Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a vet come out to my house to put my dog down?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

It's a long story, one which I'm too upset to go into. But basically my dog has cancer and I was told he would need to be put down soon. He's on medication but he's after getting very bad in the past 24 hours and I don't think I could even manage to bring him into the vet tomorrow to put him to sleep. He's not well enough to bring in the car. He's a Labrador and his tumour started bleeding today and it's quite bad. He can barely stand.

So I'm just wondering, do vets ever come out to your house to put an animal down if the pet is not well enough to go into the vets office? We know our vet quite well he's a neighbour of ours in fact but I wouldn't say we were close friends with him either. I don't want to ask him if he can come out to my house to do it if it's putting him in an awkward situation or if it's not allowed. So does anyone know if vets in Ireland ever do this? Would I be wrong to ask him to come out to my house to do it? What would you do? I don't want to be imposing or anything but my dog is after getting so bad very quickly and I'm worried about how I will manage to bring him in tomorrow. :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Sorry to hear that. We were in a very similar situation about a month ago, our dog declined very quickly and the vet came to the house. Was much easier for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Yes vets do house calls. Years ago our family dog was in a bad way & I called our vet - who happened to be a neighbour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

absolutely, vets do house calls all the time.

If he is that ill make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'm so sorry about your dog.

The last time I had to have a dog I owned pts was a few years ago now but the vet did come out to the house to do it because she was too sick and unsteady to get into the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm sorry to read this.

I had to call the vet to put my boy Remy down on Christmas Eve three years ago. The vet was very helpful and understanding. She administered the injection and he passed away quietly in my arms. It was a difficult decision but thr right one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

Of course, it's not awkward to ask and it's a common request. Very sorry to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sorry to hear it OP

Yes, outcalls can be a large part of a vets job.

It's an upsetting request for you but straightforward for the vet, they will come out if you call them

Advertisement