Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good People of Boards

Options
  • 07-01-2012 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

HI all..

Yeah first post what a Boards.ie N00b I know :P

Anyway I intend to stay on the Boards scene for a while so it won't be the last!

well Im posting here just to let you guys know Im starting up an IT/pentest/hacktivist kind of group but looking for some Irish members...

Any groups I have been a part of in the past have been based in the US or UK so this time Im just looking for som Irish IT Sec enthusiasts...

Well if your interested let me know..

P.S

I <3 /b

and D0wn with SOPA!

N0DE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So, how many proxies are you behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 N0DE.Anon

Hmmm...Lost count :/

nice one for the reply though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

N0DE.Anon wrote: »
    Hmmm...Lost count :/

nice one for the reply though...

Ah yeah. Acci-bumping. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

N0DE.Anon wrote: »
    well Im posting here just to let you guys know Im starting up an IT/pentest/hacktivist kind of group but looking for some Irish members...
    You may get a better response in the Security forum for the IT/pentest bit, but I don't know about the hacktivist part :|

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

the_syco wrote: »
    You may get a better response in the Security forum for the IT/pentest bit, but I don't know about the hacktivist part :|

I think so too, will move it there! ;)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

So far the two Irish "hacktivists" that I know of went and got v&. The Irish computer crime guys are not people to be trifled with, they really do know their ****.

Anyways, as one of the guys said to me a while back, you can launch all the DDoS attacks you want, deface hundreds of webpages with your "crew", dump as many MySQL db's as you want... Etc. And nothing changes. You do all this hard work, own loads of people, and still. NO change. After a while, you are not doing it for any "cause" or reason, but only because you don't know what else to do.

Hacktivism? That is just a media buzz word. Trust me. No amount of deface/dump/expose/ddos will change anything. Sure, they ****ed over Barr, but that is about it.

PROTIP: Don't stand too near any doors. And perhaps buy replacements for them in advance.

Also, read this

0x006c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

infodox wrote: »

Anyways, as one of the guys said to me a while back, you can launch all the DDoS attacks you want, deface hundreds of webpages with your "crew", dump as many MySQL db's as you want... Etc. And nothing changes. You do all this hard work, own loads of people, and still. NO change. After a while, you are not doing it for any "cause" or reason, but only because you don't know what else to do.

Script Kiddie

Script kiddie? Who exactly was that aimed at? Merely making a point about the sheer pointlessness of "hacktivism" as it achieves nothing except act as a nuisance for the innocent people involved whose details get dumped.

Sure, it acts as an annoyance to the firm/organization/person targetted but in reality the real victims are those who get caught in the crossfire.

Look at the "Sownage" hacks. Sure, it made Sony look bad, but in the end the real victims were those whose details were leaked all over pastebin.

Call me a hypocrite for it, but that is my opinion having taken a LONG time to think it over.

Also, for the record, calling someone a "script kiddie" when you hardly know what they have done/are capable of is kind of foolish. Sure, the attackers mainly used simple techniques (LFI, RFI, SQLi, CGI-BIN injection) but that is because more advanced tricks were NOT needed. The sites had GAPING security holes in them. And the use of automated tools by attackers is often a matter of expediancy/speed over "leetness" per se - it is MUCH faster in my experience to let an auto-dump script dump a large MySQL db once you find an injection than it is to go about it manually. And as I, and others, have found, writing a custom script to dump a database is pointless considering SQLMap does the job anyway.

A simple attack method doth not a skiddie make. Hell, you could call the guys who owned RSA skiddies 'cos they used a RAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

infodox wrote: »
    Script kiddie? Who exactly was that aimed at? Merely making a point about the sheer pointlessness of "hacktivism" as it achieves nothing except act as a nuisance for the innocent people involved whose details get dumped.

Sure, it acts as an annoyance to the firm/organization/person targetted but in reality the real victims are those who get caught in the crossfire.

Look at the "Sownage" hacks. Sure, it made Sony look bad, but in the end the real victims were those whose details were leaked all over pastebin.

Call me a hypocrite for it, but that is my opinion having taken a LONG time to think it over.

Also, for the record, calling someone a "script kiddie" when you hardly know what they have done/are capable of is kind of foolish. Sure, the attackers mainly used simple techniques (LFI, RFI, SQLi, CGI-BIN injection) but that is because more advanced tricks were NOT needed. The sites had GAPING security holes in them. And the use of automated tools by attackers is often a matter of expediancy/speed over "leetness" per se - it is MUCH faster in my experience to let an auto-dump script dump a large MySQL db once you find an injection than it is to go about it manually. And as I, and others, have found, writing a custom script to dump a database is pointless considering SQLMap does the job anyway.

A simple attack method doth not a skiddie make. Hell, you could call the guys who owned RSA skiddies 'cos they used a RAT...

Sorry I was not calling you a script kiddy , I should have been more clear that it sound like the the definition of a script kiddy. Most of the people who deface websites download some code run it and don't understand what it dose, you seem know what your doing .

No worries man. Easy for me to misread things...

If you want a seriously good laugh, sit in the #antisec channels and watch the skids there spam people like Sabu with requests for help... Help with using Havij :| (Hackforums is another funny place to laugh at skids!)

I find that while normally, yes, it is script kiddies that do defacements, etc, some of the people involved in this "hacktivism" do know what they are doing, but are simply misguided into believing they are doing any good. I know better than most about that misguidance...

AS for the OP: DO not follow through with your plans. If you wan't to make a difference, do it LEGALLY.

• Advertisement
Advertisement