Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten advice needed

Options
  • 07-01-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I've been considering getting a kitten for some time now.
    I've never had a cat before but I have no problem with the effort and cost involved.
    My issue is that I live alone and I'm not around the house much during the week with work and other commitments.
    I don't think where I live is good to let a cat roam free because there are a few stray cats which I think could cause harm.

Is it wrong to leave a cat cooped up in the house all day when I'm not there?
    Because if it is then I won't go ahead with it.

I spoke to a woman yesterday who knows about these things and she advised me that I might want to consider getting two cats so they can keep each other company while I'm away.

I'm wondering would two cats be a lot of work and too much of a commitment for someone who had never owned a cat before?
    Or would it be just the same as owning one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I live by myself too, have a cat and have no qualms about leaving him during the day when i go to work and have often left him overnight.He sometimes will acknowledge my presence for 5 mins when i get home,then wander back to bed :D other days he's more needy. Cats are very different to dogs, who require company and dont do well being left on their own for long periods of time.Its the reason why dog daycare is so popular and not vice versa. If you think you can manage it, id definitely get 2 cats (2 kittens from the same litter possibly).

Cats sleep for quite a lot of the day but you can provide some mental stimulation in the form of toys,cat climbing trees etc when they feel like playing. If it was me id go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

i think it the type of cat you consider to live with - i have a persian who is so beautiful and easygoing - primarily my daughter's cat - she is the master of this house - we keep her in as apt living does not suit letting cats in and out etc. we brought an "orphaned feral cat" here this time last year and they hate each other with a passion - but they manage to get along by dividing and conquering eg. i take the fighter and the persian goes with my daughter - (bed, sitting on the back of the chair when studying, etc.) if you decide with one or two, they will give you the best company and comfort you could ever wish for!....best of luck! x:)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

We've always had cats and dogs at home, Cats are much easier to care for and require little care and attention once they've grown from kitten.

Cats are very happy just left alone for a few hours while you're out, overnight sometimes if food, water and stimulation such as toys are left out.

Obviously with 2 cats, they would have company but in my experience, cats are fine when they don't have a mate or friend.

Some things to keep in mind are:
    Male cats when grown will tend to wander looking for a mate when let out so get him neutered.
    Female cats will attract other cats when in heat and you don't want the hassle of having a litter of kittens to find homes for or put pressure on animal shelters so also, get female cats neutered.

Please Please try to adopt a kitten from an animal shelter, there aren't enough people adopting from these places, it's very sad so please if you can, adopt from one.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If you adopt an adult cat, they will probably do fine with a lot of alone time - they'll just be very glad to see you when you get home and will want to be up on your lap for rubs and cuddles for the evening. :) Once you have a solid feeding routine, an adult cat should be fine. They're not as needy as dogs, but that doesn't mean they don't love company and appreciate your being around!

But a kitten would most definitely be lonely, no doubt about it. It'd break your heart to hear them miaowing! If you'd like a kitten I would definitely get two. If you adopt from a rescue group, the cats/kittens are usually already neutered and vaccinated, which is a huge saving for you, even if a donation is required. (Our group ask for €80, which I think is a bargain for a vet-checked, healthy, neutered, wormed and fully vaccinated kitty!)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Years ago, I got an Abyssinian kitten that was heartbroken whenever I left the house. She was an indoor cat and really needed some company. She loved playing and really needed lots of attention - she would fetch her toys and drop them back on my lap for me to throw them again!

So I got her a pal (a Burmese) and they were the best of friends - I never saw them fight and they would spend hours grooming each other.

And TBH the two cats were prob less work than the single cat.

But I do agree with a previous poster - this might have had something to do with their breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Two kittens are less trouble than one, provided you can afford the extra food and vet care. One kitten would be very lonely with you out all day, ideally look for 2 siblings - they'll keep each other busy playing all day, and much more fun for you to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Cats are Cute :)
    She's not a fat cat, just has her winter coat. Feels like a thick carpet :P
    IMG_01661_1.jpg
    (My Mams' Cat Chleo)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

Good for you, cats are great creatures and the shelters are so overcrowded at the minute. I'd agree with the lady who said 2 cats would be better for company but only if you're comfortable with the idea of it. Two cats will be a little more work but cats are such independent, clean creatures anyways. It would be best to have an extra litter box and bowls to avoid territory problems. Plus you're giving two animals a lovely home.

If you're getting a male and a female from the same litter they may mate so ensure you neuter if this is the route you'd like to take. Vaccinations will obviously be even more important with your multicat households. I'm not sure where you are located but most animal shelters will have an idea of cats who work well together, often holding out for people who request 2 as they don't want to seperate them.

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cato85

What a response :) !!

Thanks a million to everyone that's helped me a lot!
    I'm going to go ahead with it I just need to have a think about getting one or two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Cato85 wrote: »
    What a response :) !!

Thanks a million to everyone that's helped me a lot!
    I'm going to go ahead with it I just need to have a think about getting one or two!!

I got 2 little kittens 2 weeks ago, they're sisters! I got them from a lady I work with and we got one 3 days before the other. She was so lonely and scared and meowing all the time. When her sister arrived she was completely different and the two of them are always together playing or snuggled up asleep. The two of them were playing with a toy mouse today so cute! :D I'd recommend getting two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I have 2 cats much more fun for me and them. 1st one would just cry and look so sad so got 2nd one now they spend half the time grooming each other and the other half "killing"each other tearing round the place lol

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi OP,

My boyfriend and I moved to a new house a few months ago, finally a suitable house for a pet. i wanted a dog, he wanted a cat...we ended up adopting a 3 month old kitten from our local vets.

I also have never had a pet cat before, only dogs, the same with my boyfriend. There were so many tiny adorable kittens in our vets that needed homes. You can always check in your local vets and see if they have any or check your nearest animal rescue centre.

I am glad we got a 3 MONTH old rather than just a few weeks because he was already showing his true personality, affectionate and playful, just what we wanted. Not all cats are affectionate and I love pet cuddles.

He is now almost 7 months old and we have just let him outdoors for the first time. It is ok to keep them indoors as long as they have food and water and some toys.

If you get a young kitten, be ready for super stinking litter trays and hyper play...its well worth it though.

Good Luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cato85

Thanks very much everyone.
    I'm most likely going to go for two cats :)

Advertisement