely a last resort, spinal decompression is mentioned in one of the links above.

What is spinal decompression and where could I get it done? How come my orthopaedic didn't mention this to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

modnote: maybe it's not suitable for you darragh.

can people please steer away from offering medical advice such as this. posters here have
    no way of knowing whether or not the op is suitable for any type of intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

think you need to go back and talk to your surgeon - he is the only person that can advise you properly

Darragh11 wrote: »
    What is spinal decompression and where could I get it done? How come my orthopaedic didn't mention this to me?
    -_-

Seriously??:confused: You still didn't bother to read the linked Threads????

I'll give you a clue........it's in the third one!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 martigk

Hi Darragh,

Mr.Young operated on my neck three years ago and on my friends lower back 2 years ago, he's brilliant, great guy too, will tell you straight and he has a great website that shows you annimations of how the surgery is caried out. www.spineireland.ie check it out

my friend couldn't walk without a walking stick and the week after her surgery she was out doing 45 minute walks every day

good luck

Advertisement