Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Colour Code 06 Focus

Options
  • 07-01-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Have a light blue 2006 focus Lx

Wing mirrors, "spoiler" door handles, fog light surrounds and black strips on the doors and below the boot aren't in colour.

Main ones I'd love are wing mirrors & spoiler, then door handles if they weren't to much.

Any one any idea how much one would expect to pay to get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Prices will vary hugely depending on how much prep work theyll do. This will determine how good a job is done.

For the side rubbing strips I'd order new ones ans get them painted off the car, same with the other parts (get taken off, not buy new)

By spoiler, I presume it's a small yoke at the top of the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ye that's what I mean by spoiler, have heard it referred to differently, hence why its in inverted comas :P

why should the rubbing strips be bought new?

glad to hear the other parts are usable

Rubbing strips are rubbery plastic with self adhesive backing, they'll most likely have taken a few knocks, be a few years old, soaked up all sorts of detergents,
    You'd probably be able to order them in already painted.

perfect sounds good.any where you'd recommend getting them done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I've seen a focus totally 100% colour coded and honestly you will regret it.

You say wing mirrors but do you mean the entire mirror fixing or just the face on it? As for the door strips a lot of places wont paint them as they chip and flake away easily. The door handles will also Do the same idealy you could replace them with handles off a colour coded car, other than that I'd recommend buying a new set that are primed for painting but they wont be the same quality as the originals.

I have a zetec 3 door and it came with a body kit from ford (similar to the 08 wrc model) the only thing on mine not colour coded is the surround for the fogs, the face of the mirror is, but not the entire mirror fixing, and the strips on the doors, idealy I prefer them removed rather than painted, but there are guide holes beneath them.

My point is some areas need the black trim for practicality, like the mirror fixture.

I'd say go with reclaimed parts if possible, the areas you want sprayed will chip easy if they are the black trim sanded and sprayed.

I'm not saying it will happen in weeks but wear and tear / jet washes etc it will eventually flake away.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Rubbing strips are rubbery plastic with self adhesive backing, they'll most likely have taken a few knocks, be a few years old, soaked up all sorts of detergents,
    You'd probably be able to order them in already painted.

They would only be primed

I'd imagine they're a non textured plastic anyway

its just the removal bit of the wing mirror, pretty much the whole back, think it slots on over the top, it did on my polo anyway. The bottom and bit going onto the car would stay black plastic or whatever it is.

the main two are wing mirrors and the "spoiler" (is there another name for it?). I've seen them done and it looks way better.

The polo had the wing mirrors (just the face), door handles and bit where the top brake light is and it looks really well.

Door handles will make a huge difference

they will.

should i go to a ford dealer or somewhere else?

• Advertisement

Somewhere else

any suggestions??

alexlyons wrote: »
    any suggestions??

I went to the scrap yard in killcock a few weeks ago and you would be surprised the amount of blue focus they have, mines a red 3door and impossible to get anything for there.

But every focus was a 5 door hatchback, it's worth a look for the handles and as for the mirror yep they pop off so you could pick them up too, it's much cheaper than painting them. As for the spoiler that may be more difficult, I personally would get a primed one, I'm not for spurious parts so ford would be my place to go and pick up a primed one, or again you could get lucky and pick one up in the yard, it's not often they would have a flipped focus

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Focus with colour coded wing mirrors only have a removal panal on the housing that is colour coded. Not all the housing is colour coded. A scrap yard will only sell you the entire wing mirror, not just the panels. It would probably be cheaper to take off the existing black panel on the housing and get it sprayed.

This is what I am talking about:
    139.JPG

Even if you find a scraped Focus in the same colour, it may work out pretty expensive to buy most of the colour coded parts, Probably nearly as expensive as getting spurious parts painted. You would be looking for the Style models also which were sold around 2007/2008 just before the facelift. Even the Ghia models were not entirely colour coded.

I was talking about that, but I've seen a focus with the entire mirror housing colour coded, it was unbelievable. as for getting them in the yard, I know people that got just the piece they wanted and not the entire housing, from my experiences they sold them separate and I would never recommend spurious parts, they never fit right even wipers they are never as good as the specific model ford ones.

Try the place in killcock and just ask the lads when you find what you want they are real helpful

Thanks, will look into killcock.

Emailed 2 crash repair companies about getting the original parts sprayed so hopefully hear back tomorrow.

I've no idea what shade of blue mine is, knowing would be handy

Thanks, will look into killcock.

Emailed 2 crash repair companies about getting the original parts sprayed so hopefully hear back tomorrow.

I've no idea what shade of blue mine is, knowing would be handy

Your colour code is on the Inside of the driver door, on the metal plate, im not 100% sure where the letter is though

If your getting it painted I wouldn't worry as they will get it themselves to order the paint

Or

If your going to get the stuff in the yard, just take a photo of the plate and show the lads they should be able to help, I'm sure you could tell by eye though if the scrap car is the same.

It's worth a look I think as the other poster said the prep work can run the price up, if you don't find what you are looking for and your getting it painted I would recommend the smart repair centre in Ballymount, tallaght at the the lidl-aldi end.

I had some work done from them and the price was fine, the work was perfect, I got prices in several places and a lot of them wanted to replace the bumper running the price up, one was around 900 euro! It was around 250-300 in the end.

The lad that owns it too is sound and honest, ask for Kevin, he does a call out service too for small jobs.

thats brilliant, thanks for the info.

Didn't know it was on the car but assumed it should be somewhere. I reckon getting the parts in a yard would be better, I've no issue fitting anything like the spoiler etc. myself.

wondering would a yard take a partial swap?
    any thoughts on how much you'd pay for say 4 door handles or the spoiler? just as a guide so I walk in with a bit of knowledge

thats brilliant, thanks for the info.

Didn't know it was on the car but assumed it should be somewhere. I reckon getting the parts in a yard would be better, I've no issue fitting anything like the spoiler etc. myself.

wondering would a yard take a partial swap?
    any thoughts on how much you'd pay for say 4 door handles or the spoiler? just as a guide so I walk in with a bit of knowledge

I'm not sure about that, it seems to be more about engine components rather than body work there.
    The mirrors and spoiler would be easy enough, the door handes are another thing, personally I wouldn't mess with my own.

Did you consider getting the colour coded part above the fogs? It's a little panel.

If your far enough from the place maybe ring them first to see about part swap and what they have in.

I got a few pieces there,

The rear wiper arm fixture,
    The brushed chrome fixing and leather for the gearbox,
    A clip to hold the fuse board cover in place,
    And I got the black trim off the back of one of the boots, the piece the reg lights are housed in.

(i got that to see how it would look if I was to sand and spray it myself, it was just something I wanted to try and I wasn't doing out to my own just incase it went @rse ways!!)

I got all that for ten euro!
    plus I hadn't any tools and was not dressed to be in a salvage yard at all, my shoes got destroyed (I was in the area and dropped in) so the lads in the office stripped anything I needed! They were very helpful.

I'm a girl as you prob. guessed, so I'm sure they were wondering what on earth I was thinking with my list and not a single tool at hand tip-toeing through the yard.. Haha

Ye I'll give them a ring and see what they say, hopefully they'll have a few bits and pieces.

Door handles would be tricky enough, I might get them fitted. Thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement