Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online or In the Shop

Options
  • 06-01-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭

Just wondering in general what people do when their gambling do you do it online or in your local bookies. Got a decent run over christmas but lost most of it back and just had a look over my bank statement for the last month and i was shocked. €10 after €10 after €15 that you wouldnt even think about because its not coming out of your pocket. Bets i do on the phone when im out having a few bottles just for a bit of interest in something i know nothing about. Im trying to give up gambling for awhile maybe just do a coupon on the weekend and back tips. But being on the laptop and bored is tough to avoid putting in money to back for the sake of it. The reason i do bets online is the guaranteed prices and more options for bets but does anybody else find it too addictive. Im taking a break from gambling except tips and a Saturday coupon. I think i will cancel my cards online and stick to the shops the walk will put me off going backin in sellers on a Monda morning etc. I would think more carefully when i feel the money coming out of my wallet. My question i supposse online or local bookies, what do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I rarely bet in shops. I'd say 95% of bets online

TBH I don't think its for you. If you can't track your bets, and find it addictive, you're doing the right thing in leaving the online game behind.

Maybe when you feel comfortable enough you can start by lodging cash into your online accounts at the likes of Paddy and Boyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Im the same. I've stopped betting online. It doesn't feel like your actually spending money cause your not handing over cash and your lossescan build up fairly quickly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Has to be in hard cash. Wheather at the track or in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pool8

gave it up except for certain racing times like chelt or grand national, in general just big race meetings throughout the year.try doing that and not everyday betting as there is generally only 1 outcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Correct, generally only the one outcome. But if you do it in cash you respect it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Cash reinforces the opportunity cost in your mind moreso than digits on a screen obviously but if you are betting for the sake of betting that is a different problem entirely.

Set yourself a monthly limit and only do one deposit for that month and if you bust you have to wait until the 1st to lodge again.

avoid the shops alltogether. You will probably end up backing whatever sh1te race happens to be on when you walk in.

Advertisement