Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E60 Business iDrive upgrade/retrofit options

Options
  • 07-01-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I recently bought an 05 E60 with business iDrive. The system is basic with no nav or Bluetooth. I have been looking around other forums for some info on upgrade options but there is a mess of conflicting views and one guy stating he added nav easily but never came back to describe how.

So I am looking to see if any boardsies did anything like this it know about it.

options:
    1. Complete upgrade to professional iDrive. Too expensive I think.
    2. Upgrade current install with nav unit from another e60 with business nav installed. I think this is just a matter of swapping the ccc.
    3. Add Bluetooth in the same way as number 2. I am not very clear on how this can be done. My car has the steering wheel controls but I don't know if any other components are present.
    4. Install this unit: www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=57&cat=17&page=1
    and add nav via the rgb input. I have only seen one nav unit so far that supports this. this doesn't support bluetooth but offers other nice features.

NOTE: I know and fully understand that installing a parrot Bluetooth, or using a tomtom or garmin or even my Android phone for nav would be easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Have a look at the PDF here: www.bmwcarx.com/web/DocumentosBMW/CCC_EBA_Retrofit_E60.pdf

There's a CCC on Done deal at the moment too, reasonable I think. Search for '520d parts'. Might be for CCC only, you'd need screen and other bits too. There have been a number of discussions around this here and there. It is do 'able' but you'll likely need CCC, 8" Screen, cables and much messing with i-drive switches (not just menu type, seems it’s a different button) and also work to route an antenna.

I've thought about this stuff a bit, but never bothered. Best aftermarket option I've considered was the 'Dension' box (phone, ipod, no nav) and there was a company called JDM in Bray doing these reasonable. It would be a nice to have in built nav but not worth it when a tomtom with better maps and easier updates (BMW update DVDs are €€€) is a far cheaper and more practical option. A retrofit seemed excessive in comparison. Most post on web suggest to trade the car in rather than attempt retrofit... there's a message there.... but it could be a fun project all the same if you had the right connections in a garage or dealers. Not very likely in Ireland though, where most stealers are less than helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

TJJP wrote: »
    Have a look at the PDF here: www.bmwcarx.com/web/DocumentosBMW/CCC_EBA_Retrofit_E60.pdf

There's a CCC on Done deal at the moment too, reasonable I think. Search for '520d parts'. Might be for CCC only, you'd need screen and other bits too. There have been a number of discussions around this here and there. It is do 'able' but you'll likely need CCC, 8" Screen, cables and much messing with i-drive switches (not just menu type, seems it’s a different button) and also work to route an antenna.

I've thought about this stuff a bit, but never bothered. Best aftermarket option I've considered was the 'Dension' box (phone, ipod, no nav) and there was a company called JDM in Bray doing these reasonable. It would be a nice to have in built nav but not worth it when a tomtom with better maps and easier updates (BMW update DVDs are €€€) is a far cheaper and more practical option. A retrofit seemed excessive in comparison. Most post on web suggest to trade the car in rather than attempt retrofit... there's a message there.... but it could be a fun project all the same if you had the right connections in a garage or dealers. Not very likely in Ireland though, where most stealers are less than helpful.

It's all well and good fitting the hole system.thats not the problem on hand at all.take ur time and you will get it fitted once u have everything u need.the only problem ur going to run into is activating it with the control modules in your car.its not as simple as put it in and it will work you also need the BMW gt1 or the likes so it can be activated and matched to the car with variant coding.its not like years ago where u could just put bits and bobs off other cars. Everything requires matching to the original modules on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Cheers guys

Bottom line is it probably isnt worth the effort and expense. that dension box is alot like the parrot MK9200 which isnt a bad option for adding bluetooth and MP3 connectivity. A garmin or my android for sat nav woulds suffice. It would be nice to have it work through the idrive though. I might add that multimedia interface somewhere down the line though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

The dension 500 with the Bluetooth option is probably your best option. It integrates completely into the idrive system and steering wheel controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Looked into getting a CIC or professional on a 6 series a while back, was absolutely astonishingly expensive. Best bet is a fancy Denison they are a great bit of kit and plug and play. If you go to BMW-Driver.net you will see a good few examples of these.

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32657
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32312
    http://www.dension.com/product/iPod-iPhone-car-adapters/iPod-car-kits/bluetooth-car-kits/gateway-500

• Advertisement
Advertisement