Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back surgery in UK

Options
  • 06-01-2012 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Folks, first time poster, long term lurker. I've had a longterm back injury, sustained 2.5 yrs ago. I had alot of pain in this time and have tried to treat it (unsucessfully) in alot of different ways, including 3 epidurals, surgery, facet joint injections and alot of medication.
    Nothing has worked so far and the consultant who was treating me has been less than helpful, eventhough he came highly recommended. After alot of research, I eventually went to meet with a consultant in Exeter, in the UK whom I was very impressed with.
    He provided me with an option which would involve surgery in the UK (it isn't available here). The cost of this surgery is expensive (€21k) and I have applied to my insurance company here and they are only willing to cover less than half of the cost. Is there a way to challenge this?
    They seem to be basing it on a comparable operation here but the recovery time is much longer and the success rate much lower. I can get this surgery done soon but I'm wondering what my options are financially. I'd love to hear if anyone has gone through a similar situation and how they dealt with it. Thanks in advance Bets

Advertisement