Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus - Loss of Power

Options
  • 06-01-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having a couple of probs with my 06 Focus Diesel - would greatly appreciate any feedback -

Last weekend - brief loss of power right after start of journey; all warning lights on, "Engine Systems Fault" & "Loss of Acceleration" messages on dashboard. I turned off ignition, restarted and no probs for a couple of days.

Tues & Weds - lost power momentarily a couple of times driving home from work - all warning lights on, "Engine Systems Fault" & "Loss of Acceleration" messages on dashboard. Rang my mechanic & he advised to get a diagnostic check done. Arranged with a work colleague to do this on Thursday.

Thurs - numerous power losses within a mile of my house y'day morning. Had to get car towed to garage. The mechanic did the diagnostic check - he said the first time a couple of 'communication' errors popped up but disappeared shortly afterwards. He did numerous checks throughout the day with no more errors, took the car for a drive, tested again and still nothing. He mentioned something about a 'module' possibly being the problem (:confused:) or maybe even the key itself but tbh he'd pretty much lost me at that stage :confused: x 1,000,000

He said to keep an eye on it and pop back to him if it happens again. Was relieved in one way that I didn't have to hand over a wad of cash but still have no clue really what was causing the problem and don't think I can rely on it all now.

Anyone have any similar experiences? many thanks cm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sounds like a coil pack (common). I've had 2 of them fail on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

i doubt its your coil pack as its a diesel ,, but it will more than likely be the egr valve or maf if the problem is coming and goin . another popular problem with those cars is turbo failure would be worth popping the air pipe from the turbo and checkin to see if the turbo shaft is on its way out..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thanks for the replies.

Yer man y'day mentioned alright that the turbo tends to start acting up around 100k miles (mine is currently around 96k) but, spoke to another mechanic this morning, who reckoned that the turbo should be grand if the car is regularly serviced (which it is) and that the other guy is over-reacting.

Still far from happy and wouldn't be at all surprised if it claps out again after work today :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What codes did it bring up except the communication ones? If it only brought them codes up I don't think it would be a turbo problem as this would bring up a boast pressure code and if its a fecked turbo it will be constantly down on power.
    EGR fault will bring up a maf code and egr, has this?
    Does it cut out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

1.6 or 1.8 diesel?

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    What codes did it bring up except the communication ones? If it only brought them codes up I don't think it would be a turbo problem as this would bring up a boast pressure code and if its a fecked turbo it will be constantly down on power.
    EGR fault will bring up a maf code and egr, has this?
    Does it cut out?

It's a 1.6 L Diesel.

I didn't see the actual codes unfortunately.

The problem has settled into a pattern now - generally happens in the morning or on the way home from work. The engine itself doesn't cut out but the power goes completely and every warning light/message on the dashboard comes on.

Have found that if I drive around my estate/car park at work until the power goes, turn off the engine, wait a minute and then take off, it's grand after that. Makes zero sense I know - gonna bring it to another mechanic next wkend who said he'd have a look at it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bernardas

Some people says when batery has small power ( old ).Computer in car not enough power from batery.Becouse computer designed for stronger power from batery.And when batery is old,computer not enough power.He starting bring mistakes to dash.I am not sure will this help you.My friend selling good bateries for cars and trucks.And what he told me when I asked him,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Cartman78 wrote: »
    It's a 1.6 L Diesel.

I didn't see the actual codes unfortunately.

The problem has settled into a pattern now - generally happens in the morning or on the way home from work. The engine itself doesn't cut out but the power goes completely and every warning light/message on the dashboard comes on.

Have found that if I drive around my estate/car park at work until the power goes, turn off the engine, wait a minute and then take off, it's grand after that. Makes zero sense I know - gonna bring it to another mechanic next wkend who said he'd have a look at it:(
    If you get the fault codes we will be able to tell you a lot more. This may be an electrical/sensor issue rather than a mechanical issue. Usually Ford IDS diagnostic equipment would be better suited to you than a universal code reader. Some computers can't get all the codes from Fords thats why I recommend using the proper Ford computer.

Also do you know if this engine is a 110bhp with a diesel particle filter or just the standard 90bhp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pa99rk

Had a similar problem happen just before Christmas. I have a 1.8 petrol/biofuel focus hatch 06 with 160km on the clock. On the way to work I got the same engine warning lights and loss of power. On restarting the car it sounded fine while ticking over but if I crossed 2,000 rpm the same probelm happened. The other notable change was that the engine temperature gague was dropping rapidly and slowly returning to its regular psoition while driving. Left the car for a few days and drove 70km home from Dublin without crossing 2,000 rpm/50kmph (painful!). Took it to a Ford garage for a diagnosic it turned to be the sensors - something to do with the sensor telling the engine that it was overheating when it was not and so it shut the power off to save further damage. Car ok since but the temperature gague drops the harder/longer the engine is running for some reason!

Update - can't turn on the engine now. When I put the key in the ignition, pretty much every light on the dashboad and a whole bunch of txt messages come up. Getting it towed tmrw to another garage so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

i,l take a bet and go for a new intrument cluster let know how you get on,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Certainly sounds like a cluster issue. Banging the dashboard directly above the cluster will sometimes get it back to life. If that works then it is certainly a cluster problem. They can be repaired for small enough money so don't go shelling out a fortune for a new one.

Advertisement