Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic: Extended Essay

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey guys,
    I'm doing the Russian October Revolution 1917 for my history research topic and it's been pretty interesting so far. However, I really haven't a clue what to write for the extended essay. Do I write a simple account of the events? Or the months leading up to the revolution? Or do I attempt to analyse and comment on the revolution? It is quite a controversial topic with a number of conflicting views so I would be able to discuss these if needed.

Enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Simply put you would want to do: background to revolution (reasons, people involved), the actual revolution and the results/effects of the revolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Right, quite simply the word count isn't enough to do a lot in detail. I recommend picking one specific event or person under your umbrella topic, October revolution, and focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Simply put you would want to do: background to revolution (reasons, people involved), the actual revolution and the results/effects of the revolution

Concur; you'd want to give a narrative (what actually happened) but also give an analysis of events (why they happened; why were people angry, why then, why there, who were the key actors and how they go on/didn't).

The greater a level of analysis you can bring the better it will look to whoever's correcting your work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

constantg wrote: »
    Concur; you'd want to give a narrative (what actually happened) but also give an analysis of events (why they happened; why were people angry, why then, why there, who were the key actors and how they go on/didn't).

The greater a level of analysis you can bring the better it will look to whoever's correcting your work

Yours is the same as mine in a different order. You would obviously go into greater detail but i did say simply put at the start, them three headings would be the basis for the 12-15 paragraphs you would write

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Russian October Revolution is too vague. You should pick a specific part of it and write about that. You won't have enough space to go into proper detail about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

Are you in 5th or 6th year? What level are you at? Have you prepared the preliminary parts of the question (define, justify, etc, as well as the evaluation of sources)? The advice to focus on a specific part of the revolution is very good, as you should show evidence of research, and in a greater level of depth to the textbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pancake16

Right, quite simply the word count isn't enough to do a lot in detail. I recommend picking one specific event or person under your umbrella topic, October revolution, and focus on that.

I did a rough draft without picking anything specific and reached the word count pretty quickly. I agree I'll probably have to narrow it down
    Russian October Revolution is too vague. You should pick a specific part of it and write about that. You won't have enough space to go into proper detail about it.

Have you any recommendations?
    Are you in 5th or 6th year? What level are you at? Have you prepared the preliminary parts of the question (define, justify, etc, as well as the evaluation of sources)? The advice to focus on a specific part of the revolution is very good, as you should show evidence of research, and in a greater level of depth to the textbook.

6th year. Higher level. I have prepared define and justify but not the evaluation of sources.

Thanks for all the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I studied Rasputin for my project. He was quite interesting, and his story takes place close to the period you are looking at. An interesting Russian character I must admit :) Contributed to the downfall of the Tsar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pancake16

I'm thinking of concentrating on Lenin's role in the October Revolution. Do ye think this is a good idea? It would allow me to be a lot more specific and less vague.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Lenin is on the course though, and that could count against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I think doing more research on the Irish Anglo Treaty or the Squad set up by Michael Collins. (What I'm going to try do)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

bscm wrote: »
    I studied Rasputin for my project. He was quite interesting, and his story takes place close to the period you are looking at. An interesting Russian character I must admit :) Contributed to the downfall of the Tsar
    I'm doing Rasputin too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

perhaps a popular reaction against perceived mysticism in russia during the revolution?

Advertisement