Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knx courses Ireland

Options
  • 07-01-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Just a quick enquiry regarding knx training in Ireland. Are fas the only body facilitating this course and if so any idea what level of demand (waiting list?) exists?

Any advice appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Just a quick enquiry regarding knx training in Ireland. Are fas the only body facilitating this course and if so any idea what level of demand (waiting list?) exists?

Any advice appreciated!!
    There are 3 KNX training centres in Ireland.
    http://www.knx.org/knx-partners/training-centres/knx-tc-result/?countrycodes[]=0353&search=Show

I am a registered KNX Integrator. If you have experience is another BMS system it will help on the course. If you are thinking it may help with job prospects, it wont at the moment. There are very few projects happening and the ones that are are tiny. The maintenance side is even smaller as you can carry out a lot of maintenance remotely. Just type 'KNX' into any jobs site. You will get zero results.

Another issue with the training centre is the level of equipment they have. I was speaking to a guy who was on one of these courses. He told me what they covered, I was not impressed. They will defend it and says it means the 'mimimum' requirements. We need to be doing way more than the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

Mylow wrote: »

Any advice appreciated!!
    There are 3 KNX training centres in Ireland.
    http://www.knx.org/knx-partners/training-centres/knx-tc-result/?countrycodes[]=0353&search=Show

I am a registered KNX Integrator. If you have experience is another BMS system it will help on the course. If you are thinking it may help with job prospects, it wont at the moment. There are very few projects happening and the ones that are are tiny. The maintenance side is even smaller as you can carry out a lot of maintenance remotely. Just type 'KNX' into any jobs site. You will get zero results.

Another issue with the training centre is the level of equipment they have. I was speaking to a guy who was on one of these courses. He told me what they covered, I was not impressed. They will defend it and says it means the 'mimimum' requirements. We need to be doing way more than the minimum.

Mylow! Much appreciated and very informative response. I didn't realise there was so few projects using this protocol!!

To be honest, the course would just be a means to expand my general knowledge within the electrical engineering discipline. Iv been on a few courses over the last few years (access control, control systems etc) and can relate to the disappointment in bein
    g educated the mere basics (which in truth we could probably do ourselves and not waste 900 quid)

The goal is to become comfortable with BMS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

There is

South West College, Dungannon. Co Tyrone,

www.swc.ac.uk/knx-automation.aspx

Thats where I done my KNX training.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 maxer

I completed the KNX basic, advanced & graphical courses in Germany about 7 years ago from a large manufacturer. The Training center was pretty good. The main advantage was that the trainer was involved KNX since its beginning and knew KNX inside out. On the advanced course we covered temperature controls, constant light level controls and many more valuable topics.

The Basic course locally just teaches you how to use the ETS software and covers some very basic functions. Also many of the local trainers have no practical experience to pass through. We hired some guys and unfortunately they couldn't get their head around the software as the trainer had skipped over a lot of the applications.
    It is really to yourself after the course to understand software the applications and products enough to make yourself valuable as an engineer. KNX has many niche applications and areas of potential.

In terms of Projects, most of our past and current projects have values in excess of 100K, we already have a full order book for this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

maxer wrote: »
    I completed the KNX basic, advanced & graphical courses in Germany about 7 years ago from a large manufacturer. The Training center was pretty good. The main advantage was that the trainer was involved KNX since its beginning and knew KNX inside out. On the advanced course we covered temperature controls, constant light level controls and many more valuable topics.

The Basic course locally just teaches you how to use the ETS software and covers some very basic functions. Also many of the local trainers have no practical experience to pass through. We hired some guys and unfortunately they couldn't get their head around the software as the trainer had skipped over a lot of the applications.
    It is really to yourself after the course to understand software the applications and products enough to make yourself valuable as an engineer. KNX has many niche applications and areas of potential.

In terms of Projects, most of our past and current projects have values in excess of 100K, we already have a full order book for this year ;)

Thanks for the info maxer, sounds like your well established with knx!!

So what would you recommend then?

I'm currently waiting for a training centre in Dublin to put together there schedule for the year. This is the basic course!

Is it worth doing or is there alternative more comprehensive training available.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 foteyo2538

If you are looking for KNX Training in Ireland, contact KNX Ireland (www.knxireland.com). They offer bespoke training solutions across a range of levels and disciplines. I was recently trained by Ryan at KNX Ireland and service, knowledge and support was second to none. Also came to my office to deliver training so it was much more practical.

Advertisement