Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these good gaming specs?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

First time posting so delete this if its not where it should be.

anywhere hear are the specs

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX - Socket 1155 - ATX

Processer - Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155

Graphics card - ASUS GeForce ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5- 1GB -PCI-E

Case - Antec Nine Hundred -Gaming Midi Tower- no PSU

PSU - Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750 - 750 Watt

Hard drive - Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB - Hard Drive

Tell me what you think please.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PC building is over thataway
    > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

You get a lot more replies from people in the know over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

First time posting so delete this if its not where it should be.

anywhere hear are the specs

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX - Socket 1155 - ATX

Processer - Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155

Graphics card - ASUS GeForce ENGTX560 Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5- 1GB -PCI-E

Case - Antec Nine Hundred -Gaming Midi Tower- no PSU

PSU - Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750 - 750 Watt

Hard drive - Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB - Hard Drive

Tell me what you think please.

Yeah that's a decent set-up, should play everything available right now on max settings with decent fps.

The i5 2500ks are also great for overclocking if you have good enough cooling and airflow, I have mine running at 4.6 but even as standard at 3.3 you should be good to go with the option of overclocking later if you want too.

It's obviously a rig built with saving funds in mind so in that respect you can't go wrong. Can you give some insight into what exactly you will be playing on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LaughingLuke

cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LaughingLuke

Big Knox wrote: »
    Yeah that's a decent set-up, should play everything available right now on max settings with decent fps.

The i5 2500ks are also great for overclocking if you have good enough cooling and airflow, I have mine running at 4.6 but even as standard at 3.3 you should be good to go with the option of overclocking later if you want too.

It's obviously a rig built with saving funds in mind so in that respect you can't go wrong. Can you give some insight into what exactly you will be playing on it??
    Games like skyrim counter strike BF3 TF2 wow swtor mass effect 1 2 & 3 diablo 3 and alot more just cant think at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

are you buying that system or you building it or thats something you got already?

i will be honest, that is really not bad spec at all.

good motherbeard, but who ever chose motherboard did a mistake on cpu. that mobo lets you overclock like crazy, but CPU does not. good thin - this mobo has 1155 socket, so you will be able to upgrade for new CPUs coming out in april ( avy bridge ). dont understand me wrong, its still very good cpu, but it better needed 2500k version.

Gpu is grand, it will do for now, good thing is that mobo got sli, so you can drop in second 560 ti later on. those scale lovely!

other then that this is a good pc, for gaming.

p.s. welcome to the dark side ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

p.s. welcome to the dark side ;)

I'd be more of the "step into the light" argument, PC being the ultimate in gaming :)

No need to reply console boys,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

very similar spec to my PC i built just before christmas, only big difference is went for a 6870oc, runs everything at max settings quite easily (BF3 is really smooth).

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'd be more of the "step into the light" argument, PC being the ultimate in gaming :)

No need to reply console boys,

DARK SIDE IS STRONGER! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

A friend of mine said you need 2 GTX 590's to be able to run BF3 on ultra at 85-90FPS.

HovaBaby wrote: »
    A friend of mine said you need 2 GTX 590's to be able to run BF3 on ultra at 85-90FPS.

statements like this make average JOE think, that pc gaming is DEAD, Dying, expensive,snobish and full of pricks... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Games like skyrim counter strike BF3 TF2 wow swtor mass effect 1 2 & 3 diablo 3 and alot more just cant think at the moment

Skyrim you should get close to maxing out at 1920x1200/1080 at around 30fps. I would recommend the Sky Boost mod to boost performance in city areas.

Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2, you will be able to max out at 2560x1600/1440. Should be able to achieve 60fps.

BF3, you will be able to go to second highest settings at 1920x1200/1080 at maybe 40fps. Ultra settings at that resolution where designed with 2 GTX 580's in mind but people say you can get away with just 1, but its pretty borderline.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 you will be able to max at 2560x1600/1440.

Diable 3 I couldn't tell you. Not out yet, but you will probably be able to run it at close to its highest settings at the very least.

Star Wars, The Old Republic. You will be able to max at 1920x1200/1080 but you will get stutter in area's with a high density of players regardless of the rig you have such as the capital fleets. I believe this is common to all MMO player hubs but its largely irrelevant as missions don't happen there.

When I talk about max settings, I talk about in game settings only. Running stuff like super sampling anti-aliasing or high levels of AA designed to smooth transparant textures from the graphics card control panel will cripple most games frame rates.

Also there are some games that will not run on max settings smoothly on current hardware. For example Batman AC and Metro 2033 with all DX11 features enabled have a minimum frame rate thats too low to be considered playable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If that is a list for an order you are planning to make, you seem to have forgotten to include RAM.
    I have similarish spec (MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk and i7 processor).

This is the RAM I chose, and I think it's good:

Corsair XMS3 - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5

You might also find you need a cpu cooler. I certainly needed one, though you could see if the case fans are sufficient first if you want. [I have antec 300 case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Get a much bigger hard drive, 500gb really isn't very much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

danthefan wrote: »
    Get a much bigger hard drive, 500gb really isn't very much these days.

Hold off on that for now though, prices have gone way up due to flooding in Thailand.

Perhaps a nice 90/120GB SATA 600 SSD is in order.
    I have Skyrim loading levels before I can read the text.
    (Have Steam and most games on HDD, moved Skyrim over after installing using Steam Mover)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

1tb hard drive seems to be the standard nowadays so I'd recommend that. If you needed to save money you could downgrade the PSU to around 600w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

HovaBaby wrote: »

I get those frame rates with a single GTX 580 on BF3 on Ultra. But I'm playing at 1680 x 1050 so maybe that's why. :confused:

(i5 2600k & 16gb ddr 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

joshrogan wrote: »
    1tb hard drive seems to be the standard nowadays so I'd recommend that. If you needed to save money you could downgrade the PSU to around 600w
    Don't forget that HDD prices went up after the floods in Thailand way back in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Just a quick question,

on bargain alerts , there is a dell pc unit (tower only) for sale.

what do you guys reckon about it. its been 8 years since i really played games on PC , but really considering going back to the PC as well as my PS3.

Had a holiday planned for Feb, but that's sort of cancelled so might spend a bit of that money on a nice gaming PC linky

2smiggy wrote: »
    Just a quick question,

on bargain alerts , there is a dell pc unit (tower only) for sale.

what do you guys reckon about it. its been 8 years since i really played games on PC , but really considering going back to the PC as well as my PS3.

Had a holiday planned for Feb, but that's sort of cancelled so might spend a bit of that money on a nice gaming PC linky

Its excellent apart from the graphics card. Overkill in fact, cheaper parts will perform just as well.
    How much do you think you could spend?

i have the desk, chair and speaker system already. would probably be willing to spend around 800 on the desktop and monitor.

it's been so long now since I opened up a computer and replaced parts myself (my college days) that i don't have the first idea about building one myself, or the costs really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sisko wrote: »
    I get those frame rates with a single GTX 580 on BF3 on Ultra. But I'm playing at 1680 x 1050 so maybe that's why. :confused:

(i5 2600k & 16gb ddr 3)

Resolution is everything in these things. A 580 at 1680 x 1050 is a monster. Too powerful if anything.

2smiggy wrote: »
    i have the desk, chair and speaker system already. would probably be willing to spend around 800 on the desktop and monitor.

it's been so long now since I opened up a computer and replaced parts myself (my college days) that i don't have the first idea about building one myself, or the costs really.

Monotype to the rescue.
    You can add an item of that site to tell them to build it for you. Costs about €20. Here it is.

Which leaves you about €200 for monitor more if you don't want to overclock.. You need a KB and mouse as well?

€195 Monitor

I've looked high and low and I can't beat those specs for that price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

8ms response monitor for gaming? Are you mad? It'll be like an episode of Scooby Doo with all the ghosting :p 2ms all the way. Those Dell monitors are excellent kit otherwise, but response time is king for gaming.

I got 2 of these monitors recently, they're excellent. I use them for PC and XBox gaming and they manage both extremely well. Friend of mine has one for over 3 years and it's as good today as it was when he bought it new.

i will have a good look this evening after work.

seems i could spend my money worse ! with the PS4 probably 2014 or beyond away, and BF3 looking so poor in comparison to the PC version it's logical enough to take the plunge again !!

Shiminay wrote: »
    8ms response monitor for gaming? Are you mad? It'll be like an episode of Scooby Doo with all the ghosting :p 2ms all the way. Those Dell monitors are excellent kit otherwise, but response time is king for gaming.

I got 2 of these monitors recently, they're excellent. I use them for PC and XBox gaming and they manage both extremely well. Friend of mine has one for over 3 years and it's as good today as it was when he bought it new.

I'll let you know in a few days, there's one in the post. :p

The Ilyama is a safer bet for now, but I'll get back to you guys with a quick review.

Advertisement