Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night-courses in IT in LIT

Options
  • 06-01-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

This question relates to the night classes offered by LIT in relation to IT.

Why are the IT Night-courses being offered so beginner level?

What I mean is that in other Colleges/Universities around the country you can do IT related degrees, masters etc. by night.

But in LIT you cannot. Why is this?

Are the IT lecturers refusing to teach any courses after 5pm? I’m not knocking the ECDL courses, I’m sure that for many people they are very useful.

But surely LIT could do better than this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Was thinking the exact same thing the other day whan I was looking through their i.t courses, was looking to do a few ms certs or something that would be worth learning to advance myself or get a better job.
    There are alot of beginners courses allright but that seems to be the way for all of the clare/limerick region. There is nowhere to do a decent course.
    Oh well will just have to move to a bigber city somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Have you contacted LIT directly rather that pitching a complaint online where no one it in LIT will see it? Contact the Lifelong learning department or the head of the Department of the are you are interested in.

Usually night classes reflect a demand from Industry, it they aren't running courses then usually there isn't a demand. There is always a fall off in numbers as the academic level progress/raises so it makes it difficult to make courses viable with small numbers.

Most courses in colleges are taught by college lecturers or lecturers from industry so that point about not teaching after 5 is moot.. normal classes in colleges run till 6pm anyway!

UL is out the road so why not look there.. actually UL run practically no night classes what so ever compared to the LIT Lifelong learning programme. UL need to get their act together more that LIT or other 3rd level colleges.

Why not look up the Open University or Ollscoil through DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Why not contact LIT directly? I have done in the past regarding courses. Unfortunately and fortunately I have a job. The upside of that is that I earn money, the downside is of course that I can’t take two days off a week to attend classes as was the requirement at the time according to the bemused person I was in contact with.

Look at the courses on offer.

Autocad Architectural: An introduction to 2D modelling
    Website Design
    PC Home Maintenance
    Cisco Certified Network Associate
    Equalskills - An ECDL programme for complete beginners
    European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)
    Advanced European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL)

Except for the Cisco course the rest could be run in someone’s garage. I don’t mean to knock the courses at all, they have their place. But LIT isn’t a third rate college, it should be offering by night the options to do levels 6, 7, 8 and 9 courses. As they do in other departments in LIT and other colleges around the country.

But do you not think that the solution to LITs lack of college level IT courses is to go somewhere else is a farcical answer? It’s a bit like ringing up the fire department and saying “Help my house is on fire” and being told “ok, go live in a different house” and accepting it.

Are LIT holding an open evening on Wednesday 11th? From having a quick look at the web site I couldn’t see any obvious reference to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Hello Mosses,

I don't think it is a farcical answer. If you can't find what you need in LIT and it's obvious that LIT don't have any intention of doing what you need, then it's obvious that you need to look elsewhere! Sligo IT do a lot of online courses that may or may not suit you.

You have chosen to show the courses that are starting this term. How many courses started in September?

Personally I would ring the relevent head of Department again, now and see if there is any interest in the courses you want. Maybe come September the course you want could be offered.

I don't know anything about the open night

Advertisement