Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you stop a dog peeing on car wheels?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi all,

Like the title says, is there a way of stopping a dog from peeing on car wheels. It's really irritating. He is a collie about 1 year old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Why would you want to?

Give him to someone else, I'd imagine he's sick of you shouting at him for pissing on a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Have a look at the "leave it" command, it works for just about everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If we can please stick to suggestions to resolve the OPs question, that don't involve comments about getting rid of the dog please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Be grateful he doesn't pee on your leg - I've suffered that indignity several times and once was peed on my back when I bent down to tie my shoe lace :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hi all,

Like the title says, is there a way of stopping a dog from peeing on car wheels. It's really irritating. He is a collie about 1 year old.

Not being smart but why do you find it irritating?? - unless the car is a valuable vintage model I can't see the big deal myself:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can understand your vexation if he's weeing on every car. The best way I've found is to gently pull him on while saying 'Come on'. Eventually he'll learn that you don't stop while walking and will curtail his weeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

he just marking his territory....... so technicly ....... they are now his wheels!:eek::eek:...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The only way you can stop a dog peeing anywhere is to watch him every second and jerk on the lead and yell "no!"when he cocks his leg. That is a pain for both owner and, especially, the dog. When one lives in a city, there are parked cars everywhere and I just let my dog do his thing. What harm can a few drops of dog pee do to a wheel in a country where it rains so much? It will be washed off in no time.:):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If your dog wees on my wheels, I'll wee on your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

my sister's westie does this every single time i drive in - a "welcoming sign" says she - no point being "pissed" about it - personally i think it is the two finger gesture as they come in from the garden to make me a cup of tea and he has to follow.........:)

and then he gets adored by all!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Is it just car wheels he does the business on?

Why is it so irritating?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My Springer is 10 this year and he's always wee'd on car wheels. My friends always expect it when they come to visit. If he doesn't they're like "Hey why didn't he wee on my wheel? Does he not like me anymore?" :D:D

Guess you would just have to keep a close eye on the dog and shout and pull him away from the car when he goes to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he's not neutered already have him neutered, it won't cure the problem but may help decrease it (responsible thing to do anyway).

The rain will wash off any pee anyway.

It's not clear whether you want the dog to stop peeing on your car or any car, if any car just keep an eye on him when he's on the lead and gently ..don't tug..steer him away before he gets anywhere near a car. If it's your own then if possible park it somewhere else or use a car cover, there are plastic things you stick in the ground that are supposed to encourage dogs to pee in that spot so you could put one in the garden to steer the dog away from the car.

But either way a hose or rain will wash any pee off it's really no biggy better to pee there then in the house.

If he's not neutered already have him neutered, it won't cure the problem but may help decrease it (responsible thing to do anyway).
    I don't care what anyone says, neutered dogs get FAT, it shouldn't be allowed.

My sis got two from the ispca over the years, even though she fed the second one measured amounts from one of those Hills Scientific cup yokes he still got Fat and Lazy.

Disagree with me all ye want but if you do you are wrong.

Better off putting a poor dog down than neutering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My sis got two from the ispca over the years, even though she fed the second one measured amounts from one of those Hills Scientific cup yokes he still got Fat and Lazy.

All of my dogs are neutered, all of them are working dogs and none of them are fat. So i disagree with you and no, I'm not wrong.

Heres an idea, instead of putting a dog down rather than neuter it, put all the pups down that it needlessly produces.

That is a completely ridiculous statement to make - especially without any scientific evidence to back up your claim.

I have two neutered females and they are not fat, nor are they overweight.
    They are fed the correct amount and exercised well.
    I would suggest if your sister has a 'fat' dog, that she see her vet to check there are no underlying issues.

However this thread is not about the pros/cons of neutering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Dogs get fat because of their owners feeding it too much and not exercising it enough, not because it was neutered. :rolleyes: A neutered dog requires about 15% less energy so you feed it less or put it on a low energy food. Disagree with me all you want but your wrong. :p

As for the problem of peeing on wheels, mine's the same, he'l pee on every wheel (and fence, bush, wall, stone, post, gate and blade of grass) he passes if given the chance. I let him have his pee or two at the start of a walk but after that if I think he's gonna stop to pee on something I keep on walking, otherwise the walk would take me twice as long. He cops on after a while and stops to pee less when I walk him, if someone else walks him he quite literally takes the piss and stops to pee on everything. He's also neutered but still feels the urge to mark everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No they dont, seriously, you need to get your facts right. The only reason dogs get fat is down to their owners. Its up to them to sort their diet once they have been neutered. Increase the exercise and cut down the food a little, its not rocket science.

Its statements like these that have people misinformed and lead to people making stupid and ill informed decisions on the health and welfare of their dogs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's some great evidence there Avalanche! Yes, basing all your evidence on one dog that your sister owned once is a great basis for telling everyone else they're wrong :rolleyes:
    Interestingly, owners who measure their dog's food with a measuring cup are likely to vary by up to 20% in the amount they feed their dog day to day! So, it's a good idea to accurately measure your dog's daily allowance with an electric weighing scales.
    As ISDW indicates, surely it's crueller to leave an unwanted litter of poups to their fate than to humanely remove the reproductive organs of a dog not intended for breeding?

Anyway...
    OP, I think part of the problem with a dog you know peeing on your car wheels may be worsened by the probability that every time you park your car anywhere else, every dog in that neighbourhood is cocking his leg on your wheels. So, you drive the car home, and the resident dog can smell all the "imposters" from your car... he can hardly resist overmarking all these foreign smells from your car on his patch!
    It might help if you wash your wheels with a biological washing powder in solution every few days: this should remove the scent of other dogs from your car, and make your wheels less attractive to all dogs as there isn't a doggy smell from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Hi all,

Apart from all previous comments, why does it bother you?
    It doesn't do any harm, considering where the car wheels are driving over usually. They are dirty anyway and with worse than dog pee.

The dog just makes sure that the car is still part of his territory. Sniffing car wheels is for a dog like looking on holiday brochures for humans.
    And to pee on them is to make sure they are his and not some foreign object. He is actually protecting you and your property by marking it.

You should start to understand a dog and praise him for doing his territorial duty actually.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    All of my dogs are neutered, all of them are working dogs and none of them are fat. So i disagree with you and no, I'm not wrong.

Heres an idea, instead of putting a dog down rather than neuter it, put all the pups down that it needlessly produces.
    Their is a case to spay the females, if done after the right age.
    star-pants wrote: »
    That is a completely ridiculous statement to make - especially without any scientific evidence to back up your claim.

I have two neutered females and they are not fat, nor are they overweight.
    They are fed the correct amount and exercised well.
    I would suggest if your sister has a 'fat' dog, that she see her vet to check there are no underlying issues.
    Females are less likely to become obese or have as many of the dangerous side effects as males.
    star-pants wrote: »
    However this thread is not about the pros/cons of neutering.
    Fair enough, last post on it.
    Zapperzy wrote: »
    Dogs get fat because of their owners feeding it too much and not exercising it enough, not because it was neutered. :rolleyes: A neutered dog requires about 15% less energy so you feed it less or put it on a low energy food. Disagree with me all you want but your wrong. :p
    andreac wrote: »
    No they dont, seriously, you need to get your facts right. The only reason dogs get fat is down to their owners. Its up to them to sort their diet once they have been neutered. Increase the exercise and cut down the food a little, its not rocket science.

Its statements like these that have people misinformed and lead to people making stupid and ill informed decisions on the health and welfare of their dogs.
    If I hadn't got involved with the second (also male) Dog when I saw him start to put on the weight, I'd agree with ye. I even started bringing him to fields full of Rabbit scents so that he could free run, the only exercise he was interested in was rolling in Fox sh*it.
    DBB wrote: »
    That's some great evidence there Avalanche! Yes, basing all your evidence on one dog that your sister owned once is a great basis for telling everyone else they're wrong :rolleyes:
    Interestingly, owners who measure their dog's food with a measuring cup are likely to vary by up to 20% in the amount they feed their dog day to day! So, it's a good idea to accurately measure your dog's daily allowance with an electric weighing scales.
    As ISDW indicates, surely it's crueller to leave an unwanted litter of poups to their fate than to humanely remove the reproductive organs of a dog not intended for breeding?
    I said two.:rolleyes:

20% you say?:rolleyes:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffectsofspayneuterindogs.pdf

Back on topic guys - pros/cons of neutering can be had in another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Weeing on wheels is as about a natural thing for a dog to do as breathing so you have an uphill struggle to break this urge with your dog.

You would need to stop ALL dogs from doing the same thing because your dog would smell other scents of dogs coming in to his territory on the car wheels and he would have the natural urge to pee all over it and mark his territory.

Good luck with this one ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thanks Avalanche, I've read that before, and indeed have read most of the research papers that went into putting your linked document together.
    Yes, 20% I say. But, I'm wondering, what has this link got to do with the fact that I said that owners who feed dogs from a measuring cup can vary the amount they give by up to 20% per day (thus leading to obesity not related to neutering)?
    Methinks you have utterly misread what I said.
    Still, 2 dogs eh? That's me convinced of your argument. I'll throw in a few of these smilies while I'm at it: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DBB wrote: »
    Thanks Avalanche, I've read that before, and indeed have read most of the research papers that went into putting your linked document together.
    Yes, 20% I say. But, I'm wondering, what has this link got to do with the fact that I said that owners who feed dogs from a measuring cup can vary the amount they give by up to 20% per day (thus leading to obesity not related to neutering)?
    Methinks you have utterly misread what I said.
    Still, 2 dogs eh? That's me convinced of your argument. I'll throw in a few of these smilies while I'm at it: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Link wasn't a direct response to what you said.

Is anyone in this Thread a Vet??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

My mates Norwegian Elkhound sprays my wheels as I drive into his house no biggie, it's actually funny watching him..

LAST warning - respond specifically to the OPs query or not at all.
    Neutering has been mentioned as an option so please suggest other options.

Advertisement